Chapter 40

**Author's POV**

“She dismissed all of you?” Dexter asked, shock written all over his face.

Elder Matt sighed. “After dismissing you as the beta, our next plan was to bring someone that would act as her beta, thereby giving us a chance against her. You know what I mean?” He asked, and Dexter nodded.

“What are we going to do? There are hidden treasures in that palace, and we can't let her find out about them. We have to find a way to bring her down.” Elder Adam suggested.

Elder Moon stood up. He was still angry that Elora ordered for his cousin's hand to be cut off. He wanted a way to make Elora pay for what she had done. “We need to find a way to turn the people against her.” He proposed and the rest of the elders nodded.

Dexter paced forth and back in the spacious living room, thinking of where to start from. After Elora stripped him of his title, he had been planning different ways to pay her back. Now the elders have come to inform him that they were ready to work with him on taking over the throne.

“I have something big up my sleeves, but we have to set the foundation first.” He massaged his temple.

“That foundation is what?” Elder Moon asked.

Dexter turned to face him with a smirk. “Let's follow your plan. We will turn the people against her. But we're going to need a little help from an insider in the palace.” Dexter sighed.

“I know exactly who would be on our side.” Elder Matt smirked.

“Well then, here's what we're going to do…"

****

Back At Elder Blake's Residence…

“Please, you must at least know something.” Elora sighed.

She had wanted to find out if Elder Blake knew how her parents got poisoned, but he had no idea.

“Why are you suddenly interested in finding out about their deaths, dear?” He asked and she sighed.

“I have a hunch that someone close to us is responsible for their deaths. It's not normal that they died from poison and everyone decided to keep quiet about it.” She said, her voice laced with determination.

“Are you sure you still want to do this? The case has been buried all these years.” He said, for the fear of what they might do to her.

Likewise, He was aware that the death of the Alpha and Luna wasn't a coincidence. Someone caused it, but the problem was who? He remembered when he tried to dig out the truth behind their deaths, but received death threats from different angles. The worst part was that the threats were not directed at him, but Elena, his daughter, and so he had to stop for fear that she might die.

The person giving the threats is yet to be found. He didn't want Elora to get into a dangerous situation because it hadn't been long since she ascended as Luna.

But Elora was determined to get to the root of it all. She didn't care what it might cost. Her parents were murdered, and it was all covered up like dirt. No one said anything about it, and no one attempted to find out how it happened.

She couldn't either and that was why she was vexed. She had the chance to find out, but she couldn't and the beta didn't try when she met him for help either.

“Elder Blake, I have to find the truth about their deaths. I can't sit and let them get away with it. It might be something of the past, but I'm definitely certain that there are traces somewhere. All I have to do is find it, and you're helping me.” She said,

“What?” He blinked.

“Yes, Elder Blake. Don't you want to know who did it?” She asked.

“Elora, you don't understand what you're going into. This is the most dangerous part of you being a Luna yet.” He facepalmed.

“I am ready to face any danger that comes my way, Elder Blake. I am no longer that Elora that sees fire and runs to hide anymore. I'll face everything that comes my way head on. No more running, Elder Blake. Come on, you promised to stand by me and respect whatever decisions I'm going to take. I've taken one, and need your help.” She was determined.

Elder Blake was worried about her, but nevertheless, he was going to stand by her side and guide her if she was making a dangerous decision.

With a sigh, he nodded his head and Elora smiled. “But you'd have to promise to listen to whatever advice I give you, Elora.” He said.

“Sure, I will.” She smiled.

“And food is ready!” Elena announced and placed the food in the dining area. “Come, Luna, and eat food befitting your status.” She smiled.

Elora smiled and stood up.

“What did you cook for me?” She asked Elena with a friendly smile.

“Well, I heard you love having rice with chicken soup in the afternoons, so…" She smiled and opened the food.

Elora's eyes lit up immediately she saw how delicious the food looked. The aroma of the food alone made her mouth water.

“Gosh, Elena, this looks yummy.” She exclaimed and took a seat.

Elder Blake chuckled. “It's been a long time since I saw Elora excited over food like this.”

Elora chuckled as Elena served the food. “Let's just say, things didn't taste the same.” She answered.

“I can relate, that's why I decided to make it like a homemade food.” Elena said.

“Thanks,” Elora smiled and took her spoon.

She was about to eat when something suddenly occurred to her. She had vowed not to trust anyone, then why was she going to eat Elena's food? Her gaze went to Elena, who was busy serving her father's food on his plate. Elder Blake stood up and sat opposite her at the dining table. She looked at him as well, and he smiled at her.

After Elena sat down to eat, their gazes met and Elena smiled at her.

She returned the smile and took the food on a spoon. They were like family to her, and she knew too well that Elder Blake and his daughter won't hurt her. They have no reason to, and even if they did, not this way.

“This is delicious!” She exclaimed when they started eating, and Elena smiled proudly. It was an honor to be commended by the Luna and she valued it.

“Thanks, Luna.” She smiled.

***

Elder Brent stepped out of his car and was shocked to see someone he didn't expect at his doorstep.

“Beta Dexter,” He exclaimed.

“Let's make a deal.”