Sharp things

America's POV:

I walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge while I was half-listening to make sure Aussie was still okay. I heard nothing for a while, but when I heard a door creaking. I felt goosebumps creep onto my arms. I waited for slurred shouting, but it never came.

I peaked around the corner and saw Dad's office door open. I didn't see Aussie anymore, though. I started panicking quietly. I listened in carefully, hoping I could hear something reassuring. I heard nothing. I scampered back to the fridge and grabbed something to eat and then ran back.

I couldn't see anyone. Where did Aussie go? I felt worried for him. I peaked into the office, I couldn't see much, the lights were dull. I felt uneasy. Dad had never caught Aussie while he was snooping, so I didn't know what he would do. I just knew that he was drunk and it couldn't end well for Aussie.

I heard subdued mumbling. Aussie was obviously in the room. I couldn't hear what he said, but I turned around to leave, to get a weapon or something. I knew I couldn't take Dad on if I was still in there without a weapon.

As I turned a frigid hand rest on my shoulder and I freaked out. I twisted around slowly to see the frightening drunken smile Dad would give us when we did something wrong. In his other arm, I saw Aussie. Dad held Aussie's mouth shut while Australia struggled.

"Spying now, are we?" Dad said drunkenly. His tone made me jumpy.

"N-no, we were just hungry," I said trying to think of an excuse. He didn't buy it.

"Well, France won't be coming over for another few days, so we have a little time to play with punishments," He said drunkenly. At that point, Aussie bit his hand, and I could get away from Dad.

I heard a loud thud as I ran into the kitchen to find something. I got anxious. It has been so long since he has lashed out like this. I found a kitchen knife and ran back to see Dad holding Aussie against the wall by his neck.

"Stop!" I shouted. I ran at Dad, but he avoided me. But at least he gave up on Aussie. I could pick up my brother gasping for air as he lay weakly on the ground. I held the blade at Dad, hoping it would scare him from hurting us. Aussie was only just starting to stand up when Dad kicked him hard in the stomach.

"STOP!" I screamed again as I tried to hit him with the knife. He caught the knife in his hands. He stopped hurting Aussie and pulled the dagger out of my hand. I could see the blood dripping down his arm. It intimidated me. He put the knife on his desk and rubbed his bloodied hand on his pants. He hit me across the face.

I stayed strong; I would not let him succeed. Aussie was getting up again and looked at me with his face full of pain and worry.

New Zealand's POV:

We stepped into the car, and Nada looked a little unwell. I asked him if he was okay, but he didn't say much. We drove to the hospital, and we got to sit in a room full of chairs. Canada called it a waiting room. Goes to prove how little I have seen.

Mum talked to the lady at the counter while Nada and I waited for her. She came back and sat down next to us. We waited until a lady gowned in white called Nada's name. Mum stood up, and Nada and I followed her lead.

We went into a cramped, white room and the lady told Canada to sit on the bed. Mum and I watched as another lady walked into the room and started removing his cast. It was so cool. They then took him to a different room where they would get an 'x-ray'. I thought that was a really cool name. X-ray.

Canada then got a new cast, and this time it was crimson red. They allowed me to be the first to write on it. I drew a smiley face. After I finished the drawing a lady started chatting to me. She asked me how old I was, and if I had been here before. I told her about my wrist, and she seemed a little concerned. I noticed Mum shaking her head at me, so I stopped talking.

The lady took me to a room where she said the word 'vaccine'. Mum and Nada were in the room with me. The lady made me sit on a chair while she went to get something. I waved at Nada who waved back and smiled. The lady came back into the room with a small tray.

"So your son hasn't been vaccinated before?" The lady asked Mum. Mum shook her head.

"How has it been since his tetanus infection?"

"Almost a year, but the doctors confirmed it is completely gone," Mum responded. The lady nodded and walked over to me. I looked over at the tray. They were not lollipops. I started shaking nervously. Those things look so sharp.

The lady told me to calm down and if I wanted to too, I could close my eyes until she was finished. I nodded and closed my eyes tightly. I felt scared. I felt the lady roll up my sleeve and then something sharp went into my arm. I jumped a little, but soon it was over.

"Only a couple more to go," The lady said in a soft tone. More? It hurt, why would I want more? I felt something hold my hand and squeeze it. I opened my eyes to see Canada holding my hand.

"Don't be scared, it won't last long," He smiled. I smiled back and then the second one went in. I closed my eyes again. At least it wasn't long before it was all over. I did get a lollipop though and so did Nada.