Chapter 11

Chapter 11- Prison Breakout

You and Katara walked around the courtyard, trying to find Haru

"Katara? (Y/N)?" You both turned to see Haru.
"Hey, good to see you again boulder boy," You grinned as Katara hugged him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked you two.
"It was my fault you were captured, and (Y/N) and I came to rescue you," She explained.
"So, you got yourselves arrested?" He asked in slight disbelief.
"Wasn't my first time, but it was the only way to find you," You told him.

"You two got guts, I'll give you that. Come on, there's someone I want you to meet," Haru lead you to a man with other people.
"Katara, (Y/N), this is my father, Tyro. Dad, this is Katara and (Y/N)," He introduced.

"It's an honor to meet you," You both bowed to him.
"Have some dinner you two," He gave you bowls with some weird stuff in it. Katara stuck her tongue out at the sight as you bowed your head.
"It's not as bad as it looks," Katara took a sip and she gave a disgusted face.
"It's still pretty bad," Tyro chuckled. You shrugged and continued to eat, it's nothing different from what you usually eat.

"Tyro, the prisoners are complaining that they're aren't any blankets to go around," A prisoner said to him.
"I'll talk to the guards. In the meantime, make sure the elderly are taken care of. The rest of us will simply have to hope for warmer weather," Tyro sighed.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your escape plan?" Katara suddenly asked.
"Excuse me?" Tyro asked.
"You know, the plan to get everyone off the rig? What is it? Mutiny, sabotage?" She said, making you stop eating the soup.

"The plan? The plan is to survive, wait out this war, hope that one day some of us get back home and forget this ever happened," Tyro explained.
"How can you say that? You sound like you've already given up," She argued.

"It's because they have," You told her.
"Prisons like these are hard to ever escape, and people here, if you try to do anything you risk their lives." You said while looking around, seeing the miserable looks on their faces.
"Correct, the warden is a ruthless man and he won't stand for any rebellion. I'm sorry, but we're powerless," Tyro grimaced.

"Come on (Y/N), you escaped prisoner before, help us escape this one," Katara pleaded with you.
"Even if I do help, I don't just immediately escape once I get in. I stay low and map out the place and find any possible exits. And I doubt you'll be that patient," You slightly joked.

"We'll see about that," Katara then stood up and looked around.
"Earthbenders! You don't know me, but I know of you. Every child in my Water Tribe village was rocked to sleep with stories of the brave Earth Kingdom, and the courageous earthbenders who guard its borders." She started.

You looked up at her in awe.
"Some of you may think that the Fire Nation has made you powerless. Yes, they have taken away your ability to bend. But they can't take away your courage. And it is your courage they should truly fear! Because it runs deeper than any mine you've been forced to dig, any ocean that keeps you far from home!" Katara shouted.

"It is the strength of your hearts that make you who you are. Hearts that will remain unbroken when all rock and stone has eroded away. The time to fight back is now! I can tell you the Avatar has returned! So remember your courage Earthbenders, let us fight for our freedom!" She finished her speech.

No one said anything, who made her feel dejected and sit back down. You patted her back and smiled at her.

"It's hard to convince people, but it's easier to stay low,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was night and you and Katara were sleeping next to each other, when you felt a hand on your shoulder. You woke up to see Aang pressing a finger to his lips. You woke up Katara and you three were led to the perimeter where Sokka was with Appa.

"Your twelve hours are up, where's Haru? We've gotta get outta here!" Sokka whispered yelled.
"I can't," Katara said as you looked around to make sure no one was near.
"We don't have much time. There are guards everywhere," Sokka tried to convince her. You looked back at them and took a step back.

"What's wrong you two?" Aang asked concerned.
"This prison is no different from any other I was in, which means I'm not leaving these people behind," You said with a determined look.
"(Y/N) is right. We're not giving up on these people," Katara said.

"What do you mean you're not leaving?" Sokka asked in disbelief.
"We can't abandon these people! There has to be a way to help them," She said.
"She's right, what do you say Sokka?" Aang said looking at the water tribe boy.

"I said you're all crazy!" He glared at you guys. A beam of light almost hit you guys, and you ducked.
"Last chance, we need to leave now," Sokka said.
"Not happening Boomerang," You shook your head, making him groan.
"Fine, we better hide then," He gave in, and you four ran hidden in the shadows as Twig hopped on your shoulder.

You all hid behind some boxes and you peaked out to see the coast was clear.
"We don't have much time. What are we gonna do?" Sokka asked.
"I wish I knew how to make a hurricane!" Aang whined, making you three look at him weirdly.

"The warden would run away and we'd steal his keys," Aang smiled.
"Wouldn't he just take his keys with him?" You said bluntly.
"I'm just tossing ideas around." He shrugged.

"I tried talking the earthbenders into fighting back but, it didn't work. If there was just a way to help them help themselves." Katara wondered.

"For that they'd need some kind of earth, or some rock. Something they can bend." Sokka suggested.
"But this entire place is made of metal," Katara said while touching the ground.

"Well, they did take people from a coal mine village, so they had to take coal with them to cause smoke come out of the chimney." You explained while pointing at the smoke.
"That's great idea (Y/N)!" Aang smiled brightly, making you scratched your neck sheepishly.

"Come on now, let's start a jailbreak,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was now morning the the sun was rising. You, Katara, and Sokka were around the ventilation shaft.
"It's almost dawn. We're running out of time. You sure this is gonna work?" Katara asked Sokka.
"It should. These vents reminded me of our little trick back at the village. We're gonna do the same thing, but on a much bigger scale." Sokka explained.

"There's a huge deposit of coal at the base of the silo. And the whole system is ventilated. Aang closed off all the vents except one. When he does his airbending the coal only has one place to go, right back here." Once he finished, there was a shout.

"There's the intruder!"