DO THE THING!

(Can we just acknowledge the fact that Lachlan actually looks really good with his hair hanging like that, or even flat like, yeah his spiked hair suits him way too well but damn... God fucking damn it the Australians fuck me up, and I bloody am one.)

Lachlan's POV

Seeing him standing by the boss's office door, just waiting for him like the good little boy he is kind of made me really happy but also really upset. We all knew his dad wasn't the best person in the world, and whenever he wanted something, he usually got it. I guess that's the plus side to having a father own his own multi million dollar company.

Preston: "Lachy Lachy Lachy look look look I got a new racing car."

I watched the young child as he half skipped and ran to my desk and put the little toy car on one side of my desk, and very carefully as to not crash into anything on my desk, He started making revving sounds with his mouth as he rode the car along the edge of my desk. I know he liked doing it so I cleared a small area of the other side of my desk and made sure to keep it clean so he would be able to play while he waited for his dad. Mr Minter wasn't a bad man, he just, has a lot going on right now. He locks himself in his office and works all day into the ungodly hours of the afternoon until we tell him to go home... Well I do anyway. I always make sure I'm the last to leave, and to make sure he follows.

Lachlan: "That's an awesome racing car Preston."

Seeing the light in his eyes as he smiled and giggled at me almost made me want to throw in the towel and get a child of my own. Being able to watch them grow up from a baby, going through the highs and the lows. Always being there for my child would make me so happy.

Preston: "You look sad Lachlan, Do you want to play with me? When I'm sad I like to play with my cars because it makes me happy."

Lachlan: "It's OK little plebston why don't I go get daddy and you guys can head home yeah? It's getting late here don't you think?"

Preston: "I think so. But the sun's still out and I get to play with you."

Seeing his smile become a little lopsided made me feel like shit now, but I'd never be able to tell him that.

Lachlan: "Come on mate let's go inside and see your dad OK?"

Preston: "OK..."

He sounded almost sad and I could probably guess it was because I was making him leave. I know he loves to play with me but his dad shouldn't be here while he has him. He says he's trying to not make it obvious but you can see it in the dark circles under Mr Minters eyes that he almost doesn't care. He's been fighting this fight for so long, I feel like even though Preston is only 6 and has no idea what's actually going on? I know he can tell His dad isn't happy right now.

Lachlan: "Come on mate."

Grabbing hold of Preston's small hand in my own, he picked up his car and walked with me over to his father's door again, I knocked rather hard before hearing him call out to enter. As I opened the door, I could see him with his head in his hands. He looked up at me and just sighed. Turning his faze to Preston as he smiled slightly, but it wasn't the same now. He was tired, so fucking tired.

Lachlan: "Sir, I believe this little one should be going home, don't you agree?"

Simon: "Lachlan please I have so much to do here."

I could almost feel Preston starting to get upset, so I pushed it.

Lachlan: "That may be true but you can work on it tomorrow or the day after, when was the last time you actually slept sir?"