Chapter 25

The next day, you woke up early and left the daycare. You didn't see the attendant anywhere and so you wrote a quick note before leaving the room. The door that was in the corner was apparently the staff entrance. You ran down towards the locker rooms, hoping that you'd be able to catch someone from the group there so you didn't have to walk in your costume by yourself.

Once down in the locker rooms, you ran over to your assigned locker, that you barely used, and put your normal uniform away. Since you were basically changed, you walked over to one of the mirrors and re-styled your hair so it wasn't sticking out everywhere. Leaving the locker rooms, you noticed Jacob was walking over.

"You're up early," he commented.

"Kinda used to getting up around this time. We have to disinfect the daycare equipment and floor every morning and set up some of the activities," you said.

"Jesus. I get keeping them safe, but every day?" he asked.

"And during lunch and at the end of the day," you said.

"Now I'm glad I work at the El Chips area. Daycare sounds terrible," he said.

"It's not that bad, the kids are sweet and the attendant is very fun to be around," you said.

"I guess... hey, aren't you supposed to be maintenance? I mean, I saw your name listed under the maintenance team once. Why are you at the daycare?" he asked.

"I mainly do maintenance on the attendant. I get called in to help at Monty Golf every so often, but I normally stay off to the side for that stuff," you explained.

"So, you're like uh... what's their names..." Jacob trailed off.

"Amanda and Peter?" you asked.

"Yeah! Those two!" he said.

"I think? Amanda isn't really on the maintenance team, at least she only does it when Peter isn't around," you said.

The two of you continued to talk, Jacob dipping out for a minute to put on his costume before the two of you made your way to the Fazcade. It was nice to catch up with him. It had been a while since you had talked to anyone from high school. It felt like you were coming back from summer break and seeing all your friends again, in a weird way.

Once at the Fazcade, you went straight to the stage. You climbed up and looked around. In a matter of hours, the room would be full and everyone would be watching you perform. The idea made you nervous, but you reminded yourself that you'd done stuff like this before. You'd done dance routines with Jacob and Katie in high school, you knew what you were doing. Yeah, it had been a few years, but you at least had some sort of prior knowledge. You weren't going in blind.

"Man, that tunnel is freaky," Jacob said.

You looked over to the wall, seeing the giant hole that led into a void of darkness. You shuddered slightly, nodding.

"Is that where the DJ normally is?" you asked.

"Yeah. Between performances, he can crawl around and go into those tunnels," he explained.

"Crawl?" you asked.

"Have you never seen the DJ?" he retorted, looking over at you with a raised brow.

"No. I never found this place all that interesting so I never went here," you said.

"Ok, well, the DJ is kinda like this big spider dude," he said.

You nodded, looking back over at the hole in the wall. You didn't want to think about just how big the DJ had to be to require a hole that big.

"I'm gonna run to go get some drinks or something for between shows. Do you wanna come with me?" Jacob asked.

"Nah, I'll stay here," you said.

Jacob nodded and left the Fazcade, leaving you in complete silence. You decided to take a look around, especially since you hadn't seen much of this place before. The Fazcade was huge with almost every open space being taken up by arcade cabinets. Walking up to the second floor, you looked around to see even more arcade cabinets. Walking further into the arcade, you stumbled across a large hallway. Curiosity getting the better of you, you decided to walk to the end and see what there was.

Walking into a large hall, you looked around to see even more arcade cabinets. You let out a small sigh, shaking your head. Of course, there were more, why wouldn't there be? You wandered back further into the hall, looking around at all of the arcade cabinets. They were all unplugged, and some of them even looked like they were being worked on. Eventually, you got to the back. There was an arcade cabinet that caught your eye. You walked over, looking at the name of the name; Princess Quest II. You looked at the side of the cabinet, seeing a simple picture of a yellow princess holding a lantern. It was the only cabinet that looked to be plugged in.

Your fingers traced over the cabinet, a feeling of unease forming in the pit of your stomach. You wanted to get away from this game. However, there was some sort of voice in your head telling you to unplug the cabinet, to mess with the wiring and tear out the plugin cord. You battled with your thoughts, your nails slowly digging into the panel as you tried to tell yourself that you'd get in trouble. The managers would take it out of your paycheck, you could lose your job. But you wanted to just tear the machine apart, get rid of the thing that was making you feel so uneasy. No one would notice, no one would care. It was in the maintenance hall for a reason, it was probably going to be scrapped or needed repairs anyway. No one would notice if you destroyed it.

"(y/n)! Are you there?"