Chapter 16

Chapter 17- Betrayal? Or No?

"We'll follow these stairs to the sanctuary," Shyu told you guys as you went up stairs

"Once you're inside, wait for the light to hit Avatar Roku's statue. Only then will you be able to speak with him." He opened a hatch and you climbed up.

"No!" You heard Shyu shouted, distressed.
"What's up?" You asked him.
"The sanctuary doors, they're closed!" He said pointing at the closed doors. You locked on the door, and sure enough, it was sealed shut.
"Can't you just open them with firebending? Like you opened that other door?" Katara suggested.

"Or maybe (Y/N) can do it with her lavabending?" Sokka asked pointing at you.
"Woah there Boomerang, I'm still an Earthbender, it's not the same as Firebending. And besides, if only the Avatar can get this door to open, this door is made of tough metal that can withstand lava," You apologized.

"Only a fully realized Avatar is powerful enough to open this door alone. Otherwise, the sages must open this door together, with five simultaneous fire blasts." Shyu explained motioning to the dragon heads. You saw Sokka thinking of an idea, then he lit up.

"Five fire blasts, huh? I think I can help you out."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This is a little trick I picked up from my father. I seal the lamp oil inside an animal skin casing, Shyu lights the oil soaked twine and, ta-da! Fake firebending!" Sokka said proudly as he held up a sack filled with lamp oil.
"Nice plan Boomerang," You grinned grabbing the bag.

"This might actually work," Shyu said hopefully.
"The sages will hear the explosion, so as soon as they go off, you rush in," He said as Sokka got the bags inside the mouths of the dragon.
"It's almost sunset. Are you ready?" Katara asked Aang, making him nod.

Shyu thrusted his hand forward and Fire came and made the bags exploded. Twig hid in your arms as you saw smoke for a while then as it settled, you can still see Aang trying the door.
"They're still locked!" Aang said in surprised, thinking it would've worked.

"It didn't worked," Shyu sighed in defeat. You saw Aang get frustrated and started to cut the door with his Airbending.
"Why. Won't. It. Open?!" He shouted in anger.
"Air boy calm down," You grabbed his arm and pulled him back, feeling him relax his muscles and sigh.

"I'm sorry I put you through all of this for nothing," He mumbled while leaning against you.
"I don't get it. That firebending looked as strong as any firebending I've seen," Sokka said while dragging his finger against the smoked door.

Suddenly, Katara looked up.
"Sokka, you're a genius!" She said brightly, making you look at her confused.
"Wait. How is Sokka a genius? His plan didn't even work," Aang said as if it was obvious.
"Come on Aang. Let her dream," Sokka told him as he felt small pride at her words.

"You're right. Sokka's plan didn't work. But it looks like it did," Katara explained.
"I'm still not understanding on what you mean," You tilted your head.

"Did the definition of genius change over the last hundred years?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come quickly! The Avatar has entered the sanctuary!" You heard Shyu shout as you hid behind the pillars.
"How did he get in?" One of the sages asked.
"I don't know. But look at the scorch marks! And down there!" Shyu pointed at the scorched marks in the door.

"He's inside! Open the doors, immediately! Before he contacts Avatar Roku!" You saw Aang getting ready to run as the sages used their Firebending to open the door. Then, Momo appeared in the door, sneezing.

"It's the Avatar's lemur. He must have crawled through the pipes! We've been tricked!" The sage yelled, then Momo pounced on his face. You quickly ran and moved rocks from outside to cover one of the sage's arms and legs so he wouldn't Firebend. Twig also jumped on one of the sages as Sokka covered their faces.

"Now Aang!" Shyu said, but Aang didn't come out.
"Air boy?" You questioned, then he came out, but with someone holding him.
"The Avatar's coming with me," Your eyes widen at the sight of Zuko, making you distract at one of the sages holding your arms. Twig tried to attack him, but he was chased away.

"Close the doors! Quickly!" He commanded. You were pushed next to the siblings and chains were wrapped behind you. Aang then breaks free, spinning behind Zuko to send him down the stairs with an airbending blast.

"Go, air boy! It's your chance!" You shouted. He nodded and charged for the door, guarded by two sages. He leaps into the air to avoid the Great Fire Sage's fire punch. Aang bounces off his hands from each of the two sage's heads before sailing through the door just as it closes.

"Yes!" You cheered, as a blinding white light was seen and disappeared. Zuko quickly ran up the stairs and tried to get the door opened again.
"Why isn't it working? It's sealed shut!" He scowled.

"It must have been the light. Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside," The sage guessed.
"Aww, looks like you won't be able to get him Princey," You snickered, making him glare at you.
"Silence criminal!" He scowled at you, making you pout.

"Not nice to say that to your friend," You mumbled, hoping that Sokka and Katara didn't hear. But of course, they did.
"Friend? You were friends with Zuko?!" Sokka said in disbelief and betrayal on his face.

"Uhhh, can we talk about this later?" You asked.
"No of course not! You were friends with the enemy! How do we know if you're really our friend and not being a spy?!" Sokka shouted at you in anger, making you get irritated.

"Sokka please! Well do this later!" Katara tried to reason with him, then you three heard clapping.
"What a moving and heartfelt performance. I'm certain the Fire Lord will understand, when you explain why you betrayed him." Your eyes widen at a familiar voice and you moved the best you can to get away from him.

"Commander Zhao." The sages' bowed.
"And Prince Zuko. It was a noble effort, but your little smokescreen didn't work." He smirked, making Zuko growl lowly.
"Two traitors in one day, the Fire Lord will be pleased," He said with delight.

"And of course, the Delusional Bender. Oh how much you have grown since our last encounter, (Y/N)," Katara and Sokka looked at you as you shook with fear.
"You're too late, Zhao! The Avatar's inside and the doors are sealed." Zuko shouted, not liking the way the commander was talking to you.

"No matter. Sooner or later, he has to come out," Zhao smirked as you looked at the door where Aang was in.
"When those doors open, unleash all your firepower!" Zhao commanded the Helmsmen, before turning to you.

"Get the Delusional Bender as well and take her to the ship. She'll make lovely prize to the Fire Lord," You shook your head as you saw the Helmsmen coming towards you.
"What are you going to do to her?" Katara asked with anger in her tone.

"It won't matter to you, she'll either die in the hands of the Fire Lord, or in the hands of my own,"