Chapter 54

After a little bit of arguing and Katie digging through most of her closet, she finally found you an outfit and dragged you out to meet her friends. Most of the alcohol you had earlier had worn off and the feelings of nervousness, paranoia, anger, and fear were starting to creep back into your body. However, everyone was very nice to you. Katie explained you weren't in the best mood and apparently that was enough of a reason for these people to dedicate their entire night to goofing off in the hopes it would make you feel better. It was enough to drive away most of the bad thoughts until you could get some more alcohol in your system.

It had been a few hours since you had gone out and it was starting to get late. You, Katie, and her friends had hit up a few different bars and clubs now and everyone but the designated driver had gotten a decent buzz going. Your mind was finally at ease and you were loving every second of it. Funnily enough, the designated driver was the same guy who had dressed up as Monty for Halloween, resulting in you giving Katie a bit of hell for it. You were sitting at the bar in the club you were currently in. Katie and some of her friends had gone off to the dance floor while the designated driver stayed near you, something Katie requested as a safety precaution. Currently, however, the driver was in the bathroom after nearly throwing up from a poorly made virgin cocktail.

"Hey, (y/n)!"

Your head snapped over at the sound of your name, the only thing you could actually recognize at this point. You saw Jacob weaving his way through the crowd, a grin on his face as he waved at you. You felt your stomach sink and your smile fell. You turned away from him, remembering everything Katie had told you about him and not wanting to talk to him. You tried to put your focus on the drink that was in front of you, but Jacob's hand on your shoulder forced your attention away.

"...ey. Hey, (y/n). What's up? What are you doing out here?" Jacob asked, though his words sounded a bit fuzzy.

"Go away," you mumbled.

"Come on, (y/n), seriously? What did I do?" he asked.

"I said go away," you said.

Jacob sighed and shook his head. He fully spun your chair around to where you were facing him and cupped your cheek.

"Please just talk to me. I want to understand what's wrong," he said.

"I don't wanna talk to you," you grumbled, pushing his hands away.

"(y/n), please. I really, really fucking care about you. I want to know what's going on. I want to help you," he whispered.

You just stared at him, your frown persisting. Then, for a moment, everything faded out and you felt like you were floating in a void. You couldn't tell what was going on around you. The sounds around you felt distant and distorted, you couldn't feel the chair you were sitting in anymore. Then, reality exploded back to life around you and you pressed a hand to your head, letting out a small groan as you realized just how shitty the alcohol was actually making you feel.

"What are you doing?"

You felt a hand on your shoulder and glanced up, seeing Richard standing over you while glaring at the now cowering Jacob.

"Just talking to my friend," he said.

"Really? (y/n), is this guy your friend?" Richard asked.

You looked back at Jacob, seeing a desperate look in his eyes, one that said "please say yes". But, there was also a small glint that you swore read "please say we're something more". It was a look that creeped you the hell out. However, before you could say anything, Katie stumbled over with a look that could kill as she stared at Jacob.

"What the- what the fuck are you doing here, asshole?" she spat.

"I just want to talk to my friend. Is that so wrong?" Jacob spat back.

"Shut up, whore. You- you just wanna fuck them. You don't love them," she slurred.

Jacob glared, balling up his fists like he was going to punch Katie. Richard cleared his throat, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms. Jacob paused for a second, appearing to be thinking over his options before he let out a huff and walked off.

"That's right, fucker! Get- get outta here!" Katie yelled. You watched Richard walk over and catch her before she tripped on air, having her sit down and saying something about rounding up everyone else.

"Fucker. What did he even want with you?" she asked, leaning over to where her head was resting on your arm.

"I-... I don't know. Something about how I feel?" you said.

"I feel like you should tell him to fuck off," she grumbled, holding out the 'e' on feel.

You nodded and rested your head on top of Katie's. A minute later, Richard came back with the rest of the group and you all piled into the car. It was decided, mostly by Richard, that all of you had enough for the night and that you all were gonna go home. Most of Katie's friends had been dropped off first and by the time Richard had driven to your house, the two of you as well as a passed out Katie were the only ones left.

"Hey... what happened?" you asked.

"What do you mean?" Richard said, glancing back at you through the rearview mirror.

"With Jacob. Did he do something to me?" you asked.

"No clue. I just saw him really close to you and you didn't look happy so I stepped in," he said.

"Alright... thanks," you said, getting out of the car.

You stumbled to your front porch, Richard staying parked in your driveway until you had safely gotten inside. Upon locking the door, you stumbled over to the couch and collapsed on top of it. You were starting to feel like shit again. Part of you was glad you didn't have work tomorrow. You knew you'd probably wake up feeling extremely sick and feel horrible for the rest of the day.

After a minute of staring at the wall, wondering just how many bad decisions you had made tonight, you fell asleep sprawled on the couch.