Chapter 41

Chapter 41- Gliding and Discovery

Aang was very angry at the people destroying what was once his people's homes

Aang was very angry at the people destroying what was once his people's homes. You watched as he swept a machine down off the cliff in anger.
"Air boy, don't provoke them," You warned him as Aang still glared at the people.
"What are you doing? Who said you could be here?" He demanded.
"Hmm, doing here ... A long time ago, but not a hundred years, my people became refugees after a terrible flood." The mechanist start out.

"My infant son. Teo, was badly hurt and lost his mother. I needed somewhere to rebuild and I stumbled across this place. Couldn't believe it! Everywhere! Pictures of flying people! But empty, nobody home. Then, I came across these fan-like contraptions!" He explained as he flapped his arms slightly.

"Our glider," Aang said, but was still mad.
"Yes! Little, light flying machines! They gave me an idea. Build a new life for my son, in the air! Then everyone will be on equal ground! So to speak. We're just in the process of improving upon what's already here." You had to admit, these people did loose their home and some of their people, and you know what that feels like. Twig made a sad coping noise as you saw Sokka holding back the tears from the story.

"And, after all, isn't that what nature does?" He asked Aang, who simply walked next to him.
"Nature knows where to stop," He bluntly replied.
"I suppose that's true. Unfortunately, progress has a way of getting away from us." The mechanic then looked up at three candles and smiled.
"Look at the time! Come, The pulley system must be oiled before dark," He told the other workers.

"Wait, how can you tell the time from that thing? The notches all look the same." Sokka asked him.
"The candle will tell us. Watch," The candle suddenly sparked up four times, making you slightly jump at the sound.
"You put spark powder in the candle!" Sokka said impressed.

"Four flashes. So it's exactly four hours past mid-day. Or, as I call it: four o'candle," You snorted at Sokka's interest of the candles. The mechanist then kept on talking to Sokka as Twig snuggled up against your chest, making you wrap your arms around him.
"Hey, Aang. I want to show you something," Teo piped up and lead you, Aang, and Katara down a hall with pipes all over.

"I just can't get over it. There's not a single thing that's the same." Aang said sadly.
"I don't know about that. The temple might be different, but the creatures that live here are probably direct descendants of the ones who lived here a long time ago." Teo told you as he handed you a furry hermit crab.

"Aren't you cute?" You smiled, then grinned mischievously.
"Oh, and the hermit crab is cute too," That made Teo blush and look away. You chuckled at his reaction, not noticing the jealous glares of Katara and Aang.
"They're kind of keepers of the temple's origins." Katara piped up, trying to change the subject.

"Besides, there's one part of the temple that hasn't changed at all." Teo shook his blush away and lead you to a door that looked very familiar.
"Hey, it's the Air temple door that was from your home Air boy," You pointed out with a smile.
"Only an airbender can open it, so inside it's completely untouched. Just the way the monks left it. I've always wondered what it's like in there," Teo trailed off, making you look at Aang.