Chapter 13

Chapter 13- Into The Spirit World

You leaned your body against Appa's saddle, as you all flew into the air

"The clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land on a big, soft, cottony heap." Katara sighed.

"Maybe you should give it a try," Sokka joked, making you snort at his words.
"You're hilarious," She said sarcastically.
"I'll try it!" Aang smiled and jumped off of Appa. You three looked down below as Aang fell through the clouds, and then he flew behind you guys and landed back on Appa, soaking wet.

"Turns out, clouds are made of water," He said, using his Airbending to dry himself.
"Hey, what is that?" Katara said and you turned to too a black portion of the forest.
"It's like a scar," Sokka said. Appa landed near and you all walked in and looked around.

"Listen, it's so quiet," Sokka said. You touched the ground felt the dirt in your hands.
"So signs of life anywhere," You sighed as you let the first fly away from your hand.
"Aang, are you okay?" Katara asked the Avatar.
"Fire Nation! Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for-" Sokka scowled, and you elbowed him to be quiet, pointing at Aang.

Aang stood over a burnt log and fell to his knees.
"Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?" He asked with sadness.
"Air boy, this has nothing to do with you, it wasn't your fault," You tried to comfort him.
"Yes it was. It's the Avatar's job to protect nature. But I don't know how to do my job." He said.

"That's why we're going to the North Pole, to find you a teacher," Katara smiled.
"Yeah. A waterbending teacher. But there's no one who can teach me how to be the Avatar. Monk Gyatso said that Avatar Roku would help me." He sighed.

"The Avatar before you? He died over a hundred years ago; how are you supposed to talk to him?" Sokka asked as Momo laid in Aang's lap.

"I don't know," He sighed out. You sighed at his depressed stated and walked over.
"Hey, air boy, you ready to be cheered up?" You asked him.
"No," He mumbled, then he got hit by an acorn by Katara.
"Ow! Hey, how is that cheering me up?" He asked while rubbing his head.

"Cheered me up." Sokka laughed, then he got hit by an acorn.
"Ow! Yeah, I probably deserved that," Sokka grumbled. You caught the acorn that was about to be thrown at you and gave it to Twig.

"These acorns are everywhere, Aang. That means the forest will grow back! Every one of these will be a tall oak tree someday, and all the birds and animals that lived here will come back," Katara said with a smile. He thanked her, then you felt footsteps approaching.

"Hey old man," You waved, causing the others to look over and stand up.
"When I saw the flying bison, I thought it was impossible," The old man said walking to Aang.
"But, those markings ... are you the Avatar, child?" He asked him. Aang looked at you and Katara, and you just gave him thumbs up.

"My village desperately needs your help,"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You hugged Twig as you four were led into a somewhat destroyed village. You all walked inside the building in the center of the village.
"This young person is the Avatar," Kay-fon told the people in the building.
"So, the rumors of your return are true! It is the greatest honor of a lifetime to be in your presence." A man bowed.

"Nice to meet you too. So, is there something I can help you with?" Aang asked him.
"I'm not sure," The man sighed.
"Our village is in crisis, he's our only hope!" Kay-fon said.
"For the last few days at sunset, a spirit monster comes and attacks our village. He is Hei Bai, the black and white spirit." He explained.

"Why is he attacking you?" Sokka asked them.
"We do not know, but each of the last three nights, he has abducted one of our own. We are especially fearful because the winter solstice draws near," The village leader said.

"What happens then?" Katara asked next.
"As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the Spirit World grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely." Kay-fon explained.
"Hei Bai is already causing devastation and destruction. Once the solstice is here, there's no telling what will happen." The leader continued.

"So, what exactly do you want air boy to do?" You wondered.
"Who better to resolve a crisis between our world and the Spirit World than the Avatar himself? You are the great bridge between man and spirits." Kay-fon told him.
"Right... that's me?" Aang said, unsure about it.

"Hey great bridge guy, could I talk to you over here for a second?" Katara said while grabbing Aang.
"Aang, you seem a little unsure about all of this." He told him.
"Yeah, and you're usually willing to do crazy things," You crossed your arms.

"Yeah, that might be because I don't know anything at all about the Spirit World. It's not like there's someone to teach me this stuff," Aang said with his arms raised.
"So, can you help these people or not?" You asked, making Sokka elbow you in the gut.

"I have to try, don't I? Maybe whatever I have to do will just, come to me." Aang told you hopefully as Momo landed on his shoulder.
"I think you can do it, Aang." Katara said with a reassuring smile.
"Yeah, we're all going to get eaten by a spirit monster." Sokka said with a familiar tone.

It was your turn to elbow him in the gut.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun sets and night falls, and Aang was outside walking around, trying to call out the spirit monster as the rest of you were inside the building.
"This isn't right. We can't sit here and cower while Aang waits for some monster to show up." Sokka argued.
"If anyone can save us, he can," Kay-fon said.

"Yeah, he may be the Avatar, but he's still a kid, he needs help," You retorted watching the window as Twig watched too. Suddenly, a huge black and white creature appeared behind Aang staring at him.
"Woah, Hei Bai is huge," You said with wide eyes.

"The Avatar's methods are... unusual," The leader tilted his head a little as Aang runs around Hei Bai as it destroys the village.
"It doesn't seem too interested in what he's saying. Maybe we should go help him," Sokka said trying to stand up.
"No. Only the Avatar stands a chance against the Hei Bai," Kay-fon told him.

"Aang will figure out the right thing to do, Sokka," Katara said reassuringly. Just then, Hei Bai sends Aang flying and crashes onto a building.
"That's it. He needs help!" Sokka shouted as he got his weapon and went outside.

"Sokka wait!" Katara yelled, but the leader stops her.
"It's not safe!" He said, but you opened the window and jumped right out.
"(Y/N)!" She shouted after you.
"Two people ain't gonna cut it," You said as you set Twig down, making him squeak and chirp for you to come back.

"Hei Bai, over here!" Sokka threw his boomerang at Hei Bai, but it did nothing and the spirit monster ran towards him.
"Yin yang, why don't you try a criminal!" You shouted as you threw a big boulder as him.

He stopped as the rock hit, but kept going towards you two.
"Sokka, (Y/N)! go back!" Aang's shouted at you two.
"We'll fight him together, Aang!" Sokka said as you nodded.
"I don't want to fight him unless I-" You saw the spirit monster about to grab Sokka.

"Boomerang, watch out!" You ran and shoved him out of the way, but then you felt the hint hand grabbed you. Hei Bai then ran rapidly fast to the forest.

"(Y/N)!!"