Chapter 61

"Well, this is probably as close as we can get to a full repair," Ms. Williams said.

Staring down at the attendant, you resisted the urge to shudder. There had supposedly been one more newer faceplate model, but no one could find it. So, Ms. Williams decided it would be best to just use the attendant's original face plate while she ordered new ones and looked for the remaining one.

"Fuckin' creepy. Is this what he really used to look like?" one of the maintenance crew asked.

"Yes, we were getting a lot of complaints from the parents about it, so we changed it as fast as we could," Ms. Willaims explained.

"Are his eyes supposed to be white...?"

"They got stuck. I'll... I'll fix it later," Ms. Williams said.

As the staff talked amongst each other, you saw Ms. Williams doing something on the computer. You walked over, glancing over at what she was looking at.

"What's going on?" you asked.

"It's Moon's coding. A lot of it has been totally replaced. We might have to order a whole new chip for him," she said.

"Is that good or bad?" you slowly asked.

"Depends. If we want to get the daycare back in business then it's good, but if we're talking about getting the old Moon back then it's bad. A new chip is basically like a software reset. He won't have any of his old memories or anything," she explained.

"But... there are other options, right?" you asked.

"Yes, but they won't guarantee that whatever caused this new code to appear will be gotten rid of. If I had to guess, there's some sort of virus that's causing the code to change. We could try to get Moon's old code back manually, but we risk the virus coming back."

"What's up?" another maintenance worker asked.

"Moon might have a virus. I think we're going to need to get him a new chip," Ms. Williams said.

"Yeesh. What about Sun? Is he good?" they asked.

"So far, yes. We might have to do a bit of tweaking, but he will be fine."

"Are you sure there's no way to solve this without completely resetting Moon?" you asked.

The maintenance worker walked over to you, placing a hand on your shoulder. "No, not really. Think of this like a tumor. We can try to remove it and not take anything else out, but we risk it coming back. The only difference between people having a tumor and robots having a virus is with a robot, you can actually take everything out and replace it and have them survive. Mostly. You can at least guarantee it won't come back."

You nodded, resisting the urge to cry.

"(y/n), since you're going to be switched to a new animatronic, is there one in particular you want or don't want?" Ms. Williams asked.

"Can I maybe work with Monty?" you asked.

"Oh lord, please actually let them work with Monty. He's been such a pain to deal with and I think I'm one of like three people who can deal with him. Everyone else literally doesn't care," the maintenance worker said.

"Alright, you can work with Monty," she said.

"Fuck yeah! Thank you so much!" the maintenance worker exclaimed. They pulled you into a side hug, ruffling your hair. "And thank you so much for actually willingly volunteering. You don't know how many people who work with Monty are forced to be working with him. They literally ditch us all the time."

You laughed a little, nodding. "They're dumb. Monty is like my second favorite animatronic here," you said.

"Guessing your favorite is the attendant?" they asked. You nodded. "Sweet. I always liked the DJ but good lord are the arcade workers insufferable. You do one thing they don't like and suddenly 'you're messing up our entire schedule', like shut up and let me work already. Monty is a lot more chill to work with. Same with Freddy but like, come on, it's Freddy."

The maintenance worker led you out of the maintenance hall while Ms. Williams talked to the remaining guards about getting Sun back to the daycare. They explained everything you needed to know about Monty, things like what some of the common procedures were, how you would be helping out, where to check if Monty wandered off. They sounded ecstatic that someone actually wanted to work with Monty. It made you wonder just how many people actually liked him.

As you wandered out of the maintenance hall and towards where you left Oliver, you noticed a familiar face.

"Vanessa!" you called, waving her over.

She turned, smiling slightly and walking over.

"Hey, what's up?" she asked.

"Daycare got shut down. The attendant went crazy and attacked the kids," the maintenance worker said.

"I heard. Dave called me in early to talk to me about it," she said.

"What, does he think you tampered with the animatronics or something?" the maintenance worker joked.

"No, he said there were going to be some new rules I'd need to be following regarding the daycare. Something about patrolling the area around it but not actually going in," she said, shrugging.

"Dang, that bad, huh?" they mumbled.

"Moon dropped a girl from the ceiling. She almost died," you mumbled.

"Good lord... hopefully this gets resolved soon."

"Are you free right now, (y/n)?" Vanessa asked.

"Yeah, I was just going to grab Ollie and head home," you said.

"Do you mind if I talk to you for a minute?" she asked.

You nodded and Vanessa started walking off to a quieter part of the building. You followed, waving to the maintenance worker as you left.

"What's up?" you asked.

"You remember Eclipse?" she asked. You nodded. "Well, I've been finding him in the vents during a lot of my shifts. I'm not even looking for him half the time yet I still find him. If I can find him without even trying, who knows who else will find him as well."

"What should we do?" you asked.

"Well, I think I can get him to come out of the vents, but I don't really have any place he can stay. I was wondering if you could take him," she said.

"I don't know... I could take him to my place, but I'm worried he might become a danger to Ollie."

"True. We could just deactivate him if you can't keep him."

"N-no. I'll figure something out," you mumbled.

"Alright, just let me know your decision soon. I can let you into the building after hours, just message me," she said.