Chapter 38

Chapter 38- When Playing With Fire, You'll Get Your Fingers Burnt

You and the gaang all sat around a fire, with the man who saved you, now called Chey

"I serve a man. More than a man really, he's a myth, but he's real, a living legend, Jeong Jeong the Deserter. He was a Fire Nation general, or wait, was he an admiral?" Chey questioned himself.
"He was very highly ranked, we get it." Sokka said not amused of talking about Fire Nation soldiers.

"Yeah! Way up there! But he couldn't take the madness any more. He's the first person ever to leave the army, and live. I'm the second, but you don't get to be a legend for that. That's okay though. Jeong Jeong's a firebending genius. Some say he's mad, but he's not! He's enlightened." Chey admired. You tilted your head as you never heard of this man, and you knew every general, well, since it was because they tried to capture you.

"You mean there's a firebender out here who's not with the Fire Lord? We've gotta go see him! He can train me!" Aang stood up excitedly.
"We're not gonna go find some crazy firebender!" Sokka argued.
"He's not crazy! He's a genius! And he's the perfect person to train the Avatar! That's why I followed you into the festival." Chey defended the mysterious man.

"Look, thanks for the help, but we're leaving for the North Pole in the morning." Sokka said standing up.
"I gotta admit, we should get going, even I know this might end bad," You told them, making Sokka smile at you.
"Guys, this could be my only chance to meet a firebending master who would actually be willing to teach me." Aang pleaded.
"It can't hurt just to talk to him," Katara stated.

"That's what you said about going to the festival! Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?" Sokka groaned, the turn to leave, but a spear was right in his face. Men started to surround you all as you lifted  piece of the earth to fight them, but then Chey shouted.
"Wait! Don't!" He told you, making you confused.

"Huh?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jeong Jeong told you not to look for Avatar!" The leader glared at Chey.
"Hold on, you know these guys?" You asked them.
"Oh yeh! Lin Yee's an old buddy! Right, Lin Yee?" Chey smiled, but then Lin Yee pointed the spear at him.
"Shut up! Keep moving." Lin Yee yelled, as you all walked along the trail, stopping at a hill.

"Go on. He sees you only." Lin Yee pushed Chey.
"Oh that's okay, we can chat later." Chey scratched his neck.
"Is that where Jeong Jeong is? I need to talk to him right away." Aang urgently told him.
"No! You wait there. Go now!" Lin Yee scowled
"Don't worry! Everything'll be fine. He's a great man, great man!" Chey said as he walked towards the hut, all the while praising the man.

"What happened? Can I see Jeong Jeong now?" Aang said hopefully, but Chey shook his head.
"He won't see you. He's very angry that I brought you here. He wants you to leave immediately." He explained.
"Finally! Let's hit the road," Sokka sat up.
"Why won't he see me?" Aang asked him.
"He says you're not ready. Says you haven't mastered waterbending and earthbending yet." Chey said as Aang then look confused.

"Wait, how does he know that?" He asked.
"He saw the way you walked into camp. He could tell." Chey said, but the monk already looked displeased.
"I'm going in, anyway!" He declared, getting up and stomping out of the tent.
"Hey, don't feel too bad for not stopping him, everyone in this group is stubborn." You told Chey as Twig snuggled closer to you.

"Although, not as stubborn as Boomerang,"

"Hey!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If I manage to create lava out of rocks, maybe I can... make it part of my arms when attacking," You mumbled as you and the gaang were out and about. Sokka fishing and you and Katara practicing your bending, and Aang was with Jeong Jeong.
"Widen your stance. Wider! Bend your knees. Now, concentrate." He commanded as Aang stood there in place on a rock.

"Wait! What do I do now?" Aang asked as the Firebender walked away.
"Silence! Talking is not concentrating! Look at your friends, are they talking? Even that oaf knows to concentrate on what he's doing!" Jeong Jeong shouted.
"Hey!" Sokka yelled.
"Feel the heat of the sun. It is the greatest source of fire. Yet, it is in complete balance with nature!" He explained, motioning to the sun rising.

"So when do I get to make some fire?" Aang questioned as he started to walk off.
"Concentrate!" He shouted before leaving. You three started to laugh a little, making Aang turn around and you all looking away. You kinda felt bad for Aang, but if he doesn't know his limits to bending something dangerous, he'll hurt himself and others.

Like you said before; Lava is like fire, if you can't control it, it can damage things around it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours have passed, and Aang started to get annoyed at doing his concentrating. While you and the Water Tribe siblings were just vibing.
"Hey, water girl. You think you can hold Twig while I practice lavabending?" You asked Katara as you took Twig off your shoulder.
"Sure (Y/N)," She smiled as she held onto the Tiger Monkey. You took a step back and picked up a rock on the ground.

You saw Aang walking of of Jeong Jeong's tent and sitting down on his rock. He groaned a little bit as you decided to mold lava again.
"Hey water girl, do you mind if you hold onto Twig for a moment? I gotta try this bending move," You asked Katara as Twig cooed.
"Sure (Y/N), I would love to see you in action," She smiled at you, making you blush a little.

You started to touch the ground, and felt heat from under. The grass split opened and you lifted up the molten magma up into the air, moving it carefully as your figure was brighten by the light.
"So cool," Katara and Sokka said in awe. You then threw the lava at the opposite direction so it won't hurt the others. You released the air you held in as Jeong Jeong walked out of his tent.
"I thought about what you said, I promise I'll be more patient." Aang said while looking down.

"We're going to work with fire now." Jeong Jeong told him as the Avatar then got excited.
"Oh yeah!" He then stopped and cleared his throat.
"I mean, let us begin," He bowed. The Firebender grabbed a falling leave and smoldered it against his fingertips.
"Concentrate on the fire. I want you to keep the flame from reaching the edges of the leaf for as long as you can." He explained, and Aang groaned.

"Master, there is trouble!" A tribe man ran up to you guys in a panic.
"What's going on?" Aang said, wanting to fight.
"Concentrate on your leaf!" Jeong Jeong ordered him as the two men ran off.
" This is the worst firebending instruction ever! All he does is leave me for hours to concentrate or breathe!" He whined.

"Air is highly important when it comes to fire Air boy. Without oxygen, there's no fire. You're like fire yourself if you think about it," You explained as you stretched your legs.
"But I'm ready to do so much more." Aang argued, then positioned himself. You watched as he took a deep breath and closed his eyes. The leaf started to expand with smoke and suddenly, a burst of flames.

"I did it! I made fire!" Aang excitedly said as he held it in his hands. You smiled at his new bending, feeling proud for him.
"Aang, that's great, but you should take it slow." Katara said a little worried, Twig scooting closer into her arms. Aang then stumbled back and almost fell.
"Air boy you better be careful, remember what Jeong Jeong said," You warned him as you felt the overexcitement coming from him.

"Now that's some firebending!" He smiled as he shot fire from his fingers.
"Aang you'll hurt yourself!" Katara pleaded with him, and you noticed her holding onto Twig a little tighter.
"I wonder how that juggler did it." Aang mumbled, then spread his arms out, bringing fire with him, but it then hit everything around him, in which you covered your face with your arms.

You then heard Katara scream in pain and heard the cry of Twig. Your eyes widen as Katara clutched her hands and saw Twig, on the ground huddled into a ball.

"Katara!! Twig!!"