Chapter 57

**Author's POV**

“Luna, you've got to do something. We all woke up this morning to see dirt in the water again. The people are thirsty with no water to drink. They can't bathe, either.” A man out of the people there complained.

Elora had gone to the throne room that morning, only to be met with crowds of angry pack members. The water they all used had been contaminated, and they had no idea how it happened.

Those at the source had told them everything happened at midnight. They woke up the next morning to see that the water was already polluted, and before they could stop distributing it to the people, it was going to take some time.

Elora sighed and looked at Damon. She was so confused and didn't know what to do. She had asked them to take care of it the first time and now, there was trouble again.

Damon cleared his throat. “I think we have to find out who's doing it first. It could be one or two people.” He said.

“How are we going to find them?” Elder Brent asked, his eyes narrowing at Damon.

Damon noticed but ignored him. “I don't think you're in the right position to ask me that question. I won't tell you yet, but will discuss it with Luna. When I've done that, then I can say it to the elders.” He replied, and Elder Brent frowned.

“What arrogance! Because you're the beta doesn't give you the right to pass an order like that.” Elder Brent snapped.

Damon just smirked and ignored him.

Elora smiled. “You all heard him. We'll find a solution and get back to you. For now, we'd have to connect the palace water, so it would reach everyone in the pack. When we get that one sorted out, then we'll take you all back to where you belong. How about that?” She suggested with a smile.

They nodded, bowed and walked out of the throne room. Elora faced the elders. “You can go now. I'll speak with Damon and get back to you.” She said,

“But this isn't right—”

“Elder Brent,” She called, and he turned to face her. “I said I would get back to you. Was there gum in my mouth when I said it, and it prevented you from hearing me?” She asked and he shook his head. “Good. Now leave.” She ordered.

With a sigh, he stood up and walked out of the throne room. Elder Blake stood up as well. He understood what Damon was doing and smiled at them before walking out of the throne room.

After their departure, Elora turned to Damon. “This better be good.” She sighed.

Damon smiled. “I have a feeling Elder Brent has something to do with the contamination.” He said.

“How?” Elora asked.

“I just noticed. The way his eyes moved when I talked about it is a hint, and his desperation to know the solution I wanted to suggest is another hint. He might not have a hand, but he might know someone who is doing this. That's why I didn't want to say it in his presence.” He narrated and Elora nodded.

“I've always found him suspicious, but I never had the thought that he would go that far.” She replied.

“And that's why we're going to carry out the plan without them knowing. When you let your enemy know your movements, you give them the chance to trample all over you. We'll get it done and await his reaction tomorrow morning.” Damon smirked.

“That's nice to hear, so what do you have in mind?” Elora asked.

He pulled her close and whispered something into her ears.

“Wow, that's a nice plan, but why do you have to go with them?” She pouted.

“Because I want to see things first hand,” He answered, and she frowned. “Are you worried about me, mate?” He smirked.

“Of course I am. It might be dangerous since it's midnight. Who knows? They might wield weapons.” She sighed.

Damon chuckled. “You don't have to worry about me. You should be worried about those hoodlums that dared to contaminate our water.” He smiled.

Elora sighed.

Night came sooner than expected, and Damon was able to gather some palace guards. He explained the plan to them and made sure they understood.

Elora came to meet them. “Be careful, all of you. If you have any chance to attack them before they touch you, do it. Hoodlums like that are very dangerous, besides, you don't know what you're expecting, so be vigilant.” She advised them.

“Yes!” They chorused and she faced Damon. “Please, stay safe.” She pecked his forehead.

Damon hugged her and led the guards to the source of the water. They stayed there and waited, but nothing happened.

“Are you sure they're going to come tonight, beta?” One of the guards asked Damon.

“Yes, I'm certain. Let's wait a little longer. Don't you watch in movies when they say, a criminal always returns to the scene of the crime?” He asked and they chuckled.

“I've noticed that,” Another guard said. “You'd really be good as a detective. You said it so well, it persuaded us to believe you.”

They laughed. While they were there, they heard movements and Damon signaled them to go stealth. They lowered themselves in the tall grasses there, making no sound.

They saw a group of men, five to be precise, carrying a bag of dirt to the water source. When they were about to pour it in, Damon signaled for the guards to surround them.

They did, and he walked to where the men stood. He cleared his throat, drawing their attention.

“May I know what you're doing here?” He asked and they took a defensive stance immediately. Damon rolled his eyes. “Fools,” He muttered. “I asked a question.”

“Get out of here and allow us to do our job before things get messy.” One of the men said.

“You call contaminating the water and risking the life of your fellow wolves a job? Okay, let's assume it was a job. Who hired you?” He asked.

“Let's just ignore him,” Another one said and turned to pour it, but Damon flung it out of his hand.

“I want to give you an opportunity to turn yourselves in directly. We don't have to get violent to achieve our aims, you know?” He smirked at them.

They didn't listen and tried to attack him. Before they could touch him, the guards came out and grabbed them. One tried to run, but Damon kicked him in the mid-section, sending him to the ground immediately.

“When we get to the palace, you can as well tell us why you decided to do this,” Damon scoffed and faced the remaining guards. “Clean this place up and make sure there is no more dirt in the water by tomorrow morning. I'll contact the board and ask them to work on purifying it again.” He ordered.

“Yes, beta!” They exclaimed, and he followed the guards that took the hoodlums to the palace. It was already morning by the time they arrived, and Elora was in the throne room with Elder Blake and Elder Brent.

When Damon walked in with them, Elder Brent's eyes widened. Elora smiled and got down from where she sat.

“These are the troublemakers that contaminated the pack's water.” Damon revealed, looking at Elder Brent, who had a shocked expression on his face.

“Who sent you?” Elora asked.

“We won't tell you.” One snapped and she slapped him across the face.

“I am your Luna! Talk to me with respect!” She snapped and they bowed their heads. “Are you ready to talk, or do I have to force it out of your mouths?” She took one of the guards' swords.

She placed it on the neck of one of them and was about to slice when he shouted.

“I'll talk.” He said.

“I'm listening.” She frowned, her sword still placed on his neck.

“It was Beta Dexter and the elders.” He answered and her eyes widened.

“The elders?”