Chapter 53

By six in the evening, you and Katie had gotten pretty tipsy. The two of you tried to stick to the couch after Katie tripped over nothing and almost slammed her head onto the corner of her coffee table. The two of you had spent the night talking, giggling, occasionally crying.

"Ok, ok, ok but- like- you remember the guy? The one who was dressed as Monty on Halloween?" Katie asked, her cheeks a bright red. "He was like- hot as fuck, ya know?"

"He was not hot," you said.

"Are you- are you blind? That man was like- like hotter then the fuckin' sun," she said.

You laughed, shaking your head. The conversation had been like this for the past hour. You and Katie were talking about some of the other workers at the Pizzaplex, usually the ones Katie deemed hot.

"He ain't hot. He had a six pack, but he wasn't hot," you said, your hands lazily moving around in an attempt to make yourself look like you knew what you were saying.

"You don't think anyone's hot," Katie grumbled, grabbing whatever weird cocktail she had made and taking a sip from it. You had no clue what was in it, but you could've sworn you saw her put in some Everclear.

"No, I think there are hot people," you said.

"Like who?" she asked.

"The daycare attendant," you said.

"Huh?" Katie tilted her head.

"He- he's a fuckin' sun," you said, bursting into a fit of giggles at your pathetic attempt at a joke.

Fortunately for you, Katie seemed to find it funny as well as she snorted and started giggling.

"That would make him the hottest, huh?" she asked.

You nodded, grabbing your drink and sipping from it.

"Ya know, I always thought you were pretty cute in high school," Katie said, resting her chin on the palm of her hand and leaning forward.

"What?" you asked, looking up at her.

"Jacob and I both did. We both like you. Like... like, liked you. But you were never interested. So I just kinda... lost interest? Like, you never wanted to date anyone and I didn't wanna force it so I just kinda moved on to someone else," she rambled.

"You guys had a thing for me?" you asked, still trying to process what she said.

"Yuh. Jacob and I had like a bit of a competition at first over it. Like, I don't know how you never noticed. We were hella obvious," she said.

"Huh..." you mumbled.

"I don't like you anymore, though. Not like- not like that, ya know? You're still cute but- but like- not my type," she said.

"Does Jacob like me?" you asked.

"Fuck if I know. I don't give a shit about that bastard. He can go fuck himself," she grumbled.

You nodded, staring at your drink for a few seconds before downing the rest of it and pouring yourself another glass.

"Slow- slow down. You're a lightweight, you're gonna regret it later," she said, taking the bottle from you before you could pour too much.

You let out a huff but didn't complain.

A few more hours went by but the two of you mostly stopped drinking. Katie seemed like she was just done for the night but you stopped out of fear of a nasty hangover. Yeah, you had tomorrow off, but you still didn't want to feel like shit.

"Ya know, you never really answered my question about whether or not you like someone," Katie said, seeming to be sobering up somewhat.

"I do but... I don't really wanna say who," you said.

"Why's that?" she asked.

"Well... people are just gonna judge me. They're gonna think I'm weird or a freak," you mumbled.

"Hm... do you at least have a shot with this person?"

"Yeah, I think I've got a shot."

Katie smiled and nodded. "Tell me when you two hook up, then," she said.

You smiled and nodded in return. You knew you'd probably never be able to tell her. Unless there was some miracle that would make dating a robot okay, you'd probably never be able to tell anyone. It would have to stay your little secret.

"So, do you like anyone?" you asked.

"Didn't I already tell you? I like the guy who was going as Monty for Halloween," she said.

"I thought you just thought he was hot," you said.

"Yeah, no. He's honestly really sweet and fun to be around," she said.

"What's his name? Or do you just want me to call him 'the Monty guy'?"

Katie snorted and shook her head. "His name's Richard."

A smirk took over your face at the name. "How in hell do you get Dick from Richard?"

"(y/n)-"

"You ask him nicely."

"(y/n)!"

You burst out laughing, nearly falling off the couch.

"You're such an asshole," Katie laughed, grabbing your arm and helping you stay upright.

"The one and only," you said.

"So, wanna go out on the town for a bit or stay in?" she asked.

"Hm... out on the town. It'll keep my mind off everything," you said.

"Alright, sweet. Lemme call some people so we can have a ride and then, I'm gonna dress you up all (pretty/handsome)," Katie said, a smirk forming on her face.

"Fuck no, I can dress myself," you said, shifting away from her. "Besides, aren't all your fancy clothes dresses?"

"Oh sweet little (y/n), a girl needs to be able to rock any outfit given to her. I can do feminine, masculine, androgynous, and anything in between. Just name your style and I'll cover the rest."

You gulped slightly as Katie began texting someone, hoping and praying to god she wasn't gonna put you in an outfit you didn't want.

"Just, don't go overboard."

"No promises~."