Quietly

Canada's POV:

I can't take this. I don't like being kept inside. I don't have my brothers or my laptop to distract me. If I didn't leave soon, I would get depressed. So that's why I planned to escape.

I waited till I was sure that Mom had fallen asleep. I would be back before morning. I just needed to get out of the house. I made sure to make it look like I was still in bed with some well-placed pillows. This isn't the first time I've done this. I always hated staying inside, especially with Dad.

I grabbed the keys that sat on the table and carefully unlocked the front door. I shut the door quietly behind me and locked it. Once I was finally outside, I looked up at the night sky and smiled to myself tiredly.

I thought to myself, wondering what I should do. I had the entire night to myself. All by myself. Even though I didn't like being alone, it was always better than what was waiting for me at home. But I don't have to be alone.

Ukraine is always looking for excuses to leave his house. I was sure I could wake him and we could spend the night together. His house wasn't too far away, and with living with Mom, his house is even closer.

I started walking through the dark towards his home. I was still anxious whenever visiting him, but we always had a good time.

I generally have pretty good eyesight in the dark, but I still manage to trip over sticks and bump into poles. Who even puts them there!?

As I was walking, I noticed a familiar voice. I turned my head to see who it was. I couldn't tell though as the light was silhouetting whoever was there. I could see the outline of two people. Someone younger and someone older.

I thought about going up to them and talking, but they seemed busy. For a short moment, I thought I heard them talking about murder. I had better not get involved.

I eventually made it to Ukraine's house. It was quiet, but not dark. I could see that a few of the lights were still on, so I had to be careful.

I found my way to Ukraine's window. I knew that he shared a room with Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan knew about what we were doing but didn't really care. I looked through the window only to see Kazakhstan sitting on his bed. Ukraine wasn't there. So, I knocked on their window in hopes to gain Kazakhstan's attention.

It worked. Kazakhstan came to the window and opened it slightly.

"Canada, now is not a good time. Ukraine is in trouble with Papa," He explained.

"In trouble? What happened?" I asked, concerned for my best friend.

"He took some bread from the fridge," Kazakhstan said. I wasn't entirely sure what their situation was like, but I knew that their dad was far more brutal for the most minimal things.

I was about to say something more, but suddenly the door opened and Ukraine ran inside, slamming it behind him. He stood there, blocking the door. He appeared to be bleeding from the mouth.

UK's POV:

I waited for a while. I knew someone would come for her, eventually. I couldn't have them succeeding though. I could see out of the corners of my eyes, someone watching me through the window. I could see when they left as well.

I stood up quickly and put my newspaper down. I picked up the loaded musket that sat behind the curtain. I looked out the window to see two of them. They looked very young. The two were looking into the vent access to the cellar. They have already found her.

"This will be fun," I whispered to myself as I slowly opened the door. I crept out quietly. I noticed the little one had walked off, probably to find a way in. The little one would be easy to catch, so I followed.

The little one wandered around the house, completely unaware of me. Good.

Once the kid stopped walking, she turned around and saw me. But she didn't seem afraid. Stupidly brave like all the others. She would be perfect for war.

"Hello little one," I smiled. She walked up to me and I could see her face.

"Little Tuvalu, last time I saw you, you were a helpless baby," I said as I grabbed her hand. She still didn't seem frightened in the slightest. She didn't struggle in my grip. She maintained eye-contact and a poker face that was almost impossible to read.

"You talk little, don't you," I muttered. She said nothing. I stood up and took her by the hand to the back door. I unlocked it and pushed her inside. As soon as I let go of her, she ran off. I was half expecting her to run to the cellar, but she didn't.

I followed her into the kitchen where she wielded a serrated kitchen knife. She was obviously angry now.

I just laughed and aimed my musket at her. She stood there unfazed.

"Come on, kiddo, you will not win this," I laughed as I walked towards, with the musket still aimed.

Suddenly, she charged at me with the knife, but instead of stabbing me, she reached for the gun and dropped the knife. She didn't get the gun, but she knocked it out of my hands.

Tuvalu dived from the musket while I ducked down and grabbed her knife. She was still picking up the musket when I turned around, so while I had the chance, I stabbed her in the back of her shoulder. She screamed in pain as I pulled the knife back out and stabbed her again. She tried to turn around, but that only caused her to score her in the collarbone.

She stopped and laid on the floor, bleeding and crying. I watched as he gripped her stab wounds.

"Welcome to war, kid. Toughen up," I smiled. She looked up at me, and even though she was crying, she stood up weakly. Her courage impressed me.