03 | Macho Act

Was this man serious?

Go home with him?

He's insane if he thinks I was going to just drop everything and go with him. I didn't even know him.

"No," I stare at him like the crazy person he is. Ignoring the frown on his lips, I continue. "I have a life here. School and-"

"If you're worried about your schooling, it's not an issue. We can work around it."

We? There was no we.

What was with this guy? He acts as if he's already made a claim on me.

We both knew how this all works. I chose a name and my father gets in contact with the family and we all sit and talk about our future and the benefits of a union. And yet, this guy was taking his interest to the next level.

"You are insane." I breathe pushing off the counter.

He shrugs, the nonchalant look once again making its way to light. "Call me whatever. Do I have to pack your bags for you?"

"Absolutely not." I snapped, crossing my arms. "As I said before, I still have time to choose and you just appear out of nowhere, expecting me to just leave with you, is just crazy. You're not the only one on the list."

"So, you want me to prove myself to you?" He mused.

"No," I shook my head, walking towards my door, pulling it open. "I want you to leave."

He sits there, eyes pinned on me. In our stare contest, I could see the sparkling delight dancing in his irises. Finally breaking the awkward moment, he stands walking toward me.

He stops in front of me, his body towering over me through the open door. "We all have a role, Tiana." He says, those green orbs flickering across my face, lingering.

Those were his last words as a low hum leaves him and he walks out of my apartment with bold strides. I closed the door quickly, locking it.

Carter's indication of what is expected of me not only made me angry but I wanted to act ignorant of it all

I was in college. This was my last year and I was going to enjoy it.