02 | Duty Of A Princess

The five-hour flight with thirty minutes to spare from Washington, Dc to my birth home, San Francisco California was silent

The five-hour flight with thirty minutes to spare from Washington, Dc to my birth home, San Francisco California was silent. Troy managed to pull strings and have us on the first flight out. The silent trip only made me more nervous.

And the tension coming off him was not helping.

When I tried to talk to him, it was like his mind was elsewhere.

"You have to be mistaken, Troy." The disbelief in my evidence. I just couldn't believe it. "Dad said he'd let me finish school. This is my last year."

He sighs, rubbing harshly at his head as if he was forming some kind of headache. The frustrated look on his face said everything.

"I'm just doing what he told me to do and that was to bring you back home so you two could talk in person. I'm sure he will tell you his reasons once we land."

I frowned. "But you said to trust you."

He turns to look at me, the seriousness in his. "And I mean that." He breathes, the emotion in his voice dripping subtly with his words. "Whatever happens, know that I'll always be around."

His words left more questions than answers. I was confused by all of it and by the tone of his voice and his words, it almost sounded like he was...leaving.

"You are my diamond, baby

"You are my diamond, baby. You are expected to shine when you are given the light."

"It's your duty as my daughter, Tiana."

"These are the listed men that have an interest in you."

"They're suitable and they have enough to support you, your children, and your children's children."

"It's your choice but you know a wedding is to be planned as soon as you and your chosen suitor come together."

Antonio Clark. Merlin Vendetti. Carter Mason. River Fenrir. Virgil Benson.

The list went on and on with the many names of men that found an interest in me.

A few days into the first week of Howard of the new semester which is in fall and I still haven't made a decision. I was still thinking about my father's words. His request.