Chapter 34

Chapter 34- An Old Friend

"Alright, you can take off your bandages now

"Alright, you can take off your bandages now. It seems there's no more bump," Katara said as you cheered.
"Woo! No more head injury! Now I can put on my bandana!" You excitedly said as you wrapped your dad's bandana on your head.
"That bandana is very important to you huh?" She asked, making you nod.

"Like I said before, it was my dad's," You told her, softly touching the symbol on the middle.
"I don't really know what that means, but nevertheless, I will always keep it for him," You smiled.
"He must've been a great man," She told you as you walked through the forest.
"He was, someone I will always hold in my heart," You said, looking down.

"Hey look! A sword made out of a whale's tooth." Aang shouted as you had your arms over your head, walking over.
"That's cool," You said looking at the weapon.
"Let me see that." Sokka said grabbing it and looking at it closely.
"This is a Water Tribe weapon. See if you can find anything else." He said to the two of you, nodding as you crouched down to find more things.

"Did someone lose something?" Katara asked walking up.
"No, we found something," You said as Sokka stood up with something.
"It's burned." He said and looked at a tree with sliced marks and burned marks.
"There was a battle! Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders. The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill." Sokka explained and ran down a hill to a beach.

"So, then what happened?" Aang asked him.
"Yeah, don't leave us hanging," You piped in as you were intrigued.
"I don't know. The trail ends here." Sokka sighed in disappointment.
"Look!" Katara said and pointed to a shored up ship.
"It's one of our boats!" Sokka exclaimed, running over as you three followed.

"Is it dad's boat?" Katara asked.
"No, but it's from his fleet." Sokka smiled happily.

"Dad was here,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nightfalls, and you laid against Appa, eyes slowly closing as you watched Sokka look at the fire with a serious expression.
'Him and I both miss your fathers,' You thought moving a little to get more comfortable. He then stood up with his boomerang out.
"Who's there?" He shouted into the darkness, making you lift your head up to sense anyone. A man walked into view of the campfire, and he wore a familiar outfit like the siblings did.

"Sokka?" He asked, surprised to see him.
"Bato?" Sokka said in a same surprised tone. It caused the other two to wake up.
"Who the what now?" Aang mumbled while rubbing his eye.
"Bato!" Katara said with excitement and happiness as the two siblings got up to hug the man now named Bato.
"Sokka! Katara! It is so good to see you two. You've grown so much!" He said as he hugged them.

"Hi, I'm Aang," Aang said with a bow.
"And I'm (Y/N)," You did the same.
"Where's dad?" Sokka asked.
"Is he here?" Katara asked with both of them being hopeful.
"No, he and the other warriors should be in the Eastern Earth Kingdom by now. This is no place for a reunion. Let's get inside." Bato said as he led them off, him motioning you and Aang to follow.

You picked up a sleeping Twig and followed to a small village.
"After I was wounded, your father carried me to this abbey. The sisters have cared for me ever since." The man explained as he walked up to a woman.
"Superior, these are Hakoda's children. They've been traveling with the Avatar and a innocent fugitive. I found them by my boat." Bato said, not saying that you were the Delusional Bender. It felt nice for someone not to say that.

"Young Avatar, it gives me great joy to be in your presence. Welcome to our abbey." The superior greeted.
"Thank you, it's truly an honor to be here. If there's anything" he got cut off by Sokka.
"What smells so good, Bato?" He asked him.
"The sisters craft ointments and perfumes." Bato said motioning to the bottles on a table.

"Perfume? Maybe we can dump some on Appa, because he stinks so much. Am I right?" Sokka joked. You didn't even laugh as you didn't really get it.
"You have your father's wit." Bato sighed as you all walked inside Bato's home.

"Bato, it looks like home!" Katara smiled as you looked around.
"So cool," You said in wonder.
"Everything's here, even the pelts!" Sokka said as he felt the fur on the ground.
"Yeah, nothing's cozier than dead animal skins." Aang mumbled as he shivered. You patted his back as Momo and Twig looked at a bear's mouth, and got scared when it closed its mouth.

"No way! Stewed sea prunes!" Katara said in delight.
"Help yourself!" Bato smiled as you sat down with them.
"Dad could eat a whole barrel of these things!" Sokka laughed as Aang stuck his tongue out at the smell.
"Bato, is it true that you and dad lassoed an arctic hippo?" Katara asked excitedly.
"It was your father's idea, he just dragged me along. Well, the hippo did the dragging," Bato chuckled.

Twig tried the prunes, but he quickly spit it out.
"Hey, I ride animals, too! There was this one time when I rode a giant eel and I-" Aang tried to speak, but he got interrupted again.
"So, who was it that came up with the Great Blubber Fiasco?" Sokka asked him.
"You knew about that?" Bato laughed.

"Everybody does!" Katara laughed with him.
"What's that story?" You asked curiously.
"It's a long one Aang, some other time." Sokka waved you off. You shrugged and hugged Twig, knowing that they haven't seen Bato in a long time, so of course they want to talk to him some more.
"You and Dad had so many hilarious adventures." Katara smiled.

"Not all of which were hilarious at the time, but everything's funny in hindsight." Bato grinned, then looked up.
"Hey, Aang! Please put that down! it's ceremonial and very fragile," Bato said to Aang as he wore a animal hat.
"Was it you or Dad that put an octopus on your head and convinced Gran-Gran you were a water spirit?" Sokka asked as you saw Aang sit down and sulked.

"Your dad wore the octopus, but I did the spooky voice." Bato smirked, making a spooky voice. You sat down with the Avatar and leaned against the wall.
"There's something I should tell you kids. I'm expecting a message from your father." Bato told them.
"Really?"
"When?" The siblings asked.

"Any day now. Your father said he'd send a message when they found the rendezvous point. If you wait until the message arrives, you can come with me, and see your father again." Bato explained.
"It's been over two years since we've seen Dad. That would be so incredible, Katara!" Sokka said with excitement.
"I do really miss him, it would be great to see Dad." Katara smiled.
"It's been far too long, hasn't it? I'm not sure when word will arrive, but when it does-" You blocked out their conversation, as you closed your eyes and had your thoughts.

'Must be nice to still know your dad is still out there. Doing whatever he can to protect you and their people... oh dad,' You turned to your side and felt your bandana again.

'It was my fault you died,'
____________________________________
What's this? Fanart from me? ABOUT TIME!!

Dbskdvsj okay- so here's the fanart I made!

Stay healthy and stay tune!