Chapter 58

You stood up, walking over to the light switch. Oliver clung to your leg the entire time. Sadly, just like the other kids, he was also scared of nap time and would often cling to you the whole time.

"Sunshine, can we maybe just have one more minute with the lights on?" Sun asked, fear evident in his voice.

"I'm sorry, Sun, but we just need to get it over with. It's only about thirty, forty five minutes? It won't be too long," you said.

"Sunshine, please. Just- just keep the lights on," he said, taking a few steps towards you.

"I can't."

"Please."

"Sun..."

"Please just keep the lights on."

"Sun."

"Keep them on!"

Sun grabbed your arm, trying to pull you away from the light switch. You yanked your arm away, watching him stumble back.

"Sun, knock it off! I know you're scared but please! Just trust me and we can get this over with!" you yelled. You could see the look of hurt immediately form on his face and you had to bite the inside of your cheek to try and keep a straight face. "I'm sorry, but we just need to get this over with. It's like... taking off a bandaid. It's gonna hurt, but if you can rip it off, it won't hurt as much."

"... alright," he whispered.

You gave him a small nod before turning back to the light switch. You grabbed your radio, pressing the button and holding it up.

"Alright, lights off," you said.

"Got it."

You flicked the lights off only to immediately be met with the sound of hyperventilating. You turned, seeing Sun clutching the foam sun rays on his head with a look of terror in his eyes, his body slowly hunching over.

"Sun? What's wrong?" you asked, moving closer to him.

Many of the kids started getting closer as well, all crowding Sun to make sure he was okay.

"Sun? Are you okay? What's going on?" you asked, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Lights on... lights on, lights on, lights on," he began repeating over and over. Then, he let out a shrill scream, violently swinging his head back as his hands practically ripped at the foam sun rays. He sounded like he was in genuine pain.

The kids started screaming as well, all retreating back further into the daycare.

"Calm- calm down! Please! All of you, calm down!" you exclaimed, trying to herd the kids back towards the center of the daycare.

All of the sudden, Sun's cries of pain came to a sudden halt. All of the kids froze while you turned to look back over at the attendant. Standing hunched over near the door was Moon, looking almost like he had powered down.

"Moon...?" you called, slowly walking over. Nothing. "Moon? Are you okay?"

As you got closer, you started to circle the attendant, checking him over. You legitimately couldn't tell if he had powered down or not. Carefully, you placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Moon?"

You felt yourself being flung back. Your head crashed into the nearby wall and you heard the sound of children screaming explode through the daycare. Your vision was spotty. You pushed yourself up, though, running straight towards where you saw Moon's silhouette. You could make out him chasing whichever child was closest. The second you were close enough, you grabbed Moon and punched him as hard as you could, sending the animatronic tumbling over. He sprung back up. He had a gleeful smile on his face. Instead of going after you, tough, he charged past and towards another child. It suddenly hit you that unless you put yourself in danger, you didn't have to worry about a thing. You could stand by if you wanted and nothing would happen to you. But you couldn't. You wouldn't.