Temple Run IRL Part 1

Michael's POV

"Got it."

I finally beat that damn score, my fingers started to ache from having to react so quickly by the end there. I took a screen shot on my phone, proud of my 2.2 million points and posted it under her previous score, having vowed to beat it as the competition started to get intense.

"Feels good to finally top your score, damn that was annoying."

For the past few days, Freya and I had an unspoken war when it came to this game. She originally posted her score and wanted to beat it, calling it an embarrassing score but the people came rushing in, posting their own scores or encouraging words but I had another plan in mind. I needed to beat it, a game I hadn't played in years that was still relatively the same. What I didn't realize, was that it would kick start a little war, an unspoken battle of the reactions. For a week we went back and forth, one upping each other with updated high scores as one tried to out play the other. Vying for dominance in the game.

"Let's see how long it takes to beat that score, she thinks she's good but I'm better, evident by the higher score." I stated proudly, sure I was able to beat her anyway.

"What if she comes back and beats you again? This is getting out of hand Michael, I mean surely there is a better way to end such trivial bullshit with someone you have never even met?"

I turned to face my friend Kaila as she spoke in earnest, begging me to stop this so I could get on with my other work, or you know... My job. But no. I wouldn't let her win.

" I can't let her win, now it's personal."

I waited a few minutes before I felt the vibration in my hand, a notification that Freya had replied to me.

"She couldn't have beaten me already. Surely."

I quickly opened Twitter and checked her reply, lo and behold she had not only beaten my score, but topped me by a massive 1 million points... Give or take a few thousand.

"Let me know when you are ready to give in."

Ill bet any money she wrote that with a sly grin on her face. Confidence oozing from her.

"You two are getting out of hand and even we want this to end."

I looked at the tweet curiously for a moment before my phone vibrated again. Another message from the same person that replied to us.

"My name is Keith and I'm one of the Co CEO of Imangi Studio, the developers for Temple Run. This whole online fued thing going on between you two through our game is not what we had in mind and we would like it to end. The game has had a record download yet again three years later, because you two can't seem to let one pass the other. So I give you a proposition. I will give you both a week to prepare for a Temple Run style IRL challenge. In which the both of you will run the same course around the city of Manchester, and whoever wins will be the ultimate champion. If one turns up but the other does not, it will be considered a forfeit and the only attendee will be rewarded. We created this game for fun, not tk be the gateway to some online unspoken war."

I read the message and couldn't help but recoil a little at the amount of passive aggression in the message, but it also made me think about whether or not it was a genuine message of a challenge or if it was just a joke.

"Aren't you going to be in the city at the time anyway Michael? Why not just go and check it out while you are there and see if it's legit, and I'm sure she has more important shit to worry about than to turn up so regardless you win a prize."

Listening to Kaila as she spoke kind of ignited a winning urge inside me, a flame that had become an inferno in my mind, begging me to compete, begging me to win.

"Don't worry Kaila... I'm going, and I'm going to kick her ass."

A few days later, about an hour before it was scheduled, I still had the date, time and location fresh in my mind from a new message sent the next day. I was curious as to how this was going to work as I'm pretty sure there is no place in this city big enough to house this challenge... Or my ego right now but we don't need to discuss that. I decided, as I am in the city anyway, the check it out. A place I hadn't yet seen should be interesting, the best part of the trek, was the knowing thought that I could be the only one there. In which case I win.

"Oh for fuck sake."

I exaggerated and sighed as I turned to see the bad part of the trek, arriving to see not only these people I had been talking to over Twitter itself, but Freya getting ready and stretching while a crowd had started to form. What the hell is going on here? I thought it was just a 1v1. Not us two playing a game and everyone else watching.

"Alright this is legit, I get it, I'm still going to win."

I commented with a smile, I may not be the fittest person in the world, but the mental power to get through this was going to save me.

"We still have an hour Micky, if that is your real name."

She looked me down and laughed to herself as she spoke.

"This should be easy."

"Keep the banter to yourself Frey, I'm going to beat you and that's all that matters."

The two of us stared off and tried to intimidate the other. This was real, and oh God was the adrenaline pumping.

"Attention all, as both participants are early we shall start sooner, both entrants are now being fitted with a virtual reality headset and a specially designed 360 full body motion controller. This will allow them to not only see what they would find on the game. But also actually run. They can jump and slide as normal but the sliding can be a crouch, evident by the motion sensors inside the attached waist band. We will pause the game for ten seconds each minute until one simply can not run any longer. But, both runners will be side by side on the same course, there are no T paths, only one continuous course. But be warned, they will still be chased to increase the fear. When our team gives me the all clear and both participants are ready I will start the game. We can watch the race from their perspectives on the two screens behind me, or as an over head view on the middle screen... Now... Are you ready?"