/35./

TIANA

"Did you miss me, babe?"

I swallowed hard. He was here. Carter was actually here. I thought I was imagining it but no. This bastard was here in my sight.

I backed up slowly, gaining some space but he shocked me by taking large steps and wrapping an arm around my waist and the other hand grabbed onto my chin. I closed my eyes. I was a bit fearful of what he was going to do now.

"You are in so much trouble, baby." His grip grew tighter on my chin.

"Open your eyes." His tone firm and laced with a tad of anger. I did what he said and met his eyes. He looked pissed.

"Why are you down here? In Phoenix?"

I sighed, looking down. Why does my luck has to be so low. I was praying I'd never see him again but here I was wrong.

"My eyes are up here." He said, making me look at him.

"Trying to start over but that didn't last long, did it?" I snapped while pushing away from him. I was about two feet away from him with my arms crossed over my chest.

"Why are you here?" I asked him.

His expression change from pissed to more of a calm look. He stared at me hard then he spoke up.

"To handle business. Never thought I would find you here."

"Well that makes two of us." I say.

He said nothing. He just stared at me with those intense eyes. He bit his lip before sighing through his nose. It looked like he was about to say something when a familiar voice was heard.

"There you are, Tiana. The race is about to start."

Not the right time, Xavier.

I sighed when I felt Xavier's arm wrap over my shoulder and pulled me closer to him.

"Carter, right?" Xavier sent a polite smile his way, holding out his hand to shake.

I look at Carter and his face was red. I could tell he was holding back much. Carter cleared his throat before shaking Xavier's hand.

"Right. You must be the famous Xavier." Carter spoke through his teeth.

"Yeah." Carter let Xavier's hand go.

"This is Tiana but I assume you two have gotten aquatinted already." He said while pushing me a bit forward.

Carter then looked my way with that unfamiliar look. "I've known Tiana for some time. Been a minute since I've seen her and she still is forever gorgeous." He said causing me to look down.

"Wait, so you two were...?" Xavier's question trailed off.

"No." I answered quickly just as Carter said "Yes."

I look to Carter and found him smirking at me. I glared at him and moved away from Xavier.

"I think we should go back. The race is starting soon." I say and without waiting for a reply, I walked away from them.

I wanted to go back to my brother's house and go to bed. This day couldn't get even worse. I was in a tough spot at the moment.

I was close to my spot next to KeKe when I felt a hand on my waist.

My head whipped my head back and I saw Carter and he looked pissed.

His jaw clenched hard while he pushed me over to the side, past a crowd of people. Once in the clearing, he turned me around and grabbed my chin left and his hand moved to the other side of my waist. Then, he slapped my bottom hard causing me to cry out in pain. I brought my hands to his chest and tried to push away but he did not budge nor did he let me go.