Watching

Australia's POV:

I sat in the kitchen by myself, feeling slight sorrow for Kiwi. He acted all bitter toward Netherlands. I know that Netherlands was his past dad and probably mistreated him, but he seemed to be an upgrade from UK. While I was in the kitchen, I decided I may as well get something else to eat while my little brother hid in our room.

I found some biscuits in the cupboard and helped myself to a handful of them before I heard a noise from behind me.

"What do you think you are doing?" Netherlands asked. I will not lie; he kind of scared me. I would have expected to hear him coming, but he was silent. He was smoking, which made me uncomfortable.

"I was hungry," I reasoned.

"You already had breakfast, and where is New Zealand? I told you to go wake him up," He asked.

"I did! He is eating breakfast in his room," I said. He looked down at me in an unapproving manor. He made me feel useless just by looking at me. He placed whatever he was smoking in the ashtray on the table.

"I will go get him myself," Netherlands said, walking off towards our bedroom.

A few seconds passed, and I heard a loud knock coming from where Netherlands had gone to.

"Get out here!" I heard him shout. I felt nervous. The thought that things could get better was slowly starting to fade. I ran over to my room and found Netherlands holding Kiwi by the wrist. Kiwi looked at me. He avoided eye-contact with me, but I could see Kiwi's anger towards Netherlands. I wanted to interrupt, but I wasn't sure how.

Kiwi snatched his hand away from Netherlands and tried to go back into his room. Netherlands put his foot in the door before Kiwi could slam the door.

"Leave me alone!" Kiwi shouted, abandoning the door and hiding under the bed.

"Stop being so difficult! Now get out here!!" Netherlands demanded, stomping into the room. I stood at the door, nervously. This must have been what Canada does, and he feels when he would watch us getting beaten.

I watched as Netherlands got on his knees and reached under the bed for Kiwi. When he had finally gotten ahold of Kiwi, he pulled him out. Netherlands made him stand up. I could feel the tension between the two of them. Something must have happened.

"Tukua ahau!" Kiwi said in his strange language (Let me go!).

"I didn't teach you English just for you not to use it,"

"Pai atu ahau kia mate." Kiwi muttered, crossing his arms angrily (I would rather die.). Netherlands let out an enormous sigh and grabbed Kiwi's wrist again, dragging him out of the room. I stood aside and followed them into the lounge. Neth didn't let go of Kiwi, he just sat down on the couch.

"Now that you are done, we will go out this afternoon and you will behave," Neth explained.

Canada's POV:

I sat in my new room on the floor against the wall. I didn't feel like speaking. I just felt empty and alone. I knew that Mom had to go to work, and I had overheard her on the phone to what seemed to be Spain. The idea of hanging out with America seemed better than being left home alone, but the plan didn't seem to work.

Mom hung up the phone. I heard her footsteps approach my door and the knocking that followed. I was having a little trouble speaking, so when I opened my mouth nothing came out. She opened the door anyway. She gave me a sympathetic smile and sat down next to me on the floor.

"Hey sweetie, are you okay?" She asked. I shook my head, knowing I couldn't hide anything from her. I started crying. She wrapped her arms around me and rubbed my back. It made me feel a little better.

"It's okay, I know this must be difficult for you, but I'm here if you ever need to talk," She said in a soft sympathetic tone. I nodded my head as more tears rolled down my cheek and dripped onto the floor. Mom stopped hugging me and wiped away my tears.

"Would you like me to stay home from work tomorrow?" She asked. She had to go to work. I didn't want her to worry about me, let alone let me impede what was important to her.

"No, you go to work, I-I will be fi-fine," I stuttered, fiddling with my fingers.

"Are you sure?" She asked. I nodded to confirm.

"Well, okay, we can get dinner out tonight," She smiled.

"Really?" I brightened up a bit.

"Yeah sure, where would you like to go?" She asked.

I had a weird feeling come over me as I thought about all the places I could eat at. Only one thing stood out to me. McDonald's. Really brain? Why? It seemed to be the only thing I really craved.

"McDonald's," I said, going with whatever went through my head.

"Out of all the places," Mom joked.

"Yeah, I just feel like eating there tonight," I explained.

"Okay, get dressed into something that isn't covered in tears and we will leave in half an hour," She said before leaving my room.

It was a good plan. I continued sitting on the floor, thinking about why I chose McDonald's. That was the kind of thing America would go to. I got off my sorry butt and picked out some nicer clothes.

I pulled on a black t-shirt and pulled on my favorite red flannel. I was already starting to feel better. I hope that the others were going okay. New Zealand and Australia were lucky that they got to stay together.

I wish that Dad would have just changed so we wouldn't have had to be split up. I'm not sure why Dad did all that stuff. I always got the feeling that I did something wrong. I know I was never the bravest kid, but I feel like I could have done more.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah!"