Chapter 37

You bolted for the bridge connecting the two jungle gyms, pulling out your phone and turning on your flashlight. You could hear Oliver crying from the other side.

"Ollie! Ollie, where are you?" you called, climbing in and scanning the area.

Your only response was another scream followed by more crying.

You climbed through the maze of paths and tubes, trying to use Oliver's cries as a guide. You could hear Peter and Vanessa calling out as well, both of them in different parts of the jungle gym. You could feel your heart pounding in your chest.

You eventually managed to find Oliver and Moon. They were both in one of the dead ends. Oliver was gripping his arm and sobbing, his back pressed against the metal bars as he trembled. Moon was curled up in the opposite corner, his hands clutching his head while mumbling "I'm sorry" and "I didn't mean to" over and over. As you shined your flashlight around, you noticed small specs of blood making a trail to Oliver.

"Shit- what happened?" you asked, crawling over to Oliver and hugging him.

Oliver just gripped onto your shirt, holding onto you for dear life. You carefully pulled the arm he had been holding away from you, checking it over. You saw three somewhat deep claw marks, blood slowly pooling out and dripping down his arm.

"Moon, what happened?" you asked again, looking over at the attendant.

"I- I don't know. I didn't mean to. It's not my fault. Please, it's not my fault. I didn't mean to," he whispered.

"Oliver!" Peter called.

"I found them! I'll meet you two outside!" you called back. You adjusted your grip on Oliver before reaching out and gently grabbing Moon's arm. "Let's get out of here."

You lead the two out of the jungle gym, Moon continuing to mumble apologies the entire way out. Once you made it to the main floor of the daycare, you rushed Oliver over to the desk and sat him down in one of the chairs, digging around for a first aid kid.

"What happened?" Peter asked, rushing over.

"I don't know. Oliver is too scared and freaked out to do anything other than cry and Moon won't stop apologizing," you explained, finding the first aid kit and pulling it out. "Oliver's arm is hurt, though, so that's taking priority right now."

You pulled out disinfectant wipes, a cotton pad, and some gauze. The scratch marks were long enough to where you knew band aids wouldn't cut it. As you opened a pack of disinfectant wipes, you watched as Peter crouched down next to Oliver and grab his hand.

"You doing okay there, bud?" he asked.

"M-mhm," Oliver whimpered.

"Alright. If anything starts hurting, squeeze my hand as hard as you can, okay?" he said.

Oliver nodded. You carefully took Oliver's scratched up hand, whipping it down with the wipe. Oliver whimpered and you could see him start to squeeze Peter's hand.

"You're doing great, bud," Peter said.

You could see Vanessa walking over as you finished cleaning the cuts. She was looking around, an oddly calm expression on her face. You wanted to ask her about it, but knew you had to focus on bandaging up your brother.

You positioned the cotton pad over the cuts and had Peter help keep it in place while you began wrapping the gauze around Oliver's arm. Tears would occasionally fall down the young boy's cheeks while whimpering or sniffling.

"Do you think you can tell us what happened, Ollie?" Peter asked.

"M-Mr. Moon scratched me," Oliver whispered.

You felt your chest tighten. Moon wouldn't hurt a child. It went against his programming. You couldn't believe that he would do something like that. But it was hard to deny it when said animatronic was curled up on the ground, shaking like a leave and apologizing over and over for whatever he did.

"Moon, is that what happened?" Peter asked.

"I-... I didn't mean to," Moon said.

"I know, but is that what happened?" Peter asked again.

You could see moon nod and you felt your heart shatter.

"Do you know why you scratched him?" Peter asked.

"I- I don't know. I couldn't s-stop myself. I didn't mean to. I didn't want to hurt him," he whispered.

"I know. We know you didn't mean it," Peter said, crouching down next to Moon and rubbing his back.

"Please... I don't want to be decommissioned," he whispered.

"We won't let you be decommissioned. I promise," Peter said.

"Yeah, we'll figure out what's wrong and fix it," you said, moving over to sit next to him as well.

"Shouldn't we tell management about what happened?" Vanessa asked.

"No. There's a good chance he'll get shut down. As much as I hate it, we need to keep this to ourselves if we don't want the daycare to be shut down. (y/n), you and I are gonna have to work extra hard to figure out what this glitch is and get rid of it before the Pizzaplex opens up again," Peter explained.

"When is it gonna open again?" you asked.

"I don't know. Probably sometime after we find out who that person was," he said.

You noticed Oliver hop off the chair and shuffle over, carefully putting a hand on Moon.

"Mr. Moonie?" he whispered. Moon looked up at him, eyes slightly wide. "I forgive you."

Moon let out a whimper and pulled Oliver close, hugging him and gently petting his hair.

"Let's get Moon down to maintenance and figure out what's going on," Peter said.

"I'm gonna leave that to you guys. I have to get going," Vanessa said.

"You heading home?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, I was here all night. I need some sleep," she said.

"Alright, we'll see you around," Peter said.

Vanessa nodded and left the daycare.

"I really hope she doesn't say anything to management," you said.

"I know. We should but... I know they'd shut the place down if we did. If we can't figure out what's wrong by the time the Pizzaplex opens again, we'll let them know and ask if we can close the daycare and keep trying to fix this," he said.

"Alright, sounds good to me," you said.

"Perfect. Let's get down to parts and services, then," Peter said.