136

-
When we got back to the house I became a little nervous. I almost didn't go in, but Aaron just kept on going, leaving me behind, and I definitely didn't want him being alone with them after today.

Okay, how am I going to defuse the situation without interfering at the same time...

Chance gave Aaron a look as soon as he walked into the living room. "Aaron-" he started with an irritated voice then stopped when he noticed me standing beside him.

He sighed, a little hesitant to bring the topic up with me around.

Aaron just glared at him, and I gently elbowed his side. He looked at me in confusion, and I subtly shook my head.

He stared me down for a few moments before giving in and sighing, staying silent.

Good.

"I think you have something to discuss with me, Chance?" I smiled slightly and he made a face.

"Ah, right. I'm sorry Riley, I didn't find the right time to bring it up, given current circumstances."

"What exactly have you been told?"

"The school aren't accepting you back next term, they 'aplogized' for the unfortunate circumstances but say they can't afford to keep you onboard and other bullshit like that." He sighed sharply. "I tried my best to argue against it, but unfortunately they have legal rights to make that decision based on your attendance and grades."

"I see..."

I don't really have anything to say to that. That's just life isn't it, typical.

Ugh.

"We'll apply to other highschools in the area, but the nearest one is Caleb's private school which has a low acceptance rate. The nearest public school is three hours away by car."

"I cant afford to travel that much every day, also don't have a car." I chuckled.

"It's not really my area of expertise, but perhaps there's options for online school?"

"Yeah, probably..." I sighed. "Or maybe I could just, not."

"Not finish school?"

"Sure, I wasn't going to pass many subjects anyways."

"Riley..." Aaron looked at me in concern.

"It's best if we discuss this later. With fresh minds." Chance excused, before giving Aaron a look again.

Mature.

I looked up at Aaron to see his reaction, but he was just watching me and ignoring him.

I smiled at him before turning and leaving the room.

Caleb was sitting in the kitchen by himself and I walked up to him and sat on the barstool beside him.

"Hey." He smiled at me and I smiled back before glancing behind me to check on Aaron. Thankfully he'd followed behind me and was currently staring at the cupboards like he was contemplating making something.

"What are you sitting in here for?" I wondered and Caleb shrugged.

"Helps to change location sometimes, I'm just revising." He looked down at the papers in front of him. "Also means I don't have far to go to get a snack."

Ugh, revising...

I really fail as a human being.

"How about I make you some dinner so you don't have to worry about that?" Aaron suggested and Caleb smiled, his eyes lighting up.