113

Proof reading? What's that?

-

Chance was tense on the drive back, something was definitely on his mind.

"...How did the meeting go?" I dared to ask after a while.

"Huh? Oh, right...um." He sighed. "The lawyers digging into your past education has really brought your lack of official education to light. The school is.... unenthusiastic about putting in extra effort to keep you there. You're not exactly a valuable student."

"Shit, I wasn't expecting to be this much of a highschool drop out..."

"This much?"

"Well, I thought I could make it to the end of the year at least."

"Riley..."

"I know education isn't my strong point, I never expected to have a good time."

"That's not your fault...if you had just stayed in proper education, I'm almost sure you'd have good grades."

"Well, that didn't happen."

Chance sighed again, glaring at the road. "They're going to let you stay for a while, as long as you don't drop your attendance and pass the midterms."

"Um..." I bit my lip. "Okay..."

There was silence for a while, before Chance sighed yet again.

"Riley...." He paused. "I've been talking with... Mr Aicher, about your time in California." He said, and I tensed.

"He seems to have no knowledge of your bad relationship with his son. And was very displeased about the interview Finn was forced to go to yesterday evening."

"Shit, they've been confronting him?"

"Well, the opposing lawyers have, so they were probably asking questions to make it seem like you had a consensual relationship, but I'm sure he got the gist of what was going on, and why they were asking him it."

"He knows it wasn't my idea right?"

"Riley...he can't do anything to you, you're in different states."

"I wouldn't underestimate him." I sighed, looking down at my phone. "It is likely not a coincidence, I keep on getting messages from an unknown number, I blocked it yesterday, but a new one had popped up today."

Chance stared at me intensely. "Let me see." I handed him my phone, and he swiped through the messages as he drove.

"The past ones are empty?"

"Yeah, they're all just silence. But the texts I got today weren't some telemarketing scheme, I'm sure of it."

I ignored them easily, but a few of the texts were ominous, saying things like 'you've got some nerve', and 'remember what I promised' .

Not exactly friendly.

Chance sighed. "This kid has some serious issues. And resources." He scoffed, before handing me back my phone. "I'll put a monitor on your phone tomorrow, and call LAPD to make sure they monitor him. I won't allow him to harass you like that."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, that makes me feel better."

"Don't worry about it Riley, you're far away from him now. We've got you." He smirked and I looked out of the window.

"I will try not to."

-

Chance disappeared as soon as we got back, and I stayed outside for a while with Anatara, enjoying the quiet.