Chapter 73

Using your security pass to get into the building, you ran straight for the daycare. You wanted to see Sun and Moon again. You wanted them back. You desperately need to see them again, to hug them, to hear them tell you that everything would be okay. Using the back halls and staff rooms, you eventually made your way into the daycare without being seen by any of the staff members. You tried to push open the wooden doors, only to find them locked. Panicking, you ran up to the slide that would let you into the daycare.

"(y/n)?"

You skidded to a stop, spinning around to see Monty standing near the main doors to the daycare. He took a few steps forward, looking visibly shaken by your appearance.

"(y/n), what are you doing here?" he asked.

"I-I-... I don't e-even know anymore," you whispered. You started violently shaking as you hugged yourself. "I-I fucked up- so bad. I pushed everyone a-away, I turned Eclipse back on, I-"

"What the heck happened to you?" he asked. He moved forward, placing a hand on your shoulder as he stared at the gauze wrapped around half of your face.

"I'm a robot," you whispered.

"What?"

"I-I'm a robot! Eclipse cut up my face and when I went to the bathroom I saw metal under my skin and my eyes are glass and- and"

"Ok, ok, calm down. You're a robot, it's ok. But right now you cannot be here," he said.

"Why?" you asked.

"Sun has been acting crazy. Crazier than normal. He's not safe to be around anymore," Monty said.

"I need to see him, though. I- I can't just leave him here," you said.

"Kid, please. You're gonna get yourself killed," he said.

"No I won't! I can't die. I can be rebuilt!"

"(y/n), please!"

Monty tried to grab your arm but you moved away, making a run for the slide.

"(y/n)!"

You climbed in, moving yourself just far enough down to where Monty couldn't grab you.

"(y/n)! Get back here!" he hissed, reaching down into the slide to try and grab you.

"Fuck off!" you hissed back.

"When I get you, I swear I'm gonna kick your-"

"Monty! There you are!"

You saw Monty quickly push himself out of the slide, standing in front of it and staring at whoever just came into the room.

"What are you doing here? You're on in ten!"

"I was gonna be there," you could hear the gator grumble.

"Come on! This is the biggest crowd we've had in a while. You're not going to be late for this."

You saw Monty walk away from the slide and the sound of a door closing a few seconds later. You tried to move to see if you could check for anyone else who could be around, but your foot slipped and you felt yourself go tumbling down the slide. You screamed, getting launched into the ball pit. You failed around for a few seconds, trying to figure out where exactly you were in relation to the ground and walls. After a few seconds, you surfaced from the ball pit and looked around. The daycare looked so dead, so lifeless. The normal music that often played when the kids were awake was still going, but it was quiet and distant.

You climbed out of the ball pit, looking around for Sun. You noticed all the cords crisscrossing on the floor, leading up into the play structures. There were dozens of different lights that had been mounted on the walls and ceiling, lighting the daycare up way more than necessary.

"Sun! Are you there?" you called, wandering around the daycare.

"(y/n)?"

You looked up, seeing Sun staring down at you from the balcony.

"(y/n)!" he exclaimed, jumping down into the ball pit before launching himself out and running towards you. Before you could even react, he had picked you up, pulling you into a hug and spinning you around. "Oh, I missed you so, so, so much! Where have you been? Where's your brother? Oh my gosh you're covered in bandages! What happened? Are you okay?"

"S-Sun, please, one question at a time," you said.

"Right! Oh, I missed you so much, Sunshine! You don't know how lonely it's been here. No one to talk to, no one to play with. But now you're here! Now we can play games, tell stories, have sleepovers. I can kiss you again! I can kiss my amazing, wonderful ray of sunshine. We don't ever have to be apart again," he rambled, holding you close and petting your hair.

You were a little put off by how much he was rambling. He sounded... desperate, scared.

"Sun, can we talk?" you asked.

"Of course! What do you want to talk about, Sunshine?" he asked, tilting his head slightly.

"I'm a robot."

Sun stared at you for a minute. Then, he let out an excited squeal and spun you around.

"That's amazing!"

"Sun!"

"This- this is perfect!"

"Sun!"

"You're just like me and-... and... Moon..." Sun trailed off, staring at the ground.

"No. No I'm not," you mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Sun asked.

"I... think I was human before. And then something happened and... I died and somehow became... this," you said, gesturing to yourself. "I'm not in my body. I'm not me. And I think there's something trying to control 'me'."

Sun held you close, nuzzling the top of your head. "It's gonna be okay, Sunshine. I'm here now. Nothing is ever going to separate us again."

"What about Moon? What happened to him?" you asked.

"I... can't let Moon out anymore. He's too far gone," Sun mumbled.

"Maybe I can talk to-"

"No! No. We don't let Moon out anymore, Sunshine. The lights don't go off. The lights stay on. Moon doesn't come out," he cut you off, his voice shaking.

"Sun, please. I can help him. I know what's happening to him, I can save him," you said.

"No! Moon does not come out!" Sun yelled, causing you to flinch. "Oh... oh, Sunshine. I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

You saw one of the cables descending from the ceiling. You watched as Sun hooked it to his back and lifted the two of you into the air. The two of you began moving towards the balcony.

"Why don't you get some rest, Sunshine?"