Chapter 31

**Elora's POV**

After their failed attempt to spike my drink, I didn't see them in the palace for a while and that was something to worry about, but I wasn't moved. Damon had run to the palace that day and for the first time scolded me for almost giving him a heart attack.

I smiled as I remembered how he went on and on about how he almost got hit by a car.

“You should have called and told me that it was all a scheme to escape from the clutches of Lucien and Zora. Do you know how I sped here? My heart was racing so fast, I felt like disappearing and appearing wherever you were. I almost had a heart attack, Elora. Don't do that again, ever!” He warned and sighed after he was done ranting.

Even though I had laughed at him then and called him childish, I couldn't deny the fact that I was moved by how much he cared about me, and how he showed me that he truly cared about me. I could see the panic evident in his face when he had run to meet me, and that didn't make me blame him for scolding me.

It was nice to have someone who showed he cared, unlike those fake people who only come into your life because of what you have and what they can take from you.

I sighed and got down from the bed. Today, I was going to officially announce Damon as my beta. Apart from Elder Blake, he was the second person I trusted. My eyes darted to the table stand where I had dropped the teddy bear Lucien gave to me. I walked up to it and carried it.

“You're a teddy bear of lies,” I muttered and dropped it.

The maids walked in and stood before me in a single file.

“You're all trying, but I want to be the one to bathe myself from now on.” I said, and they all exchanged looks.

“Pardon me, Luna. Why? Are we not doing our work right? Did we offend you in any way?” One of them asked, and they all went on their knees.

“If we've done something wrong, please have mercy.” They begged.

I smiled. “No, not at all. Please get up,” I gestured for them to stand up and they did. “It's not that you aren't doing your job well. You've done nothing wrong, too. You can still pick out my dresses and style my hair, but I want to bathe myself.” I smiled at them.

They were quiet for a while before nodding. I smiled and walked into the bathroom. The bath was already prepared and it was warm.

I quickly took my bath and came out to see that they had already picked out my clothes for me. They helped me put it on, and I sat close to the dresser as they dried my hair while others fixed my makeup. They were barely done when a maid walked in and bowed.

“My Luna, Someone is here to see you. He said his name is Damon.” She delivered.

“Let him in,” I smiled and she rushed out.

I looked in the mirror and saw him walk in elegantly. He wasn't a prince, but the way he carried himself screamed royalty. Though his father was a rich business tycoon and the wealthiest after the royal family, Damon loved to live his life on a low-key and never for once, bragged about his father's wealth or even acted like he was from a noble family.

“Good morning, Luna.” He greeted me.

“Good morning, Damon,” I answered. “Leave us.” I ordered the maids after he entered.

They bowed and left.

“They aren't done with you yet. Why did you order them to leave?” He asked.

“If they aren't done, I can get it done myself. It's no big deal.” I shrugged and took the hair dryer, but he collected it from me.

“Allow me,” He said, and, without waiting for my approval, started drying my hair.

“You know this is supposed to be a lady's job, right?” I asked and he chuckled.

“Yes, but I could make an exception for my love.” He blurted out, and I rolled my eyes at him even though my heart fluttered.

“Don't get your hopes up. I've always told you that.” I warned, but he only smirked.

While flipping my hair to the side, his fingers brushed against the side of my neck and I felt something spark within me. I bit my lip and played with my fingers as he continued to dry my hair.

His hands brushed against my skin multiple times, and I couldn't help but suspect that he was doing it on purpose. The spark that ignited made me feel like he should touch me. I could suddenly picture the image in my head and sprung up from my seat.

“What's the problem?” He asked and I cleared my throat.

“Nothing. I think my hair is dry now. Thanks for your assistance.” I said and he smiled.

“Anytime, but are you sure you're fine?” He asked and I quickly nodded.

“I'll be choosing a beta tonight. I want you to be there,” I said.

“I'm glad you finally found someone to be the beta. You must trust that person a lot.” He smiled at me.

“Yes, I do. He is the best candidate for the job,” I replied and quickly rushed out of the room.

I packed my hair into a ponytail and rushed to the kitchen. I went for the refrigerator immediately and took cold water. I couldn't comprehend how my body was reacting, but I was sure I would be better if I took cold water.

I gulped a whole bottle down and placed my hand on my forehead before walking out. As I made my way to the throne room, his face kept appearing before me, and I shook my head.

I closed my eyes and exhaled, but when I opened them, I saw someone I wasn't quite pleased to see.

“What are you doing here?”