Chapter 35

**Damon's POV**

“I'm hurt,” I muttered to myself and stopped walking as I glanced at the sky. The moon was out, and the stars danced around it, giving the sky a beauty to behold.

They all worked hand in hand to make the night beautiful, and it was supposed to be something I would look up at on a normal day and smile, but this day, it felt like my whole world was crashing down.

When she said she had a candidate, for a moment, I thought I was the one; that was why I tried my best to win, so she wouldn't be ashamed, but it seemed me winning made her anger for me to grow.

I want her to be happy and also want to be by her side as well. Everything is just messed up!

“Calm down, fella. Our mate needs time to accept us.” Rex, my wolf, spoke out.

I internally glared at him. “Why are you not feeling the hurt I'm in, Rex? In this case, you should be the one whining about her and me trying to comfort you and give you hope, not the other way round, please.” I hissed.

“I'm not worried because I am connected to her wolf. The day you guys slept together was the day our wolves were connected, and from that day, I knew we were meant to be.” he explained.

“Of course we are meant to be, but she's hurting me.” I snapped.

“Are you angry at her, then?” He asked and I sighed.

“Surprisingly, no,” I sighed and ruffled my hair. “This is a part of me that I hate so much, Rex. I'm supposed to be angry at her for hurting me, but…" I trailed off.

“You can't because she's your mate, and because of the love you have for her.” Rex said.

“Enough,” I cut off the mind link and continued walking to wherever my legs would take me. I wanted to go home, but I know Father won't let me sleep tonight with questions about where I've been and what I've been doing.

I smelled rain coming and the first person who came to my mind was Elora. I turned back and was about walking back to the palace but remembered that the guards were there and would take her inside whenever the rain started. With that concluded, I started walking away.

My mind wandered to so many things as the wind blew hard, reminding me of what happened between me and Elora that day.

#flashback

It was a windy day just like this one, and I was one to easily catch a cold. My mother died a few days back and to prevent myself from thinking too much, I had to go to school that day, and forgot my sweater.

We were in the class when a great wind came and the weather changed, showing that it was going to run. I saw the students rushing to their lockers to pick up their sweaters and realized that I had forgotten mine at home.

Elora sat in the front, her face buried in a book. She didn't seem disturbed by the cold and was doing just fine.

“Aren't you going to put on your sweater? It's about to rain.” Zora said to her.

She glanced at Zora with a smile. “You know how much I love the rain. I don't catch colds easily.” She replied.

Zora giggled. “Yeah, I almost forgot,” She said.

I summoned up courage and walked up to her. Since she doesn't catch colds easily, she could at least help me out with her sweater.

“Hi, Elora.” I waved at her with a nervous smile.

“What do you want, Damon?” She asked, her eyes not leaving the book she was reading.

“I was wondering if you would lend me your sweater. I'm intolerant to cold and forgot to carry mine. I had no idea it was going to rain.” I explained.