Chapter 34

**Elora's POV**

“That's a relief!” I said to myself the minute Damon kicked Lucien's sword away and it fell. My joy was boundless because at some point, I thought Lucien was going to beat him, but he proved me wrong.

I was so happy that I didn't know when I stood up and started clapping like the rest. Damon looked at him and smiled, I returned the smile before I realized what I was doing.

I cleared my throat and took the stage, then grabbed a mic. If only Damon knew what he had done for me. Lucien being my beta was like handling two problems at the same time. How would I get my revenge when the people expect me to take advice from him?

When I wanted to pick Damon as my beta directly, Elder Blake secretly advised me to do it this way. He made me understand that the people might think I did it because he was my mate and I wanted to favor him. I could do that if I wanted to, but I didn't want them to feel like Damon didn't deserve it even though I was sure he did, and so I had to make them see for themselves.

At one point, there were doubts, but thank goodness that Damon proved to be a great warrior.

“Presenting our beta!” I exclaimed and cheers erupted from the crowd. “Tell us how it feels to win, Damon?” I requested.

He collected the mic and faced the people. “I don't even know where to start from,” He said, and they erupted in another round of applause again. When they quieted down, he sighed and began, “Dear pack members and my fellow contestants, I stand before you today humbled and grateful for this incredible honor. Winning this beta ceremony fighting contest was a dream come true for me, and I am deeply appreciative of all the support and encouragement I received from each one of you. Though it was just for a few minutes, this has been one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life. It has taught me the power of perseverance, the importance of hard work, and the value of never giving up on my dreams,” He paused and I smiled.

“I want to express my gratitude to the Luna for organizing this contest and for providing us with this remarkable platform to showcase our skills and talent. To my fellow contestants, thank you for pushing me to be my best and for making this competition such an exciting and unforgettable experience. Finally, I would like to thank the pack members for their cheers and support. Thank you all once again for this astounding honor. I will cherish it always, and I promise to do my work diligently and aid the Luna in making the pack, the most beautiful place to be.” he concluded and took a bow, making them scream and jam their hands.

I collected the mic from him and faced the people. “And there you have it. Damon is the qualified beta,” I announced, and they cheered again. “I'd like to say this to the contestants that didn't win. It's not that you didn't have the skills or that you aren't qualified, but we all know some things happen for our good,” I said this, looking directly at Lucien. He scoffed and walked away. Zora followed him immediately. “I believe you all can do better next time. Thanks for showing interest in the affairs of the pack,” I concluded.

They nodded and returned to standing in the crowd. “Well, now that we've gotten our beta, let's eat, drink and be merry!” I announced.

The people cheered. Damon shook hands with the elders, while I gestured for the maids to serve the people.

I returned to my seat and Damon came to stand beside me.

“Are you happy that I'm the winner?” He asked and I gave him a questioning look. Why the sudden question out of nowhere? “Well, you told me this morning that there was someone you had in mind. You said he was the right candidate for the job. I don't know who he is, though, but since he didn't win, are you sad?” He asked.

I laughed internally and looked up to meet his serious gaze. He looked so serious that I couldn't help but laugh.

Why don't I tease him a bit?

“I'm not happy.” I answered.

“Huh?” He looked at me like he had heard wrong.

“I said I'm not happy,” I tried to keep my voice firm. “The candidate I wanted was better than you in all ramifications. You just got lucky by winning. If I had my way, I would have declared your winning void.” I scoffed.

I knew my words hurt him, but he didn't want to show it. This was typical Damon. He never showed if he was hurt by something and just smiled at it. It reminded me of everything I did to him back when we were in school, and I felt that pang of guilt hit me all over again. I shouldn't have tried to tease him.

I looked up at him, and he forced a smile.

“My number one priority is to make you happy, mate. In this case, my happiness doesn't matter, even though all I ever want is to be by your side. I want you to be happy, and if me being your beta will stop that, then I'm ready to denounce it, so you can give it to the candidate of your choice. As far as you're happy, then I'm happy.” His voice was low.

“Damon—”

“I know you still don't like me, mate. My earnest wish is that you should look at me for once. I love you, Elora. I love you so much that it drives me crazy and hurts me when you make me feel like I mean nothing to you. I get it, babe. Liking me can't happen overnight, and that was why I was happier to be your beta. That way, it'll be easier to win your heart. I didn't know it would affect you.” He muttered.

Damn! If only he knew.

“Damon, it's not what you're thi—”

“I'm sorry, Elly.” He bowed and walked away.

I watched him disappear into the crowd.

Shit! What have I done?