Chapter 8

Chapter 8- Swamp Fever

'Dad... I'm so sorry... I really am...' You thought with guilt and sadness, leaning against the railing of Appa's saddle. With the bandana that belonged to your father, you had nothing to remember him by since you had nothing on you when you got exiled.

'I should've listened to you... you said it was too much...' You shook your head to prevent tears, and noticed that Appa was flying closely to a swamp.
"Hey, you taking us down for a reason?" You asked Aang, but he didn't answer, making you sit up and look over to see him lost in thought.

"Aang, why are we going down?" Sokka finally snapped him out, which caused the Avatar to jump.
"What? I didn't even notice," He mumbled, and Appa flew closer to the tree tops.
"Is something wrong?" Katara asked as Twig and Momo woke up from their naps.

"I know this is going to sound weird, but I think the swamp is calling to me," Aang told you three, making you tilt your head.
"Is it telling you where we can get something to eat?" Sokka asked while holding his stomach.
"No, I think it wants us to land there," He pointed to the trees.

"Even if they want you to, I don't see any openings to land," You said while searching for a clearing.
"I don't know. Bumi said to learn earthbending I would have to wait and listen, and now I'm actually hearing the earth. Do you want me to ignore it?" Aang explained.

The swamp was familiar to you, and you tried to remember where you you heard of it.
"I don't know, there's something ominous about that place," You mumbled, now feeling uneasy. Twig and Momo hid in the saddle, with Appa groaning anxiously.
"See, even Appa, Twig, and Momo don't like it here," Sokka said as he wanted to leave.

"Okay, since everyone feels so strongly about this, bye swamp," Aang sighed and led Appa to fly higher into the sky, but then Twig made you turn you head as you heard a loud rumbling behind you.
"You better throw in an extra "yip"! We gotta move!" You yelled as sudden tornado was coming towards you all fast.

Appa tried to fly further, but he was too slow as the tornado was basically next to you. Sokka yelled in fear as he was lifted up, but you grabbed onto his arm and tried to pull him back. Twig whimpered as he clutched onto your shirt, feeling yourself being pulled by the tornado.

Aang jumps up onto the saddle and creates an air shield around Appa, causing Sokka to fall back onto Appa. The tornado sucks Appa in, where Aang struggled to keep the air shield. He couldn't hold it longer as you all got lifted out of Appa's saddle, with a Twig gripping onto you tightly.

You four screamed as you were thrown out of the tornado, hitting and landing into the swamp. You felt the water hit you back as you got submerged into the lakes, quickly swimming up for air.
"Are you all okay?" You asked them, getting up with Twig covered in algae.

"Where's Appa and Momo?" Aang asked, and jumped up to call out for them. You turned to Sokka where he had something on him.
"Uhh, Boomerang? you've got an elbow leech," You simply said, making him freak out.