Chapter 56

**Zora's POV**

“I can't believe this, Zora. I'm so ashamed of myself, I can't even face my fellow coal miners!” Lucien snapped after we had gained consciousness and resumed work the next day.

I sat on a stone there with different thoughts racing through my mind. The thoughts of escaping and also thoughts of teaching Elora a suitable lesson.

Whenever I close my eyes, I am haunted by the memories of seeing myself naked, flogged and humiliated in front of the whole pack. The wealthy daughter of a rich business tycoon reduced to a nobody by someone she referred to as her friend.

If Elora has turned to an animal, then she needs to be tamed.

“Aren't you going to say something?” Lucien snapped.

“I'm trying to think, Lucien.” I answered calmly.

“This is what always annoys me about you, Zora. You're always thinking. When are you going to stop thinking and suggest ways out of this mess?” He asked and I sighed. “Do you know what I'm going through right now? I just wish I could tear some people apart because I don't understand why she would disgrace us like that. I want revenge, Zora.” He complained.

“If you want Revenge, then you'd have to shut your fucking mouth up and let me think!” I snapped at him.

“Do you think I love it here? I want to get the hell out of here as much as you do, but acting like this isn't going to solve anything, Lucien. Stop troubling me and use your head for once. Think of something as well. I can't be the only one thinking about a way out of here.” I sighed and stood up.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

I didn't answer him and started leaving. As I walked past the workers, I could hear them murmur about me. They said different kinds of bad things against me, and I sighed.

“Is she the one?” I heard someone ask and stopped in my tracks. When I looked back, I saw a group of older women, who were workers at the mine. They weren't slaves but had taken up the work because they needed the money to take care of themselves. Elora had told me this when we were still friends and had visited the coal mine together — who knew I was going to be here working as a slave one day?

“So you were the wolf acting stupidly with someone who wasn't your mate, right?” One of the women asked, and I frowned at her.

“I doubt that has anything to do with you. You've got to learn how to mind your business.” I warned her.

“Wow, you lack manners. I'm happy the Luna showed you your place and dealt mercilessly with you.” Another one said.

“The Luna was even lenient. What they deserve is to be burnt to death.” The third one scoffed.

“Instead of wasting your time with me here, why don't you use it in doing something meaningful with your life? You should really look at your lives before trying to correct me. I'm sure your sons or daughters have done worse.” I said, and their eyes glowed in rage.

“What did you just say?” One of the women asked, and instead of running or apologizing, I faced them.

“I'm much better than your children.” I repeated and that was the worst mistake I made because what followed was a resounding slap from one of the women. I opened my eyes in shock and looked at her.

“How dare you! You little wench! What right do you have to compare your stinky self to my Children? My children have their mates and are doing something meaningful with their lives.” She answered.

“If they were doing something meaningful with their lives, you wouldn't have been working in the coal mine for  money.” I fired back, and another slap landed on my cheeks from another woman.

“Can you imagine the audacity of this girl!” She snapped, and I could feel hot tears gathering in my eyes. I knew that if I blinked, the tears would roll down, so I stood with my eyes erect, not leaving those women because I didn't want them to think I was weak or anything.

One grabbed me by the hand and pushed me to the floor. Before I could comprehend what was happening, they joined hands and started beating me. I screamed for help, but no one was ready to help me. Even the guards that were put in charge of that place said nothing and only watched as this woman dealt with me.

I stood up and tried to run, but they pulled me back and pressed me to the ground. I could hear people whispering hateful words towards me, and tears rolled down my cheeks.

“Do you think we would allow you to get with this after what you said? After the insult you gave us, you must be dumb to think we would let you go Scot free.

I continued shouting and screaming for help. Lucien rushed to us and dragged me away from the bed. My body stung from the impact of their hands on me.

“Let her go!” He snapped at them.

“Isn't he the one she slept with? They lack manners. Look at the way he's yelling at us like he has some rights here.” They snapped and started beating Roland as well.

At the end of everything, we both got beaten up. When they finally left us, we went back to our station and I sat on the bare ground, wincing in pain. My back was aching seriously, and I could barely move.

I looked at Lucien, and he had his back turned to me. As I sat there, my hatred for Selene only grew and I couldn't wait to see her helpless and begging. I'm in this situation because of her.

Everything that happened was her fault and I will make sure she doesn't go Scot free.

“I won't spare you, Elora.”