New Dad

Begining of book 1:

New Zealand's POV:

I was sitting in the living room playing with my toy battleship while my Dad, Netherlands, was talking to another country in the kitchen. The other country was tall and wore a professional suit. He would come over often. He seemed nice, when he looked at me he would smile. But today they were signing papers and talking about me. Dad told me not to interrupt him while they were talking.

My tummy grumbled. I was hungry. The kitchen was occupied and I didn't know what to do about my empty stomach. So, I just sat there looking at my toy ship. It was a small metal replica of a battleship I had seen in the newspaper. It was the only thing Netherlands bought for me.

"Alright, I will go get him." I heard Netherlands voice and felt a shudder go down my spine as it had done some many times before. I could hear him getting up from the kitchen table and walking into the living room. I ran to my room and closed the door out of instinct. I didn't like Dad. Although he is usually calm he could get angry easily, so I avoid him as much as possible. 

The door slammed closed and I could hear Dad yelling at me angrily. He was outside my door now and knocked hard against it. I was hiding under the bed as the door opened. Dad got down on his knees at the bed and started reaching for me. He got hold of my wrist and pulled me out from underneath the bed.

"You will behave yourself, do you understand. This is my chance to get rid of you." His voice was harsh. I wanted to cry. He called me a baby and pulled me into the kitchen where the country in the suit was sitting. He looked intimidating up close.

"He is all yours." Netherlands finally said, letting go of my wrist.

"Thank you, Netherlands." The other country spoke in a posh accent and then looked at me.

"Hello young man. My name is UK, I am your new father, so you can address me as such,". I was nervous so I just nodded my head silently. 

"Good. Now go get you stuff, we shall leave as soon as you are ready.". Once again I nodded my head and walked over to my battleship and picked it up. It was the only thing I owned besides the clothes I was wearing and a small photo of my sister and I. UK seemed surprised when I came back only holding my battleship and a photo. Before we walked out the door he studied my face. My flag was the flag of the United Tribes.

🡩 This is the flag New Zealand is referring too; The United Tribes Flag 🡩

"May I try something?" UK asked. I didn't say anything before he held my hands in his. I watched as my arms and legs turned blue. 

"There you go, much better," He said looking pleased. What did he do to me?

Before we left, Netherlands handed me a small box of pigment. I rubbed my arms self-consciously, but still took the box and put it in my pocket. I then turned back to face UK. 

He took me by the wrist and walked me out the door. I looked back to see if Dad was still there. Nope. He was probably smoking, I thought to myself as UK helped me into his car. The back seat of the car was comfortable, unlike the ride.

UK's POV:

New Zealand was very quiet, he just didn't seem to want to speak. Netherlands said he could speak English, he seemed to understand it well enough. I was told he was a bit of a troubled child but the boy doesn't seem so bad. I tried talking to him in the car about the photo and his little battleship, but he didn't say a word. Maybe his new brothers will get him to talk.

The sun was going down as I pull into the driveway. New Zealand had fallen asleep on the way home, so I carried him into the house. It was a two-story house with enough room for a big family. My other sons must have been asleep because the house was dark. I made my way to my room and laid New Zealand down on the mattress I had set up for him before hand. I put a blue blanket over him and watched the little boy sleep for a while when I remembered his stuff was still in the car.

I walk outside to the car and unlock it. There on the seat was his toy battleship and a photo. The photo was of a little girl and boy who look identical with their matching red, white and black flag. On the back, there were two unfamiliar words: kotahi ra (one day). Definitely not English. I put the photo and the battleship in my pocket and enter the house again. I closed the door a little too loudly because I must have scared someone in the kitchen.

I walked towards the kitchen to see my son, Canada, pouring himself a glass of milk.

"What are doing?" I asked him.

"I was thirsty so I thought I would have some milk" Canada explained, "Dad, why were you out so late?"

"I was picking up your new brother"

"Eh! I have a new brother?!" even in the dark, I could see the excitement in his eyes "Can I see him now?"

"Sorry, but no. He is sleeping, as should you be. You will see him in the morning. Now, off to bed"

"Yes, Dad".

I sat down and looked at the picture a little more closely. The two kids in the picture must have been siblings. Now that I think about it, New Zealand didn't freak out when I changed his flag like most countries do. He was used to it or at least experienced it before. I will hold on to the photo for now. I put the picture in a draw nearby and then looked at the battleship. A small replica of a battle-cruiser with the words: 'Te Waimarie', written on the side (lucky ship). It would make a great defence ship.

I was over-looking New Zealand's battleship for too long, I was beginning to fall asleep. I only had enough energy to get to my bed before I fell asleep. So I did.