Chapter 64

The days slowly became routine again. Well, as routine as it could get. While you were able to get used to working with Monty and all the other maintenance workers, you weren't doing as well mentally as you were with Sun and Moon. You were barely able to keep it together with Monty's help. Some days you'd constantly hear voices pushing you to do things you didn't want to, other days they were dead silent. Some days, the voices were so loud that you'd tell Peter you needed him to take Oliver for the night, mostly so you could have a few drinks and make sure he wouldn't get hurt. You were very careful not to let people know what was going on with you. You were so scared of getting sent to a mental hospital that you couldn't bring yourself to admit what was going on. The only one you were able to talk to about all of this was Monty. The two of you would share your problems and fears with each other.

It was after hours and you were hanging out on the catwalks with Monty. It was becoming your secret hiding place where the two of you could talk about your worries.

"I don't think I can let Oliver stay the night again. It feels like the voice in my head is screaming at me," you whispered, resting your head against the metal railing.

"Do you want to stay at the Pizzaplex?" Monty offered.

"No. I'll get in trouble and I could lose my job," you said. Your frown turned into a glare as you stared down at the floor of Gator Golf. "They'll think I've been tampering with you guys."

Monty nodded, resting his head on the railing as well.

"Have you heard anything about Sun and Moon?" you asked.

"Yeah, actually. For once. I guess Freddy went over to the daycare last night to check up on them and Sun was actually powered on. Said he was muttering to himself and barely even noticed him," he explained.

You hummed, nodding. You wanted to go over and see the attendant so bad.You missed Sun and Moon. You wanted to see them again and try to make sure they were okay.

"(y/n)! Montgomery!"

You and Monty both jumped slightly, looking down at the main Gator Golf floor. Standing below you was Ms. Williams.

"Why don't the two of you come down!" she called.

"Alright! Just a moment!" you called back.

You and Monty both stood up, giving each other concerned looks. There was a small, nagging thought in the back of your head that kept saying that you were in trouble. The two of you descended the stairs, meeting Ms. Williams at the door to the stairwell.

"It's time for you to be heading home. I'm going to lock up for the night," she said.

"Do... do you think I could see the attendant before I leave?" you asked.

She gave you a small smile, nodding. "I don't see why not."

You followed her out of Gator Golf, Monty going back to Rockstar Row. As you left, you took one last glance at the now walled up section of Gator Golf that used to connect to the daycare. They had been building the wall since Bill's death but it hadn't been finished up until recently. It only took the loss of a robot and the death of a person to realize that section wasn't secure enough.

The walk to the daycare was quiet. Ms. Williams didn't seem annoyed with you or suspicious of your behavior. She actually seemed a little happy to be walking over towards the daycare. Upon arriving, you saw that the daycare was empty. You couldn't see the attendant anywhere. You also noticed a lot of cables running across the floor that weren't there before, all of them connecting to a bunch of lights around the daycare that looked like they were haphazardly thrown onto the walls and equipment.

"What... happened?" you asked.

"Sun is the only one that seems safe to be let out. So, we had more lights installed in the daycare to ensure he doesn't transform," Ms. Williams explained. You nodded, looking up towards the attendant's room. "Sun! Can you come out!"

You watched as Sun poked his head out from the curtain over the balcony, the permanent smile on his prototype face visible from where you stood. He jumped down from the balcony, landing in the ball pit and clambering out before running over. His movements looked genuinely excited, until he came screeching to a halt, his body going rigid. Now that he was closer, you could see his eyes were still stuck in that rolled back position.

"Sun," you said, your voice barely above a whisper.

"You..." Sun said, taking a few steps back. "You... turned me off."

"Sun, please, y-you were getting too freaked out. I- I was worried that you were going to lash out o-or one of the workers would attack you and-"

"You turned me off! I thought I was going to be deactivated. I thought I'd get scrapped! You didn't even try to help me! You thought I was going to become violent just like Moon and then you abandoned me!" he yelled.

"Sun, they did not have a choice about leaving you. (y/n) is one of the suspects in a case relating to Moon's sudden burst of violence. They are not allowed to be near you until whoever tampered with your programming is caught. The only reason they are allowed to be here right now is because I am with them and they are not going in the daycare," Ms. Williams said.

"(y/n)... tampered with us?" he slowly asked.

"No. No, no, no, no, no. I am under the firm belief that they did nothing wrong. They are a suspect, yes, but it is only on the basis that they work with you throughout the day. Outside of that, there is no concrete evidence that they did anything," Ms. Williams said.

"I... need to go..." Sun whispered before turning and running back towards the balcony.

"Sun! Wait!" you called, pressing your hands against the net wall of the daycare.

"Let's just go. He needs his space right now," Ms. Williams said.

"God, I- I feel horrible. What have I done?" you asked, burying your face in your hands.

"Fascinating, isn't it?"

You looked up at Ms. Williams, seeing her staring in the direction Sun ran off in.

"For being made of metal and code, they can spark such strong emotions in us. They think and feel just like we do. No other company has managed to make robots like this," she said.

"What?" you asked.

"This level of technology is something you see in science fiction to this day. No one knows how William and Henry were able to make animatronics with such human emotions," she said.

"Why are you saying this?" you asked.

"I'm not def, (y/n). I've heard your conversations with Monty. You're not going to be in trouble, I feel like this is honestly my fault for letting you continue to work while under stress. So, I have an assignment for you. I am going to teach you one of the ways Henry was able to program the animatronics to be so human-like, and you are going to take a few weeks of paid time off to recover from everything that's been happening and design a new animatronic. It can be themed around anything. It doesn't have to be perfect either. All I want is for you to start learning how these animatronics work so not only can you fix them, but redesign and even create your own," she said.

"Why?" you asked.

"Something is happening to this Pizzeria. I don't know what, but I know that if something is to go wrong, I want someone to be able to help me rebuild this place, and I want that person to be you."