Chapter 19

Chapter 19- Searching For Some History

"Woah... now this is cool," You breathed out, looking at all the books as you were holding onto the top with one arm, as your arm was still bandaged from the stab wound. Katara helped you down as Zei was looking around with excitement.
"My word! The exquisite mosaic handiwork of this tile-rendered avian symbol-..." Zei trailed off before coughing awkwardly.

"...Eh, nice owl," He sheepishly said, but then you all heard rustling behind you, so you all hid behind pillars. You peeled to see a giant owl, staring at the rope and turning his head backwards.
"I know you're back there," You shivered at the voice of the spirit who guards this library.

Zei then walked out of his hiding place and walked forward.
"Hello, I'm Professor Zei, head of anthropology at Ba Sing Se University," He introduced himself.
"You should leave the way you came. Unless you want to become a stuffed head of anthropology," The spirit motioned to stuffed heads.

"Are you the spirit who brought this library to the physical world?" Sokka asked as you all walked away from the pillars.
"Indeed, I am Wan Shi Tong, "He Who Knows Ten Thousand Things." And you are obviously humans, which, by the way, are no longer permitted in my study," Wan Shi Tong explained.
"What do you have against humans?" You tilted your head.

"Hm! Humans only bother learning things to get the edge on other humans. Like that firebender who came to this place a few years ago, looking to destroy his enemy," For some reason, you know that Firebender was Zhao, which made you shiver and rub your arms gently.
'Now I know why Twig didn't like it here,' You thought.

"So... who are you trying to destroy?" Wan stared into your soul very closely, making you take a step back.
"Believe me, we're not like that," You breathed out, looking away.
"Then why have you come here?" He asked and tilted his head.

"Um... knowledge for knowledge's sake?" Sokka guessed and pushed you back.
"If you're going to lie to an all-knowing spirit being, you should at least put some effort into it," Wan said with an unimpressed tone.
"We're not lying, We're here with the Avatar, and he's the bridge between our worlds. He'll vouch for us," You said and motioned for Aang to come closer.

"Uh, yeah, I'll vouch. We will not abuse the knowledge in your library, good spirit. You have my word," Aang told the spirit and you all bowed.
"Hmm, very well. I'll let you peruse my vast collection on one condition. To prove your worth as scholars, you have to contribute some worthwhile knowledge," He explained.

"Please accept this tome as a donation to your library," Zei lifted his study tome.
"First edition, very nice," Wan nodded and took it.
"I have an authentic waterbending scroll," Katara handed him a scroll.
"Ooh, these illustrations are quite stylish," He took it as well.

"All I have to offer is the (L/N)'s recipe for spicy curry. Passed down for 24 generations," You hand him a scroll, and his nodded.
"Sounds delicious, I'll try it for dinner," He swiped the scroll and you took a step back.