Cleaning Up Part 1

Rob's POV

Seeing the recent job listing was a God send, I had been fired from my last job quite unfairly but I guess that's how the world goes round. I wasn't too fond of the place already anyway.

Rob: "I don't really have a choice."

I picked it up and put my call through, it's probably already been taken but I needed to take the chance.

????: "Hello?"

Rob: "Hi yeah, I saw the ad for the cleaning job online, I was just wondering if the position is still available or if it has been filled already?"

????: "Age and location?"

Rob: "22 and looking at the address, I'm ten minutes walk away."

????: "You are really close?"

Rob: "Yeah, It's another reason I'm hoping the job is still available."

????: "When are you available for an interview?"

Rob: "Wow OK uh I'm free anytime?"

Free for an interview? Dude this is a cleaning job, not asking me to work for NASA.

????: "Come down in twenty minutes and I will see how you fit compared to the others I've seen."

Rob: "I'll be there."

As I ended the call, I couldn't help but feel a little giddy and yet also scared at the same time, why would he need to host interviews for a cleaning job? I mean I'll take anything I can get but still... It feels like I don't really get a choice but to try. I picked up my wallet and the keys before heading out the door with my phone in hand. I could have probably changed into something a bit more, just a bit more. I only had on a plain Grey shirt with a pair of black sweat pants. I could have worn something else but it's a cleaning job, I need to wear something comfortable that I don't mind getting dirty. I wonder if this guy will agree? He sounded a bit rough over the phone.

As I made my way over, finally stopping in front of the large home, it made me wonder how many times I had passed this place without stopping to see it, it's incredible.

????: "Can I help you?"

Rob: "I'm here for the cleaning job. I called you ten minutes ago."

????: "I said twenty minutes."

Rob: "It's better to arrive early and make a good impression than to be late."

????: "Enthusiasm for a cleaning job?"

Rob: "Mate, not having food makes you take literally any job that is around."

????: "Right, come in my name's Jerome."

As Jerome stepped aside and pulled the door open, I walked ahead and found the home beautifully decorated with many Aesthetically pleasing pieces lining the hall and walls. As he led me through each room, explaining the job in detail... And It was a lot of detail, maybe he was OCD? I wonder why he would trust a random stranger to clean his home if he was this particular about his home, I really should have brought a note book.

Jerome: "Any questions?"

Rob: "With so many details about the job in conjunction with each room, Are you sure you want to trust a stranger with the cleaning of your home?"

Jerome: "Well it needs to be done, I haven't been able to clean because of work. I don't get enough time in the day so I had to put out the job listing and hope I got the right person."

Rob: "Very well."

Jerome: "In here you will find the laundry and all the equipment you will need. Gloves, cleaning shit, strainer for the mop..."

As he continued, I tried to remember the base details he said about his home and I found myself reciting most of them. Fucking go me.

Jerome: "When can you start?"

Rob: "Anytime you need me, What do you do for work if you can't even clean your home?"

Jerome: "Well... I can't tell you for your own safety. My name right now in this city is Jerome Aceti, that's all you need to know."

Rob: "Very well Mr Aceti."

Jerome: "If you want you can start now and I'll pay you tonight when I arrive home, If you leave for any reason before finishing every room just leave a note with your address and I'll make sure your payment is delivered."

That doesn't sound like a scam at all, but hey I can't exactly risk trying to find another job.

Rob: "Sure."

As he nodded his head, I stopped to actually look at him and he was alright I guess, I don't think I'd jump his bones but he is alright. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a few smaller things before heading out and following him into the hallway.

Jerome: "One last thing, Can you speak another language?"

Rob: "Oui, je parle aussi François."

Jerome: "That sounds French alright, OK well if anyone knocks on the door asking for me, you don't speak English alright?"

Rob: "Do I need to take out life insurance for this job?"

Jerome: "You shouldn't need to worry, I will make sure you are payed compensation if you feel unsafe."

Rob: "Yeah sure alright."

Jerome: "As I said, I will be home later tonight. I'll see you later maybe Rob. If the house clean and you still are here, feel free to play a game in the main lounge room, I know my friends enjoyed it so I assume you would as well."

Rob: "Yes sir."

Jerome: "God no, please don't call me that."