Family relations

New Zealand's POV:

It has been a couple of days since I cut my wrist. Australia won't leave me alone. I mean, I love him and all that brotherly relationship stuff, but, I don't need constant protection from him. But... It is nice having him around. It reminds me of when I used to look after my little brothers. My sister would usually help as well. 

This made me think about Fiji. My youngest sibling. Bit of a pain but, not to bad for the company. He never took anything to seriously and would often get in trouble. I saw him only the other night. I wonder if I will see him again. 

My thoughts were interrupted by a horrible pain in my neck which quickly went away. I had been feeling this kind of pain for a while now, and I hate it. But I must be brave. I don't think anyone has noticed my pain yet. Although, France has been getting suspicious of my current well-being.

After France left for the night, we all cleared our plates and cutlery. Canada offered to help clean up, while Australia and I went upstairs. I was halfway up the stairs when I started getting out of breath. Aussie noticed and stopped.

"Kiwi? Are you sure you're okay?" Aussie said for the twelfth time that day.

"Yeah, I am fine," I said as I tried to catch my breath.

"But you just walked up the stairs and you're sweating"

"I'm not very fit, okay," I said trying to be funny.

"Bullsh#t! Before you would run around the backyard chasing the footy without a sweat," He got me.

"I-I'm just tired," I tried to reason.

"Fine! If you are so tired go to bed. Here, I will even carry you" He turned around and kelt down motioning that I get on his back. I did and almost straight away he stood up and began running up the rest of the stairs. 

"Slow down" I laughed. Aussie didn't he just kept running until we made it to my bedroom. He dumped me on the bed and put the blankets over me. He turned the light off and walked out the door without saying anything. Strange. He would usually stay with me until I fell asleep.

I lay there in the dark comfort of my room. I felt hot so I kicked the blankets off. I rolled around on my bed uncomfortably. I started sweating again. What is happening to me?

I waited for a few minutes staring at the ceiling trying to relax. I looked at my wrist to see the not-so-neatly-wrapped bandage around my wrist. As I was looking at my wrist I heard my door open. Once again I was expecting Australia and once again it was UK. He walked into my room and sat on my bed. He was holding a thermometer. I knew this because the man at the hospital explained it to me when he was checking up on me.

"New Zealand, could you please open your mouth," He said softly. I obeyed and he put the thermometer under my tongue. He touched my forehead and quickly took his hand away. UK looked back at the thermometer and looked worried.

"It appears you have a fever," He said.

"Is that bad?" I asked.

"No. Not yet." He mumbled.

"What do you mean 'not yet'?"

"Don't worry New Zealand, just go to sleep,"

UK's POV:

After dinner, Canada helped me wash the dishes. We were halfway down when Australia came down the stairs without New Zealand. First time in a while. 

"Kiwi doesn't look so good, could you... I don't know... check on him?" Australia doesn't usually ask for anything but here we are. I decided to grab the thermometer to maybe check New Zealand's temperature.

"Sure, but I need you to help Canada finish drying the dishes," I said as I threw the teatowel at him. Australia caught it and mumbled a few curse words as he went to help Canada.

I walked up the stairs and reached New Zealand's room. I opened the door to see my son lying on the bed with the blankets kicked on to the floor. I just less than a second I saw New Zealand's eyes light up but they quickly faded to disappointment as I came closer to the bed. I sat on the bed next to him. He looked really hot.

 This was a good time to pull out the thermometer. I asked him to open his mouth so I could check his temperature. He did as I asked. I placed my hand on his forehead to try and feel the heat. I could feel the heat alright. If I had left my hand there any longer I am sure, it would have fired. I checked the thermometer to see '39 degrees' displayed on the screen.

This was a bad fever. Surely it would go away by the morning. right?

I told New Zealand to get some sleep. I left the room and went downstairs. Australia was under the table, again. And Canada was putting away the dishes. I pulled Australia out from under the table and sent Canada to bed.

"Well? Is he alright?" Australia asked.

"He has a high fever, so I need you to stay away from him until he gets better,"

"What! Surely it can't be that bad,"

"I'm afraid it is," I sighed, "Now, it is your turn to go to bed,"

"Fine," Australia moaned. I watched him walk upstairs.

After I was sure everyone was asleep, I went down to my office. I sat at my desk and looked around for some kind of paperwork to keep my mind off other things. As I was looking through a drawer I found a copy of a document. I pulled it out and read the title. 

Treaty of Waitangi.

It was practically New Zealand's adoption certificate. Before New Zealand came under my rule and Netherlands gave him away, I got New Zealand's sister to sign the treaty. I used to visit her for trading materials and promised her that I will give her twin brother back. Not yet, though. New Zealand is still of use to me. I just need him to get better.