12 {𝓥𝓪𝓶𝓹𝓲𝓻𝓮 𝓐𝓲𝔃𝓪𝔀𝓪}

Every year on December 31st all the villagers 18 and above that weren't pregnant go into the square and are given a number starting at one and ending at whatever number of villagers there are. They are handed out randomly as all the numbers are but inside a box that is shaken with fury. If your number isn't drawn you get to go home with your family and celebrate. If your number is drawn you go home and spend a forlorn night with your family as guards stand beside every exit making sure you cant run. On January 1st they are taken out of the village, never to be seen again.

Last year it was a healthy man of 65 who accepted his fate, the year before that was a woman of 26 who tried to flee with her husband and 6-year-old in the dead of night but was caught, everyone who was sent off had their panting and name in the town hall building so even as a kid you knew who had gone.

♡♡♡

You stood beside your family, freshly 18 this is the first lottery you've been involved in, and it's clear to see. The other adults stood unaffected but the newer ones looked afraid, everyone is afraid but people have just gotten good at hiding it. You were handed a piece of paper by a guard and opened it, 12 was written in black ink.

Once they double-checked everyone had a paper the box was shaken. The crowd got quite, not even breathing could be heard as a paper was pulled out and slowly opened in front of the crowd,

𝟙𝟚

Your heart dropped as everyone waited for number 12 to walk on stage...or run, there were a few runners from time to time but none made it far. Your father pushed your back and slowly you walked up on the stage and handed in your paper. You looked out, a few families hugged their kids, partners, parents, whoever in relief. Your mother was holding your sister, both were crying, and your father refused to look at you.

The mayor patted your back "Tomorrow you will be sacrificed for the good of the town! Look out at all you have saved and feel proud!" You felt anything but proud. Everyone went back home to their house and/or younger children as you were led to the town hall.

Once comfortable in your seat the mayor cleared his throat "As you know it's a tradition in our town to sacrifice a villager at the beginning of the year, and now you will learn why it's your turn." You nodded as he leaned back "When our town was first settled by our greatest grandfathers a monster would come in the night and kill them and their cattle but eventually a woman caught the creature and they made a deal. We give him one person a year every year along with occasional cattle drops here and there and he leaves us be. He accepted and left and ever since then both us and the monster have kept our sides of the deal."

When he was done a feist was brought alongside you home. The dinner was quiet, they bearly even looked at you, and that night sleep didn't come to you. As soon as the first rooster crowed your mother walked in with the nicest dress you owned, clean and ready. You didn't fight.

Stepping out four guards heavily armed were waiting for you "Ms. L/n, its tradition for a sacrifice to be given a fine request. Is there anything?" You shook your head as they began hearing you along.

They were the executioner, and I was the one being led to the gallows.

♡♡♡

After a long walk threw the woods you came upon an old castle. They stopped at the front gate "You don't need to knock, just enter." All four bowed to you "Thank you for your service." You nodded and walked up to the huge doors of the dark castle. 

You opened and slipped into the castle before closing the door behind you. Looking up from the floor an old woman in a maid uniform was standing before you. She gasped dropping the tray she was holding "Master isn't going to like this." The second woman, just a bit younger, nodded in agreement as she rushed off.

Soon you heard stumping, a tall man with messy black hair rounded the corner and stopped when he saw you shaking like a leaf in front of the door "So it's true then...Nozomi." The older woman looked up at the man you assumed was the master she spoke of "Yes sir?" 

"Please go get our guest some warmer, comfier, clothes. And Sakura go see if we have any tea, if we do please make her some." "Yes sir." Both women replied before hurrying off. Once alone the man walked up to you before crouching "Are you alright, I know it's a long walk?" Slowly you nodded, still looking as if you were about to piss yourself.

The bigger man picked you up bridal style and began to walk "Im sorry the townsfolk scared you with their story. Fear not, you won't suffer the same fate as those who have come before you."

♡♡♡

Now in warm clothes and wrapped in a coat you sat on the other side of the table nursing a cup of steaming tea, he had a cup as well but he hadn't touched it, instead choosing to watch you "...They said-" "Im not very interested in what they say...but you probably want to know why I haven't torn you to shreds yet right? Why do people work here with a monster?" You looked down but nodded, the man let out a small laugh

"Well you see, the story they tell our only half true. They settled down on my land and when I asked them to find another place they began attacking me. I warned them to stop, to please just leave but they wouldn't listen-" "So you were only defining yourself." He looked a bit shocked that you spoke "At first yes...but then I got the taste for human blood."

You shrunk in on yourself a bit but let him continue "But one night a young woman, your greatest grandmother, You look so much like her you know. She caught me eating her new husband and captured me...we ended up falling in love and so I made a deal with the village because she didn't like me attacking her friends so much, even after she died I keep this deal in her honor. As for the servants well their families have been working for me since before I became a monster, I have my own little village here." 

When he was done he looked up at you, you looked unsure but much less scared than before "Why not eat me then?" He smiled "I couldn't possibly lay a harmful finger on you. Not after watching you for so long." 

You shivered at the admission that he had been watching you. "Well you seem to know me but, who are you." "Duke Aizawa of Erasland. But you may call me Shota." He stood and made his way over to you, offering his hand. You took it, allowing him to pull you out of the chair and lead you down the halls of the manner. Finally, he stopped at a door and opened it "This is your room, I sent a servant out to collect your things but as for tonight you'll have to put up with the emptiness." You walked in as he pointed to a door in the room "Your private bathing quarters and rest room are in there for when you need them and the dresser has clothing for you." 

♡♡♡

Curled into yourself under the thick blanket that was pulled up to your nose you shivered. The candle beside your bed only lit up the area around your head, the rest of the room was bathed in thick darkness that didn't even allow you to see outlines. The old manner creaked and moaned like it knew you were afraid and trying to make it worse. 

You heard the door opening and shot up, only to see Shota walking in holding a candle "Sorry to scare you, why aren't you asleep." You felt embarrassed as he waited for an answer "Its uh, My room is kinda, dark." He smiled placing his own candle on the dresser allowing you to see a bit of the other side of the room before walking back to your bed "Any better?" 

"A little." He nodded "I'll get you some wall torches tomorrow, until then would you like me to sit with you until your asleep?" "Thank you Shota." He hummed as you laided back down letting the man pull the covers over you "Fear not my love, nothing will do you arm as long as I'm around."

♡♡♡

(1543 Words)

Mhm, vampire with a castle 🤤