4

I smiled in response and Chance grunted, seemingly fed up of his little brother. And I mean really little compared to him age wise. How old is this guy? Mid twenties at least!

Well I have seen age gaps in siblings like that before so it's not that bizarre.

"Well, as long as you know your way around I don't need to bother you Riley, see you later." Chance said before talking back into the phone and going back into the office he came from.

"Ha! Yes! You scared him enough to keep him in his office! You're very useful Riles!" Alex cheered as he lounged and I rolled my eyes. Not another nickname.

-

I sighed as I looked out into the woods. I was leaning against the balcony railing and looking for Anatara - still no sign of her.

The sky was overcast and the landscape was filled in an eerie silence as the evening drew in. The house seemed quieter now, and there were only a few cars left as well as a motorcycle carelessly dumped at the side of the mansion.

I looked down below the balcony and noticed there was a vent going down from just above my head to just before the ground. I walked over to the side of the balcony and saw there was a medium sized gap between the vent and the side of it. Perfect.

I smirked and grinned before jumping over the railing and quickly climbing down the vent while using the side of the balcony for support. I jumped down a few metres from the ground and only a slight pain travelled through my ankles.

I walked slightly into the woods before whistling.

Nothing, and I frowned before whistling again.

There was a large commotion and flapping of wings before Ana appeared from the trees.

I smiled at her before letting her perch on my bare arm. She couldn't help but dig her razor sharp claws in every time, but I could never manage to get hold of a handler's glove.

I wasn't supposed to have her, legally, so I was trying to keep her as secret as I could for now.

"That was not was I was expecting to see." A deep voice made me jump and I turned to see the red haired brother smiling at me. What was his name...Aaron?

"Oh, I'm sorry...uh. She's independent, so I didn't think it'd be any trouble." I bit my lip awkwardly and he shook his head.

"I'm sure it's fine. I'm just glad you weren't running away or something."

"Is that why you followed me?" I smiled.

"I told myself not to treat you like my younger brothers, but I guess I still have the instinct." He smirked to himself. I'm guessing it was an inside joke, because I didn't really understand what he meant by that.

Ana tilted her head at me before flying off when I lifted my arm. I always worry about her when I move locations. But she seems to like it here, it's certainly more rural of a place than we've been before...

So many trees... I'm so used to cramped flats and busy cities.

"You're much more polite than I assumed you'd be, sorry about that." He suddenly said when I smiled shyly at him. I frowned at his blunt honesty.

"Why's that?"

"You never came to the wedding, and your mother certainly seemed used to glamour. I assumed you were being salty."

"Oh, right." Well the real reason I can't just say to him without exposing my mother. I used to go to her weddings to be polite, but she has so many of them, I can't keep up.