Chapter 33

**Damon's POV**

As I made my way through the winding forest path, my heart was pounding with excitement and anticipation. I knew that tonight was going to be one of the most important nights of my life – the night of the beta ceremony. I had so many thoughts about this ceremony last night. A part of me told me I was going to get picked as the nominee, who would be tested and I would make sure I showed Elora that I was the best choice for her. I didn't trust anyone with her at all. I want to be beside her since she has enemies everywhere. They might not attack now, but I'm sure they're waiting for the right time and have plans for her already.

My father isn't going to be happy if he finds out that the heir to his conglomerate was going to contest for the beta position. He would even be more furious if I emerged as a winner, but that wasn't important. The safety of my mate matters a lot.

As I emerged into the clearing, I was greeted by the sight of a large crowd of people, all gathered around the central firepit. The air was thick with the scent of wood smoke and the sound of excited chatter and laughter.

I looked around at the decorations, which had been carefully arranged to create a festive atmosphere. Streamers of colorful ribbons hung between the trees, and lanterns glowed softly in the branches overhead. The firepit itself was decorated with flowers and greenery, and the flames danced merrily in the cool night air. Wow, Elora really has good taste for making the maids do this.

As I made my way through the crowd, I could feel the energy and anticipation building. Everyone was dressed in their finest clothes, and there was a sense of joy and celebration in the air.

As the ceremony began, I listened intently as Elora spoke of the importance of the beta role, and the responsibilities that came with it. I felt a surge of pride and determination at her words, knowing that I was ready to take on whatever challenges laid ahead. She looked exceptionally beautiful tonight as if she had taken her time to groom herself today.

“I already have someone I would like to pick as my beta in mind, but I was advised that it wouldn't be nice if others aren't given a shot at it. Even though the person might seem okay in my eyes, what about you people? You all might not like him and so I want to give that person a chance to prove to you all that I made the right choice and to prove to me that I didn't make a mistake,” She announced, and our eyes met. She quickly looked away from me. She did tell me that the person has what it takes and is the right candidate for that position. Who could that be?

I looked around the crowd but it was hard finding anyone, since she didn't make any description.

“So, let's do it this way. I need ten men who are courageous enough to step out and try to claim the beta position,” She said and the whole place went silent. The silence was so thick that one could cut through it with a knife. “Step forward if you're interested in the beta position and can also fight for it,” She said.

I wasn't ready to waste time and so I stepped forward. The moment I stood before her, hope seemed to flicker in her orbs as she looked at me, but she said nothing.

I looked both sides and saw that men, who were interested in this beta position were already standing. By my side stood Lucien. I wondered why he was interested in the beta position, but soon I realized that it could be because he wanted to get close to her, considering the warning he gave me the other day.

I turned and we locked gazes.

“What are you doing here, pretty boy? Aren't you supposed to be in your father's company sacking employees or something?” He asked, mockery etched in his voice.

“Aren't you supposed to be fucking around like you always do?” I fired back.

He frowned but kept his cool. “You aren't supposed to be here. Go bury your face in the laptop. That's your spot. Leave something like this to us that knows what we are doing.” He warned and I scoffed.