Chapter 106

Damon's POV.

I walked to the kitchen barely able to restrain my anger, but only by sheer force of will, I could feel a headache coming and my temper frayed with it as I opened the door to the kitchen.

The maids watched me, some already showing their nervousness.

"Good afternoon Beta." The chief maid greeted me, and I turned to her, nodding.

I glanced around the kitchen looking for things I would use to make Lunch for Elora.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I almost didn't see the chief maid watching me  with curiosity. "What are you doing,Beta Damon?" She asked softly.

"Cooking for the Luna." I replied, my eyes searching the kitchen.

When I turned she said in a quieter voice. "You can't do that."She shook her head as I carried a little bowel looking for ingredients to cook for Elora.

"It doesn't work like that." I looked at her confused.

"What do you mean?" I frowned . "Why not?"

Suddenly, all the maids knelt down, the chief maid did so as well, making me step back  in surprise.

They started whispering amongst themselves before they started pleading.

"It's our job, let us do it Beta, you can't be the one cooking here." They chorused.

I blinked at them dumbfounded, I stared between their kneeling forms as I tried to listen to them.

My confusion quickly morphed into anger, when I thought of how Elora got poisoned, I knew it was one of them and right now I trusted none of them.

"All of you get up ." I ordered coldly.

They stood up and bowed their heads again, looking away from me. They were quiet for a few seconds until they spoke.

They whispered between themselves again before the chief maid said. "Please Beta." Her voice sounded so desperate, her face full of fear as she watched me toss the onions.

I clenched my jaw, I couldn't help feeling a little guilty for putting them on the spot but choosing to do their work, but I wasn't going to let them touch anything Elora would eat.

I didn't trust anyone around her, nor any of the maids, if she could get poisoned even with them around, there's a possibility whoever did it was still here.

My eyes narrowed as I glanced at them,  my gaze hardening as I picked up a knife. "I'm cooking for the Luna and that's final." I said icily.

And without waiting for their response I sliced the onion in half, letting it fall on the chopping board.

I heard a gasp from the maid behind me and the other maids shuffled nervously, they couldn't stop me and they had no choice but to agree.

I began cutting the carrots, celery and green beans with quick movements, while the maids began gushing.

"I didn't know he could handle kitchen ingredients this way." One said.

"He looks so hot cutting the carrots." Another whispered.

I ignored them, I continued to ignore their comments as I picked up the mushrooms and chopped them in silence. My mind wandered as I cut the potatoes.

How could Elora have gotten poisoned without me knowing? Were the maids responsible? Was it Luca and Zena?

My mind kept going over possible scenarios. I wondered if she was okay. I felt like she needed a long time to recuperate, but then, there was also the matter of those who poisoned her. How could they have gotten close enough to her without me being aware of it?

I gritted my teeth, as I mixed everything and added the spaghetti,  as it cooked, I sighed when it was finally done.

Scooping it into a plate and placing it on a tray, I ignored the stares and whispers of the maids and walked out of the kitchen.

I paused when I reached Elora's room, I could hear voices.

I stopped listening as they became more clear and I recognized one of them as Luca and  Zena's voice.

I opened the door quietly, watching them as my suspicion of them grew more.

I closed the door gently, as they were still oblivious of my presence.

"I'm so happy you woke up Luna." Zena grinned as she stared at Elora.

"Same here, we were so worried about you, I couldn't even imagine anything happening to you."

Luca agreed, his gaze never leaving Elora. He smiled warmly and she smiled back at him.

I took a deep breath, holding the tray tightly as I watched them.

"I'm so happy to be awake, I was even shocked to hear that I got poisoned." Elora  said, her hand on her forehead as she looked at Luca.

He laughed softly, a genuine smile on his face as he nodded. "We're glad you're alright, we were so scared." His expression softened at the memory. "I don't think I've ever been so frightened in my entire life."

"Yes, I was so terrified." Zena said, tears in her eyes. "I could hardly breathe, I was sure your blood would kill you." Her voice broke slightly, her expression filled with concern.

Elora nodded her head looking at Zena, giving her a reassuring smile. "I was fine, really."

Seeing them earnestly worried about her made me feel guilty for suspecting them at all.

I cleared my throat, causing both Luca and Zena to look at me. "I've brought lunch for you." I said and I put the tray onto the bed beside her.

I started feeding her after making her sit up, making Zena blush and Luca clear his throat repeatedly.

"You all can continue your conversation." I  said with an arched eyebrow.

Zena and Luca glanced at each other, and Luca nodded. I raised my eyebrows in silence, prompting Luca to speak.

"We were talking about how much we were all worried for her." Luca smiled fondly.

"It must have scared you guys when you saw her that way." I said nonchalantly, trying to sound like I hadn't just overheard what they were saying.

"Yes it did." They both admitted.

I nodded glancing at the clock. It was almost evening. I turned towards them, looking at them carefully, "Did she tell you her antidote made you wake up?"

"What?" Elora stared at Zena.

"It was nothing,I just wanted to see you okay." She smiled.

"Thank you." Elora  said looking at her in gratitude, I watched Elora and Zena exchange looks, and Luca gave me another small smile.

They both stood up immediately and Elora finished eating, I joined them walking out with them.

"I'm so sorry if I was rude or acting too suspicious with both of you." I apologized.

Luca chuckled. "Don't worry about it, we shouldn't have acted so suspicious in the first place."

"Thanks for your help and caring for her." I
offered with a small smile.

They looked at each other, before turning to me. Zena smiled. "It's really no problem, she has a lot of good friends, we all care very deeply for her."

The two left shortly after, leaving me alone in the hallway.