Chapter 77

Content Warning:

This chapter contains self harm and messing with injuries. If this is something you are uncomfortable with, there will be a summary provided at the end of the chapter.

<><><><><>

You pushed Oliver through the play structure, hearing Moon chasing after the two of you. You hadn't seen a single generator inside the structure and it was starting to worry you. What if there were no generators in this structure? What if all of them were in the one Gregory went into. Unless the two of you could get to that other play structure, your life was in the hands of a kid.

"I found four of the generators! I think the other one is on the other side!" you heard Gregory yell.

"Got it! Get back to the security desk!" you yelled back.

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a black cable trailing up the side of the structure. The generator must've been at the top. Sprinting to the best of your ability, you grabbed Oliver and ran to the top of the structure. Your eyes immediately locked onto the red glow of the generator light. You practically launched yourself at the generator, pulling the lever before curling around Oliver and holding him close. The lights went back on and you felt yourself relax. The music came back on, though it took a few seconds to pick up speed and get back to its normal tempo.

"We did it... oh my god we did it," you breathed.

"Does that mean Mr. Sun is back?" Oliver asked.

"It should. Sun? Are you there?" you called.

No answer.

"Mr. Sun! The lights are on!" Oliver called.

Still nothing.

"He's probably still changing back. Let's get down to the desk and find Gregory," you said, grabbing Oliver and carrying him to the nearest opening.

"But what about Mr. Sun?" he asked.

"He'll be fine. The lights are on, the generators are working, we're gonna be okay. All of us," you said.

Oliver nodded. You climbed out of one of the slides that had an opening at the top, not wanting to try and find a way back down through the maze of tunnels. Swinging your legs over the side, you held Oliver in one arm and used your free hand to lower yourself as far as you could before letting go and falling to the daycare floor.

"(y/n)! Oliver!" Gregory called, running over to the two of you. "You guys made it!"

"Barely. Until Moon gets fixed we are not turning the lights off again, understand?" you said.

The two boys nodded.

"Why did you say you were dangerous? You saved us," Gregory said.

"Because I was in control. I don't know how long I'm gonna have before this... virus takes over, but I don't know how safe it would be for me to stay with you guys for the night," you said.

"You."

The three of you turned to see Sun standing a few meters away. His body was rigid and based on the tone of his voice, he sounded livid.

"You rule breaker! You turned the lights off!" Sun exclaimed, stomping towards the three of you.

"He didn't know!" you said, stepping between Sun and Gregory.

"But he did know he wasn't supposed to go behind the desk and what did he do? He went behind the desk and turned the lights off!" he yelled.

"Leave him alone! He's a sacred kid, rules aren't going to be his first priority!" you yelled back.