Chapter 56

As Dave led you away from the daycare, you felt a knot forming in your stomach. You felt so scared of what he was going to say to you. Was he mad at you? Were you going to get reprimanded? You didn't want to think about the idea that you could lose your job after what happened today. You couldn't lose this job.

"So, Peter said those two were bugging you?" Dave asked.

"Yeah... I think that new kid has a thing for me and Jacob, well... I just don't think he's supposed to be there," you said.

"He isn't. I wanted him in the main atrium today. And for the rest of the week, for that matter. Trust me, if management doesn't punish or fier that kid, I certainly will," he grumbled. You quietly nodded. "As for that new hier, talk to Veronica. Peter doesn't have the power to fire the kid. He can go to management, but he's not as persuasive as Veronica. She'll dramatize your story to hell and back, turn it into a performance that'll 'touch the hearts of the other managers' or however she says it."

You let out a small laugh, nodding. "Alright, I'll talk to her."

It was quiet as the two of you walked. You passed by the main atrium, seeing the band performing. You saw Monty up on the stage playing base. It was definitely a strange sight. However, he looked like he was having fun.

You looked at all the different guards stationed in the area, not really recognizing any of them. That's when you realized something- you hadn't seen Vanessa in a long time.

"What happened to Vanessa?" you asked.

"She's finally started doing night shifts. She's probably home right now," Dave said.

"Is she enjoying them?" you asked.

"No clue. She isn't complaining, which is good. She's at least tolerating them and has been clocking in so I can't complain. Cameras show her walking around as well, so it's not like she's slacking," he said.

You and Dave continued to talk, Dave taking you around a loop of the Pizzaplex two or three times before taking you back to the daycare. He had you trade places with one of the workers who had been filling in for Peter, telling you to take it easy and to reach out if you weren't feeling well or if something was bothering you. You briefly stopped by at nap time, sitting on the floor next to Moon for a bit in the hopes that it'd help you calm down. You, Moon, and Peter all talked for a bit, keeping your voices low. You didn't remember much of the conversation, but you did remember one thing Moon said:

"You're not the only one who feels strange."

It was something that stood out to you, a strange feeling that there was something very wrong behind those words. It made you worry about Moon, made you worry that he was still having glitches. If these glitches continued or got worse, you were scared it would get him decommissioned. You were scared that management would have his chip removed from the attendant, leaving Sun as the only animatronic at the daycare.

You eventually had to go back to the daycare's front desk, pointing parents in the direction of where they needed to pick up their kids and helping them fill out drop off forms for any kids entering the daycare. Once the day was over, you helped clean up the daycare before taking Oliver and leaving, saying your goodbyes to the attendant and sneaking a kiss to the cheek when no one was looking.

Over the next few days, you wound up staying at the front desk with Dave standing guard. He had talked to management about what had happened and Jacob and the new hier were both moved to different areas of the building. The new hier quit the next day, but Jacob still seemed to think he could get away with sneaking over to the daycare. That's why you were at the front desk with Dave. Jacob wouldn't bother Peter and Dave knew he'd go back to where he was supposed to be guarding if there was a chance he'd get caught.

Though, Jacob staying away from you at work didn't seem to make things better. Parents started complaining to you that the attendant was scaring their kids, especially Moon. They claimed that the way he was acting was creeping the kids out. Unfortunately, Peter wasn't able to defend the attendant. He confirmed that yes, he had to tell Moon to stop whatever he was doing multiple times because he was scaring the kids. And Dave was there to hear all of it.

You were terrified he would get the attendant decommissioned, especially since you knew he did the same with Foxy. You'd shoot glances at Dave every time a parent started complaining, trying to see his reactions. His face looked the same every time, though; mildly concerned with a hint of annoyance after the first two days of the complaints.

"You need to do something about that animatronic. He's scarring my son. He hasn't been able to sleep at nap time for the past five days," a woman demanded, her hands slamming on the dest you were sitting behind.

"Ma'am, we're doing our best to make sure all of the animatronics are in top shape. We're doing our best to figure out what the problem is and-"

"Obviously not! You're not doing anything to solve this problem! You just don't care about the safety of these kids," the woman said, jamming her finger into your chest.

"Ma'am, please-"

"If you don't fix this problem right now, I'm suing!"

You watched as Dave grabbed the woman's shoulder, pulling her back.

"You are not allowed, under any circumstances, to touch the employees like that. If you continue to harass our workers, I will have to escort you out," Dave said. You could see his grip on the woman's shoulder visibly tighten.

The woman yanked her shoulder away, glaring at Dave before letting out a huff and walking off with her son.

"Go switch places with Peter. You look like you're going to cry," Dave said.

You nodded, standing up and walking down to the daycare. Pushing open the doors, you saw Peter sitting behind the desk while Sun played with the kids. Peter was quick to take notice of you, immediately standing up and darting over to you.

"Hey, what happened?" he asked.

"Nasty parents. Dave is taking care of it, but he said we should trade places," you said.

Peter nodded, giving you a small hug before running out of the daycare and to the front desk. You took a seat behind the desk once he was gone, logging into the computer and putting on one of the videos Ms. Williams told you to watch.

You felt a feeling of dread forming in your stomach as the video played, something in your brain telling you that shit was about to go down very soon.