Alone

America's POV:

When Nada left I backed into the wall and slid down. I looked at my bandaged arms. I felt bittersweet. I couldn't believe I really cut myself. I looked over at the sink in which I cut my wrists over. I stood up and walked over to it to clean up the blood.

I turned on the sink and watched the drips of blood spiral down the drain. It was a depressing sight but I couldn't cry. I was emotionally exhausted. When all the blood had washed away I looked in the mirror. My eye looked badly bruised. It hurt a lot.

I went back to my room. Everyone was downstairs at this point so no one could see my miserable state. In my room, I put on my black t-shirt, cargo pants and aviators jacket to cover the bandages.

I touched my eye lightly to see how it was feeling. It stung badly. I grabbed my shades that were sitting on my bedside table. While I put them on, I looked at the little framed picture that sat next to my lava lamp on my bedside table.

It was a picture of Canada and me before Aussie and New Zealand came along. Even then, our smiles were fake. When was the last time we were ever truly happy? I picked up the photo and sat down on my bed.

"One day, I will be independent and I will look after my brothers on my own terms," I said to myself. I knew it was unlikely, but it has been my only goal since the first time Dad snapped. He wouldn't let us become our own country though. 

I put the picture down and went downstairs to eat something. But as I walked into the kitchen I heard Dad call for Canada in a bone-chilling tone. I knew that tone way too well to know what Dad was doing. I had a sigh of relief when I heard Dad call it off.

I grabbed something from the fridge and went to sit down at the table. As I pulled in my chair, I heard a painful yelp come from under the table. I looked under to see Aussie.

"Careful!" He shouted.

"What are you even doing under there?" I asked. That seemed to be his favorite place.

"I'm taking care of Red's babies, they could hatch any day now!" He said excitedly.

"Red? What?" I asked. My biggest mistake was sliding under the table to see what he was talking about. I saw spider eggs. A lot of them. I jumped in surprise and banged my head on the table. Aussie kicked me out from under the table for disturbing

I left the kitchen and vowed never to sit at that table again. I sat in the lounge quietly finishing my breakfast. I saw New Zealand walk out of Dad's office with Dad behind him. I knew what happened in there. New Zealand wasn't going to say anything, especially after what Dad likely said.

New Zealand sat down next to me and sighed. I wanted to comfort him, but I didn't know how. He was in the same situation as me and it was never good.

New Zealand's POV:

How could he do that? Why did he do that? None of this was fair. I sat down next to America. He looked kind of lonely. I didn't like him that much, but I could see a bruise that was trying to hide behind his sunglasses. It worked, but not well enough.

America then awkwardly patted my back. I looked at him confused.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I just-" He cut himself off with a sigh as if to calm himself down.

"Are you okay?" I asked him. America seemed a little jumpy and on edge. America looked at my sadly and took off his sunglasses to reveal his black eye. It matched mine, except mine was a little more faded than his.

His eyes looked just as dead as mine. I guess that is what happens when you live in this family. 

"No," He said simply. He knew there was no point in lying to me. I noticed a white bandage had come loose from under his jacket. I was going to ask but Ame already seemed uncomfortable. I patted him on the back just as awkwardly.

"He threatened you by harming Nada if you did anything wrong didn't he?" America said. I was kind of surprised. I really shouldn't have been surprised but everything made me feel uncomfortable and seemed unusual.

He must have noticed me looking at his arm because he covered his arm and tried to tuck the bandage into his sleeve. 

"Did UK hurt you as well?" I asked him.

"Uh, no, I slipped and cut my arm," He said. It seemed a little suspicious but I had a feeling that he didn't want me to know. We sat there quietly and awkwardly. I was angry. I didn't know what to do now.

I saw UK watching us from his office. I felt nervous and decided to go to my bedroom. I felt so stressed and nervous. I opened my door and sat down on the bed. I looked at Cloudy who was sitting on my bed. I hugged him.

Even his fluffy wool brought me no comfort. I was upset. I looked out the window. I was still open. I noticed a small piece of paper. I picked it up and read it. I sighed and walked and looked back out the window. I could see someone waving from the back of the garden, trying to get my attention.

I went back to close the door and I blocked it with a chair, so no one could get in. I looked back out of the window. It was Maori. She had gotten close enough for me to see her clearly. She waved for me to go down and meet her. I didn't want to.

I crumpled up the paper and threw it out the window. I then shut the window. I felt like I wanted to cry. I was angry. Why was everything making my life worse?

I don't like it here. I don't want to be anywhere with anyone. I just want to be alone.