49

"Uh, we should go downstairs now" Alex commented after a few moments of silence, and I smiled in response before turning around and leaving the room.

I didn't pay attention to where Alex went as I walked down the stairs, but definitely did pay attention to Chance suddenly appearing in front of me when I got to the bottom of the stairs.

"How can I help?" I asked, assuming he wanted to talk to me as he had his arms crossed blocking my path.

"I need to talk to you, in my office please" he said before walking down the hall, and I clicked my tongue with a suspicious frown before following him.

"What did I do now?" I asked as I stepped into the office, and he closed the door before getting my phone out of the draw.

He handed it to me with a serious expression and motioned for me to read what was on it.

It was a text message from a number I hadn't yet added to my contacts.

Hey dear, it's your mother here, remember me, the parent who raised you?

Well, I've had some concerning calls from that pathetic father of yours, I thought we talked about this?! Don't you dare talk to that manipulative son of a bitch!

Anyway, I don't want to come home early because of the concerning things he's telling me you're going to do, I think you know what I mean. I'm away from home right now but I'm still responsible for what happens to you, you're not to leave this country, you understand?

I don't appreciate this interruption, I was supposed to forget about my troubles this month, but you just don't seem to want to leave me alone, do you!

We'll talk about this when I return next week young man, and you better be there when I do!

I snickered at her typically cold message then glanced at Chance, who was giving me a calculating look.

"Number one, your mother's a bitch, even our father at least seems to pretend to love us. Number two, what is she talking about 'leaving the country?' for?" he commented and I bit my lip.

"I'm not planning to, my father just suggested I do this holiday. He's pretty persistent, but I'm pretty sure he can't force me so you don't need to worry" I explained, but his thoughtful frown remained on his face.

"Why?" he asked simply and I sighed.

"He wants to regain parental custody of me before I'm eighteen. I'm not sure of his reasons behind it, but I know they aren't for my sake" I replied and he snickered.

"Your family seems as just about as manipulative as ours" he commented and i looked around kind of awkwardly, I didn't like talking about this stuff.

"Did you grow up with you mother looking after you?" he asked and I gave him a questioning look.

"Just curious" he said with a smile, and I grit my teeth before thinking up an answer.

"Um, kind of, I grew up with a maid looking after me in England, when my parents got divorced my mother moved to America without thinking about the problem of money. We moved in with some random asshole and she got a job that left me in the house alone all day. Don't know if that counts as raising, but she fed me sometimes. Then she worked her way up the corporate ladder with an 'unknown' method, eventually marrying the CEO only to divorce him and take half of his money. During that time I was looked after by him to be honest. I'm pretty sure she spent most of the money on 'having a good time' and leaving me alone in a rented pent house, when the money ran out that's when she set her sights on your father I guess" I explained while tapping my foot anxiously.

He raised a brow and sat back in his chair.

"So that's what she's planning to do, divorce our father and take his money?" he asked and I bit my lip.

"Maybe...possibly ...probably" I admitted with an awkward cringe and he smiled.

"She's clever, I'll give her that. And it's not like our father doesn't deserve it. How long until she does do you think?" he continued to question me and I looked to the door longingly.

"A year maybe, she needs to make it seem realistic, otherwise she might not get the money" I continued to answer obediently but was starting to get anxious and inpatient.

"A year's a long time, especially for an attractive boy to spend with 9 other males in the same house, you know everything will just get more distressful from here on out right?" he asked and I raised a brow at him.

"...Yes..." I frowned when I thought about it. The way things are escalating day by day, this will be too much to deal with within a week, I need to start distancing myself from everyone.

"Riley..." Chance started to ask then stopped.

"What?" I asked cautiously and he made an awkward face.

"Did any of the men your mother left you with...hurt you in any way?" he continued and I snickered.

"I'll be going now, Chance" I said with a fake smile before quickly exiting the room and closing the door behind me.

I walked into the study and sat down on the lonely black sofa, sighing and rubbing my brow.

"Hey there angel, saw you looking a bit stressed" Zac's voice suddenly sounded from nowhere and I jumped as he hugged me from behind the sofa.

"Holy shit Zac don't sneak up on people" I warned while trying to calm my breathing, and he chuckled in amusement.

"What's up?" he asked, still not letting go and I sighed.

"Nothing" I replied bluntly and felt him squeeze me harder.

"Aww don't be like that babe, you can trust me" he said in a kind of high pitched voice while practically squishing me and I rolled my eyes.

"Personal space is a thing, Zac" I said as he seemingly ran a finger across my jawline while frowning at it.

"Who gave you that? Bit rough don't you think?" he commented, and I realised he must have been talking about the hickey.

"It's just a bruise" I lied and he made a pout face.

"Awww, really, do you want me to kiss it better?" he teased before attacking my jaw with his lips and I tried to push him off of me.

"Zac!" I complained while trying to get free from his abnormally strong arms and he just chuckled like he didn't even feel me pushing.

I eventually just sighed and stared ahead of me with an unimpressed glare while he laughed like a moron.

"Not the strongest of men, are you?" he commented as he let me go and I just ignored him.

Bitch, I'm plenty strong, for my age and build at least.

"Aww don't be like that" he teased and I raised a brow at him.

"You're not helping my mood" I stated and he smirked.

"Sorry, sweets" he said before walking around and sitting on the sofa next to me.

"What are you doing in here looking stressed for anyway Rile Rile?" he asked and I sighed.

"Life." I answered, even though that technically didn't make sense, but whatever.

"Ah. Life, its a tough one" he said and put his arm around my shoulder. I sighed without trying to push him off, like I could've anyway.

A phone started vibrating and he held a confused expression on his face.

"Is that me?" he asked and I smirked.

"I got my phone taken away from me so I hope so" I said and he started laughing.

"You go your phone taken away?" he asked mid chuckle while taking his phone out of his pocket and I rolled my eyes.

"You don't live in the house Riley, you're trapped here. Excuse me, must take this" he commented before walking out and I hmph'd in a kind of agreement.

They think I'm trapped, but I'm really not. I'll leave if or when I want to.