Chapter 75

**Damon's POV**

“I see this is how you want to live your life, Damon.” Father said the moment I stepped into the house and saw him seated on the couch.

“What are you talking about?” I asked him and he stood up, walking to where I stood with his hands tucked into his pockets.

He stopped in front of me and looked into my eyes. “This isn't the son I raised.”

“Father, you're confusing me.” I sighed and ruffled my hair.

“How could you leave your own house and go stay with a woman?” He asked.

“She's my mate.”

“Shut the fuck up about this mate shit! Do you think I'm happy seeing my only son abandon his home and starts leaving in the palace with a lady?” He asked.

“Elora is not just any body. She's my mate and I love her. I can do anything for her. It's not wrong if I start staying in the palace. I'm her beta after all and betas often have special rooms assigned to them in the palace. What's wrong if I decide to stay there?” I asked him and he shook his head.

“You're supposed the be working in the company but you're working for her.” He snapped.

“I'm doing both, father. I kept someone trustworthy in charge of our company and I mostly handle the complex tasks. Because I'm staying in Elora's company doesn't mean I'm not working for us as well. Stop acting this way father.” I said to him and he scoffed.

“You better stop what you're doing now before it's too late, Damon. That girl has enemies lurking around every corner and you do not want to get involved with her.”

“That's more reason why I'm with her, father — to protect her.”

“Are you out of your senses? They're going to come after you. Leave her now that you have the chance before you lose your life.” He scolded me but I was determined. Elora was like my life and there was no way I would let her get into trouble.

“I can't do that, father. I can't watch my mate in trouble and do nothing. She made me her beta because she trusted me and I am not ready to break that trust yet.” I said and was about walking inside my room.

“Are you really sure she trusts you or she's just using you?”

I stopped in my tracks.

“I never expected you to be this daft, Damon. I thought you were sensible and thought you were smart enough to understand how things work in the world world,” He chuckled. “It seems love has made you blind, and not just blind, love has turned you into a fool. The sooner you open your eyes and realize that you're being used, the better for you.” He scoffed and I could hear his footsteps on the floor as he exited the living room.

I sighed and ruffled my hair then climbed the stairs to my room. When I got there, I sat on the bed as my father's words kept echoing in my head. I refused to believe it. I know the kind of person Elora is and how she went through to get to where she is now. If she wanted to use me, she wouldn't have asked me to teach her how to fight; she wouldn't have want to learn to defend her people as well.

With a sigh, I ruffled my hair and started taking off my clothes. I made my way to the bathroom and stood under the shower, allowing the cold water to cascade down my back.

When I was done taking a shower, I took new set of clothes and dressed up, heading back to the palace. On the way, I saw something pass by at an incredible speed. I stopped in my movements and looked around, using my ears to see if I could pick up any sounds.