Chapter 81

**Elora's POV**

I saw the elders scrunch up their faces in irritation. Even I found it weird, but I did give Damon the go ahead to do whatever he liked. I was eager to know who the murderer was.

I have a conviction that it wouldn't be Elder Blake because he had nothing to do with Gina. He was someone who didn't like having any familiarity with the maids or guards, but I didn't want to conclude just yet because of what Lucien did to me. I have learnt not to trust too easily and allow personal conviction get in the way of what I'm trying to achieve.

“What do you think you're doing? Are you trying to blame us, the elders, for the death of a common maid?” Elder Brent asked.

He had been quiet for some time, and I wondered why he spoke up.

“This isn't something you should have a problem with, Elder Brent. Besides, Elder Blake didn't say anything, so I don't see why—”

“Because he didn't say anything doesn't mean he approved of this bullshit!” He snapped, interrupting Damon, which kind of pissed me off.

“So, what you're trying to say is that you're now his spokesperson? Did Elder Blake tell you he didn't approve that with his mouth or, perhaps, was it through a mind link?” I asked him, and he turned to look at me.

“I'm sorry, Luna, but this is uncalled-for. It's pure disrespect for our titles. We're the elders of the pack for crying out loud. Doing this means you don't trust us.”

“Yes, I don't trust you guys, especially you, Elder Brent,” I said and he gasped. “Did that shock you?” I scoffed. “I'm beginning to wonder where you got your courage from, so you better not be the one responsible for Gina's death, else, I'll take this show you just put up personal and have you killed. After all, my father decreed that anyone who commits murder should be killed as well.” I smirked and saw fear flash in his eyes that instant.

“Please, cooperate with me, Elder Brent. I just want you and Elder Blake to scratch forcefully on this board once. If none of the fingers match with the one I have here, then I'll move to the next person in my suspect list.” Damon moved away and they walked forward.

I watched them closely as they approached the board. I tried to find traces of fear in them, but couldn't get a hint of anything. They looked so confident and like nothing would shake them.

Damon looked at me and I gave him a small nod as I watched the elders keenly.

“Scratch the board already! We haven't got all day!” I snapped, becoming impatient and annoyed at how much time they were wasting.

It seemed both of them wanted the other to strike first, but I wasn't in the mood to have that.

Before I could open my mouth to say anything else, Elder Blake struck first. I looked at Damon to see his expression, but it was unreadable. I saw Elder Brent exhale before doing this.

Damon smiled this time and gestured for them to move back. He walked up to me and whispered into my ears.

“Look at those claw marks closely, and then look at this one. You'll know who truly killed Gina.” He said and handed a paper to me before going down.

I looked at the paper and then at the board. My eyes widened when I saw an identical one.

“Oh my gosh!” I exclaimed and sprung up from my seat, my eyes wide open and glued to the paper in my hand. The marks I was looking at were so similar that you can barely see the difference. Though the one on the board almost looked different, a claw mark would always be a claw mark. There is no way it can be changed.

I walked to where the two Elders stood angrily and showed them the paper. Elder Blake exhaled and moved away, leaving me and Elder Brent. I could literally see the shock in Elder Brent's eyes as he tried to find words.

“What do you have to say for yourself?” I asked him.

He went on his knees immediately and I felt disgusted. Him trying to beg for forgiveness made me angrier, and I felt like digging my claws into his neck and ripping his throat out.

“I'm sorry, your Majesty. Please have Mercy!”

“Have mercy, you say?” I scoffed and glared at him. “You killed an innocent girl in the most brutal way possible, and you expect me to have mercy on you? You don't deserve mercy. You deserve to die!” I stalled at him and he held my feet.

Damon yanked him away from me and pushed him to the ground. The guards grabbed hold of him and I stared at him with nothing but hatred and resentment in my eyes. I felt like making him suffer more than he made that girl suffer, but what could be more painful than torture then death?

“Now, tell us, who has this ring?” Damon asked.

Elder Brent was literally shivering like a goat that was about to be slaughtered.

“I'm the one.” He answered.

“Didn't you say it was at home? Oh my goodness, people are so heartless!” Elder Blake exclaimed. “Brent, so you could do something like this?” He asked.

I shook my head. “I'm not going to waste my time with you, Elder Brent. I know Dexter sent you to do what you did. Now, tell me, where is he?” I asked.

“Before I tell you where he is and where the elders that escaped are hiding—”

“What?” I cut in and he nodded.

“Yes, I know where they're hiding and can take you there. Dexter made me hide them, and they've been plotting against you,” He said and I ruffled my hair.

“Those sleazy old bags!” I snapped.

“I'll tell you everything, but you'd have to do me a favor and grant my request.” He said.

I glared at him. “And what favor might that be?” I asked with folded hands.

“Spare me!”

My eyes widened.

The audacity of this wolf. Has he gone mad ?