/60/

CARTER

"Carter! Riena!" My mother's voice filled my ears.

I forced myself to look excited. A small whimper escaped Riena's lips. I gave a firm squeeze to her side and her whimpers grew slightly.

"Be quiet." My voice coming out in a warning.

"You two look great." Mother said, soon came in my father.

"I would have to given that it is my wedding anniversary." I replied and she pulled me into her embrace. I return a tight squeeze and pulled away.

I looked to my father and he stared at Riena for a moment longer before looking to me. I take note that he has a small glint of anger in his eyes.

"Glad to see me, Dad?" The sarcasm in my tone doesn't go unnoticed.

He frowns. "Despite what you think, I actually miss my children. Where is your sister?"

As if he actually cared. "I told her she didn't have to go. She's at home."

"What a shame. I wanted to introduce her to someone that can help expand our business."

And there it was.

"Plan to marry her off to a stranger?" I queried knowingly.

"She's a Maso. She knows what needs to be done."

My blood boil and I went to say something sly when my mother interrupted. "Come, son. Let's dance!" She urges and wraps her arms around mine and pulls me to the floor with the others.

I sighed in irritation and lead the dance with my mother.

"How is Camille?" She asked and I knew she was genuinely concerned.

My mother had a good heart. Filled with kindness and her mind, intelligence. She's been married to my father for thirty years. A loveless marriage but she loved her children. All the abusive acts that my father would try on us, mother was there to take every strike. As we grew up I was in line to take over the business and Camille was to be married off in yet a loveless marriage and when she refused, my father didn't waste a second in slapping her around to knock some sense into her.

"She's doing well. Still has a big mouth." I said, looking at nothing particular as we swayed.

She chuckles and went silent for a moment. Then she spoke. "Rumor has it, you have met a girl."

I frowned. "Where have you heard this?"

"I overheard your father speaking to someone over the phone. He must have someone spying on you." She said and I look at her with a blank expression.

I'm not to shocked that my father had someone keep tabs on me but I made sure to keep certain shît classified.

"So, is it true?" She questioned.

I sighed. "Maybe."

I expect a angered outburst or a hit to the face but I receive the opposite. She is smiling. "Has my son fell in love?"

Love?

"I wouldn't say that." I smirked.

She nods. "Tell me about her."

I was silent for a moment and looked around me. I noticed my father was dancing with Riena. She was leaned in a little to close to him and he didn't seem to mind. It looked like he was whispering a few words in her ear. She was blushing and I frowned at the sight.