Chapter 25

**Elora's POV**

“Do I need to come there and force your mouths open?” I asked and Lucien flinched, but Damon stood unmoved.

Obviously, he was the stubborn one. I heard everything they said, but I wanted them to say it with their mouths. I know I should be in bed, but I couldn't sleep as the thoughts of what happened with Damon was constantly on replay in my head. I'm only able to face him now because Lucien is here, and I wouldn't want to let my guard down.

“Luna, there is nothing serious going on. It's just a friendly argument.” Lucien answered.

“Didn't look like it,” I folded my hands and glanced at them, urging them to speak.

“I'll be on my way now.” Damon bowed and started walking away.

I frowned. Why the sudden cold attitude? I didn't understand why I felt bad about the way he left.

“Elora…”

Lucien called and I threw him a glare.

“Your highness,” He corrected himself.

“I don't think we have anything to talk about, Lucien.” I raised my hand and made to leave.

“Just give me a chance to talk, please. I promise I won't waste your time.” He pleaded and I sighed.

“5 minutes and that's it.” I said and began walking.

He ran to meet with me. The guards wanted to follow us, but I stopped them.

“I can't stop thinking about you. I fell for you the minute I set my eyes on you, but your rejection is hurting me. I wish you could open my heart and see just how much love is there for you,” He declared, and I scoffed inwardly.

The fool certainly considers himself to be a good actor. If only he knew that his cover had been blown a long time ago, I'm sure he wouldn't be here wasting his time.

“Please, give me the chance to show you just how much I care about you. I would never do anything that would hurt you. I promise to cherish you for eternity. Please, all I need is a chance.” He held my hand, but I slipped my hand away from his.

“Lucien, I am not interested in having anything to do with you. Don't you know I have a mate already?” I asked.

“But I've noted that you aren't interested in him.”

“I am not interested in you either.” I blurted out.

He went quiet for a while and looked away. The next time he turned to look at me, I could see how his eyes had turned glassy, like he was about to cry. He stopped abruptly and went on his knees. I gasped and held him, so he could stand, not because I pitied him, but because I didn't want the guards or maids to see him like this.

“Elora, please just give me a chance. I love you.”

“Stand up, Lucien. You're embarrassing me.” I whispered, but he continued to beg. The maids walked by and shook their heads.

I facepalmed.

“Please.”

“Alright, just stand up. I'll think about it.” I muttered.

“You really will?” He asked and I nodded. “Thanks,” He stood up, smiling like a fool. “And maybe you can join Me and Zora for a night out today. I'd appreciate it if you come.” He requested.

I wasn't surprised at all. Of course, he would be in on the plan as well. Whatever they have up their sleeves, I am damn ready for them.

“Sure. I'll be there.” I smiled.

“Wonderful! Thanks for making my day. I'll be on my way now.” He bowed and dashed out of the place.

“Your highness,”

I turned to where the voice came from and smiled at the guard.

“The elders are waiting for you in the throne room.” He bowed and I smiled.

“Alright. I'll be there.” I smiled.

He bowed and left.

****

Immediately I entered, Elder Blake and Elder Brent bowed. I sat on the throne, and they sat down as well.

“Any problems?” I asked and they nodded. “I'm listening…”

“You haven't gotten back to us about this beta issue. Since the first man turned out to be something we didn't expect, we're here to ask for your opinion on the next step to take. You need a beta to make your work easier for you.” Elder Blake narrated.

“I understand, but as a result of what happened, I can't trust some random person. The beta would have to be someone chosen by me.” I massaged my temple as I thought of the perfect person for the job.

Numerous people came into my mind, but I wasn't really comfortable with them. I sighed and Damon's thought came again. Out of everyone I thought of, he was the only one I was actually comfortable being my beta.

“Just choose him. If you do that, he'd get to be by your side all the time.” Ava drawled. I could feel her excitement.

“That's what I don't want.” I internally facepalmed, and she sneered.

“Will you stop your pretense? You and I know you want him as much as I do.” She snapped.

“I'll cut off the link now, Ava.” I rolled my eyes.

“Wait, don't you want to have more steamy moments with him? I know you enjoyed what happened last night.”

“Ava!” I yelled and unknowingly covered my face.

“Are you alright?” Elder Blake's voice jolted me back to reality and I sighed.

“Yes, I'm fine.” I quickly answered and cut off the mind link.

“So, what is your decision, Luna?” Elder Brent asked.

“I choose Damon as my beta.” I said, and they gasped.

“Are you certain?” Elder Blake asked and I nodded.

“But he is your mate.” Elder Brent chimed in.

“Is there a law anywhere that forbids mates from becoming their mate's beta?” I asked with a frown and he shook his head. “And it's settled. Damon is my beta. Apparently, he is the only one I can trust with my pack.”

Even though I hated his guts!