Chapter 55

A few weeks went by. You were back at work and relatively happy. The Attendant was functioning perfectly, the Pizzaplex was as popular as ever, and, at your request, Bill's death was never made public. You remained down in the daycare itself, helping the Attendant with the kids while Peter dealt with drop-offs and any angry parents. Oliver was still his normal, excitable self. The only issue you had was with Jacob. He was only supposed to hang around the daycare for a week with two other security guards to make sure the Attendant didn't go on the fritz again. However, he still continued to hang around and pester you, despite your very loud complaints. Both you and Peter would regularly complain to management about this, but there didn't seem to be anything they could do. Technically, he was doing his job. He was a security guard, and as long as he was guarding the building they couldn't do much more than lecture him.

To make matters worse, for you at least, management had started getting new hires for the daycare in the hopes it would make things easier. Unfortunately, the only people who seemed to want the job were the high schoolers who refused to pull their weight, either trying to suck up to you or just lazing about. If you were being perfectly honest, you preferred the ones who didn't do anything. At least they were quiet. It was the ones who sucked up to you or who tried to impress you that made you angry.

"Hey, Mx. (l/n), do you need help with anything?" your newest hier, a kid who seemed to have some sort of petty crush on you, asked, leaning over your shoulder and looking at your computer screen.

You sighed, wanting to tell the kid to piss off.

"Yes, actually. Do you want to know how you can help?" you asked, forcing a smile as you turned to the kid. You saw him nod eagerly. "Well, you can stop looking over my shoulder and let me do my damn paperwork."

A dejected look crossed the kids face, but he nodded and went back over to his chair. A minute later, one of the kids had dragged him off into a game of tag.

"Wow, you're quite bossy with these new hiers," Jacob said. You didn't even have to turn around to know he was smirking.

"Can you shut up and leave me alone? Or do I have to go get Dave again and have him drag you out of here," you hissed.

"Chill, I'll be quiet," Jacob said, holding his hands up in slight defense.

You went back to typing on your computer, shooting a quick email to Peter complaining about the two boys bugging you. It took less than ten seconds for you to get a response. A few minutes went by and the new hier was back, spinning around in his chair and occasionally looking over your shoulder to see what you were doing. He stayed uncomfortably close to you, something that was getting on your nerves.

"So... is there anything we can do?" he asked.

"Yes. You can go watch the kids," you growled.

"Doesn't the Attendant have that covered? Why are we even here when that robot can do our job for us," the kid complained.

"Because robots have glitches and when they glitch, we need to be there to make sure no one dies," you spat.

"(y/n), calm down. He's just a kid," Jacob said.

"Can you please for the love of god just leave me alone? You're not even supposed to be here!" you said, turning around and glaring at Jacob.

"I'm just doing my job," he said.

"No, you're not. Neither of you are doing your jobs. All the two of you have been doing is pestering me all day! I haven't been able to get anything done since the two of you showed up this morning!" you said, standing up from your chair.

"I'm protecting you-"

"No you're not! You're lazing about and not doing your damn job! I can handle myself just fine! I don't need you to treat me like a helpless baby! Why can't you just leave me the hell alone?!"

"What's going on?"

You froze, recognizing Dave's voice. You glanced over your shoulder, seeing Dave glaring at the three of you while Sun and the rest of the kids quietly watched from the distance. You immediately knew you messed up. You weren't even going to try to fight it. You lost your temper, you were in the wrong.

"You two, out."

You were a little surprised. Instead of getting onto you, instead of telling you to go home and think about what you did while the fate of your job was decided, David was instead glaring at the two boys.

"But-"

"No buts. Both of you get out of here right now. We're going to have a talk with management about what the two of you've been doing," David said, interrupting the new hier.

The two boys shared a glance between each other before they turned and left. Jacob looked annoyed and dejected while the new hier just looked mad. Dave sighed, placing a hand on your shoulder.

"You okay, kid?" he asked.

"Y-yeah... I'm so sorry," you whispered.

"It's alright. You aren't the only one who's annoyed with those two brats," he said. He turned and faced the group of kids. "Sorry about all that. We didn't mean to cause a scene in front of you youngins. However, let this be a lesson. Respect people's space, especially when they're upset. If you're not careful, you'll just make them more upset. Since Mx. (y/n) isn't having a very good day, we're gonna let them go take a minute to collect themselves. We're gonna have Mr. Peter come down and take care of you all for the rest of the day."

"Yes, sir." the kids said in slight unison.

Most of them went back to playing, Oliver and Sun running over. Oliver hugged your legs, gripping onto your pants and trying to climb up into your arms while Sun gently gripped your shoulders.

"Is everything alright, Sunshine?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm alright. It's just been a rough week," you said, bending down and picking up Oliver.

"Take care of them for a minute. I'm going to go get Peter," David said, leaving the daycare.

Sun pulled you into a hug, resting his head on top of yours and nuzzling you. You hugged back with one arm, using your other arm to hold Oliver.

"You're gonna be okay, right Sunshine?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'll be alright," you said.

"Will you be back for nap time? Moon is very worried about you as well," Sun said.

"I'll try. It all just depends on how long Dave needs me for," you said.

Speaking of the devil, Dave came back into the daycare with a concerned looking Peter.

"You okay? I couldn't leave my station and was getting worried so I called Dave," he explained.

"Yeah, I'll be okay. Thank you," you said.

"Alright, kid. Let's go. You need a breather," Dave said, leading you out of the daycare.

As you left, you glanced over your shoulder, giving Peter, Sun, and Oliver a small wave.