Chapter 15

Chapter 15- Crescent Island

"You know, Appa ain't budging no matter how hard you pull," You called out to Aang as he tried to get Appa to move

"Please don't go Aang. The world can't afford to lose you to the Fire Nation. Neither can I," Katara pleaded for him not to go.

"But I have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what my vision means," Aang said as he stood up.
"I need to get to the Fire Temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today," He explained, jumping onto Appa.

Just as he was about to leave, you made a rock wall to prevent him from leaving as you three stood in front of him.
"We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation, Aang," Katara said sternly.
"Well, not alone at least," You smirked as Momo jumped on Aang's shoulder. Twig made a chirping noise as Appa kicked Sokka.

"Ew!" He groaned in disgust.
"It's a long journey to the Crescent Island. You'll have to fly fast to have any chance of making it before sundown. Good luck." The leader said as he gave you a small bag as you hopped onto Appa.

Aang tried to thank him, but he sternly made you guys go, and with that, you took off.

'Childhood home, here we come,'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You looked at the endless sky as Appa flew across the ocean.
"Come on boy, we've got a long way to go. Faster!" Aang said to the bison.
"Aang. We've got trouble!" Katara yelled as you spotted a Fire Nation ship under you.

"I can take a guess on who it is, and he's never happy. Go!" You shouted you saw a flame getting closer and closer.
"Fireball!" Katara yelled.
"I'm on it!" Aang said, and then a bad smell hit you, making you and Twig gag.
"We have to get out of Zuko's range, before he shoots another hot stinker at us!" Katara groaned.

"Can't you make Appa go any faster?" You asked looking at the ship.
"Yeah. But there's just one little problem." You sighed at the many Fire Nation ships blocking the way of the ocean.
"If we fly north, we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade! It's the only way," Aang yelled.

"There won't be any time!" You argued.
"This is exactly why I didn't want you to come! It's too dangerous!" Aang shook his head
"And that's exactly why we're here," Katara reassured him.
"Let's run this blockade!" Sokka said with confidence. You cheered as Appa made a fast motion towards the blockage.

Then a rain of fireballs were shot and aimed towards you all. Appa dodged all of them and all you could see was smoke. It exploded on Appa and hurt him, making you and the others pat the smoke down.

More fireballs and Appa made a stiff dodge, making Sokka fall off the ride.
"Sokka!!" Aang shouted as he lead his bison under the falling boy and you reached your arms out to grab him.
He grabbed your hand and you pulled him close as Appa headed straight towards the ship.

Just as another fireball was aimed at you guys, Aang jumped and Airbend kicked the fireball and made it explode. Appa flew above as the smoke settled and and pass the ships.
"We did it!" Aang cheered as you finally let the breath out you didn't know you were holding in.

"That... was awesome! Did you feel your heart pumping? Your nerves on edge? The full on fear you had?!" You said with excited eyes.
"That makes one of us," Sokka sighed as he collapsed on the saddle.

Appa flew above the ocean for who knows how long, and you were all tired out.
"There it is! The island where Roku's dragon took me," Aang said with a smile as Twig laid on top of your head. You can a crescent shaped island with a volcano near a small tower.

The bison landed near some rock walls as he laid down.
"Nice flying buddy," The Avatar petted his head.
"Aww, you must be tired," Katara said as she rubbed Appa's stomach.
"No! I'm good. Refreshed and ready to fight some firebenders!" Sokka shouted as he posed.

"I was talking to Appa," You snorted at her bluntness as Twig looked around.
"Well, I walk talking to Momo!" Sokka retorted, pointing at the Lemur.

"Come on lemur whisperer, let's find this tower,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You four crawled up a wall to peer over to the tower.
"I don't see any guards," Sokka mumbled.
"The Fire Nation must have abandoned the temple when Avatar Roku died," You guessed.
"It's almost sundown, we better hurry," Aang said as he slid down and you all followed to come inside.

You looked around the place, trying to be sneaky.
"Wait, I think I heard something," Sokka said as you all stopped to see five men standing behind you.
"We are the Fire Sages. Guardians of the temple of the Avatar." One of the men say.
"Great! I'm the Avatar," Aang have them a smile.

"We know," And with that, they sent fire towards you guys. Aang reflects the Fire with his airbending.
"I'll hold them off, run!" He yelled as you three did what he told you. You Twig was running next to you as you saw Aang again.
"Follow me!" You all ran with him.
"Do you know where you're going?" Sokka asked him.
"Nope," You groaned as you then saw Aang turn the other way.

"Come back!" You heard one of the sages say. You didn't stop running until Aang hit a dead end.
"I don't want to fight you, I am a friend," The sage reassured you guys.
"Firebenders aren't our friends," Sokka growled, making you slightly cough at that statement.

The sage then got on his knees and bowed to you guys, making you confuse at his gesture.
"I know why you're here Avatar," He said.
"You do?" Aang questioned.
"Yes, you wish to speak to Avatar Roku. I can take you to him," The sage explained.

"How?" You asked cautiously. The sage turned a lamp connected to the wall and the wall opened, leading to a hidden stairway.
"This way," He said, then heard another voice.
"Find him," You froze at the familiar voice, and it's not one you want to meet again.

"Time is running out, this way,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Avatar Roku once called this temple his home. He formed these secret passages out of the magma," The sage known as Shyu said as you walked through.
"Did you know Avatar Roku?" Aang asked him.
"No. But my grandfather knew him. Many generations of Fire Sages guarded this Fire Temple long before me. We all have a strong spiritual connection to this place." Shyu explained.

"Is that how you knew Air boy was coming?" You asked as you felt the walls of cooled magma.
"A few weeks ago, an amazing thing occurred. The statue of Avatar Roku, its eyes began to glow," He said.
"That's when we were at the Air Temple. Avatar Roku's eyes were glowing there, too," Katara realized.

"At that moment, we knew you had returned to the world," Shyu smiled.
"If this is the Avatar's temple, why did the sages attack me?" Aang wondered.
"Things have changed. In the past, the sages were loyal only to the Avatar. When Roku died, the sages eagerly awaited for the next Avatar to return. But he never came," The sage sighed.

"They were waiting for me," Aang said with a saddened look.
"Hey don't feel bad. You're only a hundred years late!" Sokka joked, causing you to throw a rock at his head.

"They lost hope the Avatar would ever return. When Fire Lord Sozin began the War, my grandfather and the other sages were forced to follow him." Shyu mumbled.
"I never wanted to serve the Fire Lord. When I learned you were coming, I knew I would have to betray the other sages." You nodded at his words.

"You and me both buddy,"