Through the night

Australia's POV:

When I heard that New Zealand had come home, I was so worried. He was covered in bandaids and had a large graze down his face. He seemed angry and sad at the same time and I wanted to comfort him but he was taken straight to his room.

Through the night I could hear New Zealand sobbing quietly in his room. At about 11 o'clock and I couldn't handle it anymore. I needed to see him. I walked to his bedroom door and tried to open it but it was locked. Of course. I started thinking of many different ways to get to him. The window.

Having a something of a plan in mind, I wandered down the stairs as silently as possible. I made it to the back door when I started having regrets and fears.  For Kiwi, I thought. I walked out into the back garden and looked up at his window. It had been opened. But his window is on the second story. I looked around for something I could use to get up to the window, but the only thing I found was the gutter. I started climbing the gutter until I was at the same height as the window. The main problem now was that the window was about a metre and a half away from me. If I fell I would land in the rose bushes below. After rethinking everything I decided to jump for it.

I only just managed grabbed hold of the windowsill and pulled myself up. I fell through the open window and landed on the bed inside. Kiwi wasn't on the bed, but the floor. I looked at his surprised face. It was wet with tears. I slid off the bed and sat next to him. New Zealand didn't say a word, he just sat there looking at the small photo he had shown me. I noticed he was chained to the bed. traumatising flashbacks filled my head but, I pushed them aside to comfort my new brother.

"It's gonna be okay, Kiwi. I promise," I said hugging him.

"Don't make promises you can't keep," Kiwi said in a sad tone. I felt more than just sorry for him now. I continued to hug him tighter. 

"I miss her," he said staring at the picture "I-I just want to see her again" Tears started rolling down his face.

"You will see her again. You just need to wait" I said pulling Kiwi on to my lap. He sat there crying and hugging me as I tried to comfort him.

"I don't want to wait" He complained. "I promised her...tha-that I would come back".

New Zealand started to yawn and his wet, sad eyes grew heavy. Eventually, he fell asleep on my lap. I was very tired as well. And I fell asleep.

Canada's POV:

I had woken up early that morning to make pancakes for myself like I did every morning. I had only just gotten out the ingredients when dad walked into the kitchen and made himself some tea.

"Good morning, Canada. How was your night?" He asked as the kettle boiled. My night was terrible. I could hear New Zealand sobbing throughout the night and it kept me till late.

"It was alright" I lied.

"Good. Could you go wake up New Zealand for me," He said tossing me a set of keys. I nodded and went upstairs. On the way up I started playing and looking through the set of keys, trying to identify what keys were for what lock. One old rusty key, I knew to well.

I made it to New Zealand's door and knocked. I waited for a reply but there was only silence. So I unlocked with one of the small silver keys and opened the door.

"Good morning New Zea-" I stopped my words as soon as I saw the two of them sleeping.

Australia was sitting against the wall asleep while hugging New Zealand who was asleep in his lap hugging Aussie back. I didn't want to wake my little brothers yet so I went to get my phone. When I came back they were still asleep, so I took a photo. 

"Aussie's not gonna like you taking a photo of them sleeping" America startled me.

"Eh, It was only one photo," I said, trying to defend myself.

"Huh, what's goin' on?" Aussie slowly woke up and then snapped into reality.

"I knew it!" Ame snapped unhelpfully.

"Piss off, Diabetes" Aussie said angrily, "I swear if you tell dad about this-"

"Au-Aussie" New Zealand woke up.

"I didn't think you were the caring type Aussie," I said.

"Shut up. You're no better than burger breath!"

"Anyway, I need to take New Zealand down for breakfast" Australia stood up and walked up to me, looked me dead in the eyes and said:

"Don't even think about hurting him" Then he walked out the room. I wasn't planing on hurting. New Zealand was still sitting on the ground looking sleepy. I walked over to him and helped him up. I grabbed his hand and began to walk to towards the door.

"Ow," New Zealand pulled his hand out of mine and rubbed his wrist. I noticed the metal cuff.

"Oh sorry," I said looking at the keys again. I needed the rusty key, it matched the rusty, old cuffs. I undid the cuff around the bed and took him downstairs.

Aussie and Ame were already in the kitchen preparing breakfast and Dad was drinking what probably was his fifth cup of tea.

"New Zealand, come here," Dad said in a stern voice. He took the end of the chain from me and locked it to the chair next to him. New Zealand appeared frightened but he sat down next to Dad. I started making myself some pancakes again.

"I'm hungry," New Zealand said breaking the silence.

"What do you want to eat?" Aussie asked him. New Zealand didn't speak he just looked around the table for a bit a then pointed at the box of cereal in front of Australia. "You want Weet-Bix?"

"Mhmm" New Zealand nodded. Australia got him a bowl and spoon and pushed the milk and Weet-Bix over to New Zealand. 

I finished making my breakfast and sat down to eat. There was a knock at the door, and like every day, America went to answer it. It was probably France. She doesn't live with us but she comes over every morning to see us. She walked into the kitchen with Ame following closely behind her. 

"Good morning, dear." UK greeted her.

"Good morning" She responded. "How is our little escape artist doing?" France said sweetly. But New Zealand didn't respond he just sat in his chair eating his breakfast. France looked disappointed. "Anyway, England offered for us to join him for a picnic this afternoon"

"Why that sounds lovely," Dad said.

"Will Dad be there?" Aussie got excited.

"Yes, I believe they will all be there," France replied.

"Oh good. It has been a while since I have seen them all together" Dad said.